Propane Quick Connect - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

Arizona
Propane Quick Connect

Well, I finally got my BBQ propane quick connect installed correctly. On the high pressure side. It was easy enough to move from where I had it originally. On the (wrong) low pressures side.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #2

Arizona
OK, after all my work (not much), I find another grill that is designed to work off of the low pressure side of the propane system. And they offer an option to run it on the high pressure side. It's hard to win at this when you don't really know what your doing.

Amazon.com: Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill: Automotive

Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

New York
I don't know if you would be happy with the low pressure stove.....we had one on our Sunline....used it for years....only because we didn't have a solution for using the quick connect with a high pressure stove.....once we stopped using the quick connect with a high pressure stove we realized what we were missing as far as the heat on the stove.......

Arlan where do you store your propane hose - can you take an overall picture with the cover off.......

Thanks!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
I don't know if you would be happy with the low pressure stove.....we had one on our Sunline....used it for years....only because we didn't have a solution for using the quick connect with a high pressure stove.....once we stopped using the quick connect with a high pressure stove we realized what we were missing as far as the heat on the stove.......

Arlan where do you store your propane hose - can you take an overall picture with the cover off.......

Thanks!
I can take a picture but I am not sure what you been by "overall picture with the cover off". Also, I haven't stored the hose yet but, but being a quick connect hose I imagine I could store it anywhere. I would most likely just store it in my general hose storage container. I will get some pictures today and get them up for you.

I was trying to upgrade BBQ's so thanks for the heads up. Although I read all the reviews on Amazon and I don't think I found a single review that complained about not enough heat. There were other complaint, sharp edges, failing spot welds, hose not long enough etc.

Also you stated above ".....once we stopped using the quick connect with a high pressure stove we realized what we were missing as far as the heat on the stove......." Did you mean low pressure?

Arlan
Old 12-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

New York
Arlan...yes the low pressure.

As far as the picture....I was wondering how/where the hose was stored...if you have not done so....then I guess I'll wait until you put it on and ask that you post a picture then.

Wondering how hard it will be to reach the quick connect with the propane cover on. Thinking out loud!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

Arizona
Pictures

Here are some pictures of the whole deal. Grill setup, quick connect etc. I just open the door for the propane tank, feed the hose up the open are and plug it in behind the tank. You have to consider what is going to be accessible and not when installing the tee and quick connect.

Picture with propane tank removed.

I suppose you could just store it here using a Velcro wrap to secure it.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Arizona
More

Here are some more pictures. After I selected Preview Post I got stuck adding anything.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #8

New York
AHHHHH!!!!! we have our tanks mounted on the tongue and have a propane cover........we'll have to look at it more closely......your setup makes it easy to leave it right in the compartment.

Thanks for taking the photos!
Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #9

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Here are some pictures of the whole deal. Grill setup, quick connect etc. I just open the door for the propane tank, feed the hose up the open are and plug it in behind the tank. You have to consider what is going to be accessible and not when installing the tee and quick connect.

Picture with propane tank removed.

I suppose you could just store it here using a Velcro wrap to secure it.

Question: Seeing the connection it looks like only one of the tanks is going to feed the quick connect? Am I seeing correct.
What would if that tank goes empty , and you are cooking something important?

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Question: Seeing the connection it looks like only one of the tanks is going to feed the quick connect? Am I seeing correct.
What would if that tank goes empty , and you are cooking something important?
You are correct on that. If you want high pressure LP you have to choose one tank or the other. I run the RV off of the other tank. If I ran out of propane using the BBQ I would also be out of LP for everything else. Good call though. I need to be sure to set the regulator to draw off of the passenger side tank. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #11

Saskatchewan
I see that by looking at your pictures that you still have the regulator/flame control assembly on the grill, correct? (The one where the disposable bottle mounts to.)

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by knesdad View Post
I see that by looking at your pictures that you still have the regulator/flame control assembly on the grill, correct? (The one where the disposable bottle mounts to.)

