Power Control System - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

Maryland
Power Control System

My 3950'is equipped with a Precision Circuits Inc Power Control System. So far, I enjoy the fact that it takes the guess work out if being plugged into a 30 amp circuit. Today thoug, I had all three ACs set to their respective temps while we were house cleaning. However, because we were vacuuming, the system kicked the rear AC off because of not enough power, as advertised, but in passing, I happened to notice there was an E7 for Zones 3 on the thermostat. Dometic literature says E7 occurs when there is a lack of 120v. Has anyone seen this before? If so, was it in comjunction with the Power Control System shedding loads?

Thanks,
Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:32 AM   #2

Texas
This link is to a thread regarding this E7 error code, which I believe was ultimately due to a wiring issue with the garage AC...

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...anel-1760.html

My control panel flashed this E7 error code once when I was on the generator. I had everything running including all the ACs and when I plugged a roaster oven into the exterior outlet I lost power on one side of the electrical panel. One of my breakers on the front of the generator had tripped and after it was reset I was back in business. I turned off the garage AC and didn't have any problem finishing off my brisket in the roaster oven.

I think this E7 error code is somewhat of a catch all that could be attributed to a variety of issues?

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:33 AM   #3

Maryland
Thanks for the thread, it was a good read. I will be installing a wireless control for the lights in the soffit, at that time, I will check the AC wiring between the control boxes, hopefully everything is good to go. I will check the bus bar as you mentioned int the suggested thread. One more thing I will check will be the transfer switch, I moved it off the floor and attached to the same stud that the converter is attached. Something in there may have wiggled loose...

Cale

Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

Maryland
I had sent in an email to Precision Circuits Inc concerning this problem. Below is a copy of the email I sent with the tech's responses. Since yesterday was the first day I have noticed this, I am unsure if this has been ongoing, I just happen to have all three ACs set to on and was letting the automated systems take care of everything themselves. What do you guys think?

Cale

__________________________________________________ __________
I have a Dutchmen Voltage with a Power Control System installed. I have two questions:
When I start the generator, I have immediate AC in the trailer, but it takes a couple minutes for the power to be applied to the monitored circuits. My system is a two digit display panel and a select button for power selection. Is this normal operations for this unit?

"Yes. This is a soft start feature, allowing the Generator to warm up before turning on all the loads. This feature also helps the Transfer Switch life. When Mini-PCS senses generator it turns off the controlled circuits, allows the transfer switch to switch the relays without a massive sparking load, and then turns the loads back on."

My second question, I have a three zone Dometic AC system. I get an E7 error on the rear zone when the system tries to start, but is turned off due to the Power Control System. For Dometic, the E7 error is loss of 120v to the circuit board. Is this error a side effect of the power being removed from the AC system?

"Correct. Two of the A/C's we can control with signal wires, however, the third can only be controlled by turning off the 120V power."

Old 01-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #5

Nevada
Look at your current draw it is seeing an over current an the main side of A or B circuits. If you look in your breaker panel you will see that one side will have two Air conditioners on it. My unit has zone1 and zone3 on the same main circuit. See attached.50 AMPcontrol.pdf

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #6

Maryland
Good News!!!! Thanks for the wiring diagram, Precision Circuits sent me one dated 2012, but looks the same. With that being said, I can confirm that the system works as advertised, now know how it is wired. I came home yesterday, turned on the main AC (monitored by sensing wire), then turned on the garage AC (not monitored, but load shed by removing 120V leg). Amps were near 27, put a glass of water in the microwave and turned on, sure enough, as soon as current peaked at 41, all four loads were sequentially turned off (according to the panel). The garage AC was completely off and the E7 code flashing, the main AC compressor kicked off, but the fan was still running. After 2 minutes, the loads were turned back on. The main AC hour glass popped up, then started up. The E7 code disappeared and the garage AC turned back on. I am pretty happy with that, funny though, have had the trailer for 3 months (full time) and always turn the three ACs on and let the system figure it out, but never really monitored the actual operation.

Cale

Old 01-28-2015, 01:26 AM   #7

Nevada
Cale
You can only use 30 amps per circuit that controller will not let you use more than that. for safety reasons. see this attachment it is similar.
voltage 3200 wiring and plumbing.pdf

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
Old 01-28-2015, 01:39 AM   #8

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Cale
You can only use 30 amps per circuit that controller will not let you use more than that. for safety reasons. see this attachment it is similar.
Attachment 1746
Yes, that is correct, which is why it shed all the loads to get below 30 amps. The spike from the microwave being turned on forced the Power Control System to shed all available loads to get below 30 amps. The system is nice, as we have yet to trip a 30 amp pedestal. I just did not know how the system was integrated into the trailer.

Cale

Old 01-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Cale
Attachment 1746
eightydo - I like that packet. Where were you able to get that from? I imagine my 3950 is close enough that I could figure out the rest, but it would be very nice to have a model specfic one for mine.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #10

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
eightydo - I like that packet. Where were you able to get that from? I imagine my 3950 is close enough that I could figure out the rest, but it would be very nice to have a model specfic one for mine.
I don't remember.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
Old 01-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #11

Texas
This thread had me scratching my head on two counts...

First, I wasn't sure if the E7 error I had was in fact my generator tripping a breaker or the "Power Control System" shedding the rear AC...
"Correct. Two of the A/C's we can control with signal wires, however, the third can only be controlled by turning off the 120V power."

Second in reviewing the Percision Circuits, Inc. brochures it mentions that when the Gen-Set is running the "Power Control System" goes to sleep and only displays the amp draw...
"Generator = Amp Display Only"
"Generator - Mini-PCS senses power to the Genenerator Hour Meter. In this mode Mini-PCS assumes enough power is available and goes to sleep. It displays the fact that Gen-Set is running, that all Loads are powered."

I reached out to Tech support...

First, Power is turned off only to the item (the AC) not to the panel. So when I plugged in my roaster oven on top of everything it did trip one of the breakers on the front of the generator cutting power to one side of the panel. The tech also mentioned that the "Power Control System" can only monitor the total amp draw and cannot distingush between the two sides of a 50 amp split panel.

Second, Most companies wire the "Power Control System" in the sleep mode on generator power. However, the Voltage is wired to shed loads while on generator power.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote