Propane Run - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Maryland
Propane Run

I am starting my project to get a full size Kenmore front load washer and gas dryer in the garage. Looking at the run of propane I have to install, the directions call for 1/2 inch because of the distance. Looking at what we have on the trailer, there seems to be hoses everywhere, should I keep with that? I am planning on connecting up at the front, off the right side, after the regulator. I am looking for a splitter, as I do not want to use a QD in this application. Any guidance or ideas on this install would be awesome!

Thanks,

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #2

Oklahoma
You might want to look into using the flexible gas line CSST, that is nice for applications like you are doing.
Gastite® System Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST)

Another thing, you may have to get a larger regulator that can supply the volume you may need when momma has cookies baking, the furnace is running and the teenager is drying one pair of jeans.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I always used copper line for my LP. I believe is was Type K for in ground and Type L for interior use. On some of my older travel trailers they used good old black iron.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:39 AM   #4

Florida
Cale,
Just a thought here, do you use your garage fridge? I had thought about removing mine and putting in a large propane bottle (with venting) in that space. I know you have an external tank and dont want the hassle of the extra bottle but it would make running your piping a lot shorter, and if ran out, it wouldn't cripple your heat, stove, and hot water.

I now return you to those who actually know about this stuff. 😄
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:02 AM   #5

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You might want to look into using the flexible gas line CSST, that is nice for applications like you are doing.
Gastite® System Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST)

Another thing, you may have to get a larger regulator that can supply the volume you may need when momma has cookies baking, the furnace is running and the teenager is drying one pair of jeans.
Thanks for that info on the tubing, that is what I will be using, lots of great reviews on the tubing and associated connectors.

As far as the regulator, I hadn't thought about that aspect of this project...from what I can find, the rating on most RV regulators are rated at 160,000 BTU, I think I should be good, the water heater is 12,000, the furnace is 40,000, the dryer will be pulling 20,000...then the stove. We have only used the oven twice in 15 months, we use our Traeger for nearly all of our cooking. It works as a fantastic oven, grill, and smoker.

Cale

Old 02-20-2016, 01:04 AM   #6

Idaho
I would second what sundancer said about the CSST, good product. I might think about tying in pre regulator and adding one at the dryer. This is commonly done in the residential gas piping world. Only two downsides to the CSST that I can think of. One is that it doesn't carry the same volume of fuel, I don't think that will be an issue in this case, but it does come into play and should be taken into account. I would assume the flow rate charts for any product would be available online, if not let me know I have all the charts in my work rig, oh yeah BTW I do this for a living. Other downside is the cost, not so much the pipe its self but the fittings tend to add up quick. We use it when we can. The cost of it is, in some cases, is out weighed by the time it takes to cut, thread, and fit steal pipe.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:26 AM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Cale,
Just a thought here, do you use your garage fridge? I had thought about removing mine and putting in a large propane bottle (with venting) in that space. I know you have an external tank and dont want the hassle of the extra bottle but it would make running your piping a lot shorter, and if ran out, it wouldn't cripple your heat, stove, and hot water.

I now return you to those who actually know about this stuff. 😄
We do use that fridge...more in the summer, less in the winter...

The run will come in handy, as I will T the end for next winter...I will be putting in a catalytic heater.

Cale

Old 02-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
I would second what sundancer said about the CSST, good product. I might think about tying in pre regulator and adding one at the dryer. This is commonly done in the residential gas piping world. Only two downsides to the CSST that I can think of. One is that it doesn't carry the same volume of fuel, I don't think that will be an issue in this case, but it does come into play and should be taken into account. I would assume the flow rate charts for any product would be available online, if not let me know I have all the charts in my work rig, oh yeah BTW I do this for a living. Other downside is the cost, not so much the pipe its self but the fittings tend to add up quick. We use it when we can. The cost of it is, in some cases, is out weighed by the time it takes to cut, thread, and fit steal pipe.
I run the tankless water heater on a 45 foot run of 1/2" CSST plus the cook stove without any problems as of yet. This is a residence so the volume demand should be higher than the RV.

The really good thing about CSST is it is RV owner proof. No flaring, no threading and no sweating that 1/4" measurement when using black pipe. The fittings are expensive but the ease of use is really worth it.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:41 AM   #9

Maryland
Quote:
This is the dryer we will be getting: Sears.com

Our trailers are set at 11 inches WC, I meet that requirement, but do not see a flow rate requirement, other than it says that runs greater than 20 ft use a larger pipe. I was looking at the 3/4 inch, that should keep up in the winter time when I have the dryer and a heater installed on that trunk line.

With regards to the pre regulator, how does it fit into the equation...is this another low pressure regulator? Is it something like a Dormont product? Will it restrict more flow, since there will be two low pressure regulators in line? Currently, I have the trailer regulator out of the equation, as the 120 gallon cylinder has its own.

If you are close to Southern Maryland, you are more than welcome to stop by!!

Cale

Old 02-20-2016, 01:59 AM   #10

Oklahoma
If using a rigid pipe, the rigid pipe should be ½ inch
IPS. If acceptable under local codes and ordinances
and when acceptable to your gas supplier, inch
approved tubing may be used where lengths are less
than 20 ft. (6.1 m). Larger tubing should be used for
lengths in excess of 20 ft. (6.1 m). Failure to do so can
result in fi re, explosion, or death.

I read that as saying less than 20 foot the 3/8ths supply tube can be used. Also, 1/2" can be used. Finally, if over 20 foot larger pipe should be used.
What I get from that if over 20 foot 1/2" is to be used instead of 3/8ths.
The 1/2" is the larger of the two so it should be OK. The Owl may read it differently since it's his line of work.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:38 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
With regards to the pre regulator, how does it fit into the equation...is this another low pressure regulator?
Cale
I'm gonna take a wild a$$ guess and say the it's pre as in before the regulator.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #12

Maryland
I've been reading some literature from ProFlex...lots of information, but from what I can figure, I will have no more than a 40ft run, from the trailer regulator. I could get away with 1/2 inch, but that is only able to to push 56k BTU over that distance, so I will go with a 3/4 inch run.

They have a lot of nice fittings, which will make the install look nice.

I am surprised though, that as tedious as gas line installation is, the installers actually seemed to have got what is installed correct.

Cale

Old 02-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #13

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I'm gonna take a wild a$$ guess and say the it's pre as in before the regulator.
Bingo.......
Basically coming "straight" of the tank will give you higher pressure, or I should say, less pressure drop. I would say you are good to go with 1/2" at 100' it still carries 47k btu's. I haven't looked at the link that was posted to the dryer but it should have a small regulator on it so that has to be taken into account as well.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #14

Idaho
https://www.gastite.com/downloads/pd...es_propane.pdf

Not sure if you found this or not......
Old 02-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Those HD guys! They are masters of guesses and Cresent wrenches
Old 02-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Those HD guys! They are masters of guesses and Cresent wrenches
Thank you, that's the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 AM   #17

Maryland
For those with gas line knowledge...is there any problem/concerns with mixing copper and black iron fittings? Once I have the line built, it looks much cheaper just to use the iron fittings instead of the expensive brand for the csst lines.

Cale

Old 02-22-2016, 01:11 AM   #18

Oklahoma
No problem, black pipe is threaded at the termination end and is the coupled to flare fittings for attaching valves and tubing.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #19

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
For those with gas line knowledge...is there any problem/concerns with mixing copper and black iron fittings? Once I have the line built, it looks much cheaper just to use the iron fittings instead of the expensive brand for the csst lines.

Cale
Copper and black iron is fine to mix. Copper and galvanized is another story. Are you not planning on using csst at all?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #20

Maryland
Quote:
Copper and black iron is fine to mix. Copper and galvanized is another story. Are you not planning on using csst at all?
Yes, I am planning on using CSST...I should have asked if there was a problem mixing CSST with copper or black iron. The Lowe's here has a substantial selection of the later for connectors, but not much for CSST...I am thinking of doing a CSST run down the right side, then hose across the bottom and through the floor. This will allow me to by only 25 ft of CSST, as I can only find 25 or 75 ft lengths...50 ft would be great though.

Cale