Dave.
Yes, that is correct.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #13

New Jersey
Arlan,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We just purchased a Cuisinart CGG-306 grill. It is designed to attach directly to a propane tank (not bottle). The regulator is part of the connection to the propane tank. While I could take an extra 20 LB propane tank along, it would be much easier to connect into the low pressure side of the RV’s propane feed. I assume the grill should work fine off the low pressure feed?

Is the white box with the lever that selects the tank also the regulator? If correct, is the feed from the bottom the low pressure/regulated feed? I assume tapping in there would be my best bet to insert a T fitting and quick connect?

If you could share a parts list, it would be appreciated. Otherwise it will likely take several trips back and forth to Home Depot to get the proper thread sizes. It looks like the fittings are all brass. Is a liquid sealant, or Teflon tape needed to seal the threads?

Interestingly, when I poked around the tank on the other side, I see it connects to what looks like a regulator labeled 30 LB. Is this an overpressure measure, and not a low pressure regulator?

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #14

Arizona
You need to determine whether your grill runs off of high pressure or low pressure. If you tap into your propane system anywhere along the hose that is coming out of the bottom of the regulator you will be on the low pressure side. I did just that when installing my Wave heaters. I installed a quick connect in the wrong spot (low pressure side) and my BBQ needed high pressure so I had to move it to where you see it in this thread. Although where my quick connect is located at a reduced pressure on 30 pounds it is fine.

Sorry, I can't help with a parts list. I was one of those guys that made the 5 or 6 trips to the hardware store buying and returning fittings.

Read here and gain a little more knowledge on the subject of quick connect and what works in what situation.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...help-1425.html
Old 05-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Is the white thing with the switch a regulator or just a switch between tanks?
Plapper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plapper2000 View Post
Is the white thing with the switch a regulator or just a switch between tanks?
It is both a regulator and switch between tanks.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:30 AM   #17

Oklahoma
Thanks for the quick reply. I finally decided to go for a separate 20 lb tank. I always liked being able to have a distribution tree with a lantern on top and the ability to run two LP devices at the picnic table. The picnic table isn't always next to the trailer. Not a cheap option. $30 for an extra tank. $25 each for the hoses X 2. $40 for a distribution tree (30"). $120 total. But an endless supply of gas and light at the picnic table. Plus I can put the tank and lantern outside the kids tent and they can turn it on in the middle of the night if needed.
Plapper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #18

Michigan
I run a Weber Q200 from the low pressure side. I removed the regulator from the grill and attached a QD right in it's place - no issues and grills great - has for the past 4 years. Plus the grill draws off the active tank based on the changeover valve position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140505 Propane QD.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	996  
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #19

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
I run a Weber Q200 from the low pressure side. I removed the regulator from the grill and attached a QD right in it's place - no issues and grills great - has for the past 4 years. Plus the grill draws off the active tank based on the changeover valve position.
Thanks Don,

Any chance you have a part number for the T fitting, or know what the thread size needed is? I hate to have to make multiple trips to get the correct parts. Did you use teflon tape or liquid sealant on the threads? My new grill has the regulator on the end that connects to the propane tank. I assume I can replace that and connect it to the low pressure side of the trailer regulator, just as you did.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #20

Michigan
pdonoghu - I went to Home Depot for the fittings - standard 3/8" brass tee and 2 close nipples. One nipple will go into the changeover device in place of the flare fitting that is there now. Next is the tee, then the other close nipple to install the quick disconnect onto. Finally the flare fitting you removed from the changeover valve and then reconnect the factory hose. Turn the gas on and spray soapy water on all connections to check for leaks. The quick disconnect I got from Tractor Supply - the QD isn't cheap, but you don't want cheap when messing with gas. I recommend you never use teflon tape on gas applications. I use pipe dope/paste. I think the brand is Oatey (also from HD). But really any pipe paste or dope will work. Check the label it'll tell you want it is comatible with. Also, your assumption is correct - I took the regulator off the grill and attached another QD to it for the hose. You can also skip the 2nd QD and install the hose directly to the grill. I preferred the QD so I can completely remove the hose and place it inside the grill for storage. I even went so far as to drill the orifice on my grill out to the next size up - we like to sear venison tenderloin and we need a very hot fire to do so

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote