Outside gas gauge not connected - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #1

Virginia
Outside gas gauge not connected

Can someone send me a picture of the wiring connection for the outside gas gauge? I just got my new V3305 2013 and the exterior gauge is not connected, the level gauge is connected to the interior panel only. I have two options, take to a dealer for warranty that will cost a nice amount in gas or do myself. I already fixed my kitchen fan/light unit which connected incorrectly rotating in reverse. Some other minor issues but the unit is great.

Biankym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #2

California
My Voltage the fuel guage on the interior panel is for the generator and the one outside is for the fuel station. I know I have to put over 10 gallons in the tank just to make it register. I don't think they are very precise or accurate guage senders. I must say after filling it up a couple of times it seems to be getting better with more use.
Good luck with yours.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:12 AM   #3

Texas
the gauge on the outside of my V3305 doest work either...I am interested in this too.
firestone bags with AirRide wireless auto level Curt Q20 on R5 rails
Jbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

Ohio
I just dropped my 2013 voltage 3005 off yesterday to a dealer for some warranty work, and when I mentioned the outside fuel gauge not working he told me that if you only have a single tank model the only gauge that works is the inside gauge. The outside gauge is just a dummy gauge and only hooked up if you have the 2 tank model.
sprint151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint151 View Post
I just dropped my 2013 voltage 3005 off yesterday to a dealer for some warranty work, and when I mentioned the outside fuel gauge not working he told me that if you only have a single tank model the only gauge that works is the inside gauge. The outside gauge is just a dummy gauge and only hooked up if you have the 2 tank model.
There has to be a way to hook it up....
Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #6

Virginia
I got the response from Dutchmen, this gauge is a dummy. Im planing test with a toggle switch to use the sender for both gauges somebody posted previously that he did it and is working acceptable
Biankym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #7

Idaho
Does anyone know how much this tank holds on the 3305?
Satman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by satman View Post
does anyone know how much this tank holds on the 3305?
30 gallons
Old 03-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #9

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biankym View Post
I got the response from Dutchmen, this gauge is a dummy. Im planing test with a toggle switch to use the sender for both gauges somebody posted previously that he did it and is working acceptable
I complained about the non functioning outside gauge on our V 3105. It only has one shared 30 gal. tank for generator and fuel station. The good news is Camping World wired it up, and Dutchmen covered it under warranty.

The generator would not work, only got it to start once in 10 months. Camping World replaced the fuel pump, seems to be a common problem from the threads here. Now the generator fires right up!
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #10

Tennessee
Same with my 3305 outside gauge. I got Camping World to hook it up this winter while having the brakes fixed. Now the outside gauge works but I just notice this past weekend that the inside gauge now reads full no matter what. And still I have brakes that take a country mile to stop. grrrrrrrr
useless2resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #11

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by useless2resist View Post
Same with my 3305 outside gauge. I got Camping World to hook it up this winter while having the brakes fixed. Now the outside gauge works but I just notice this past weekend that the inside gauge now reads full no matter what. And still I have brakes that take a country mile to stop. grrrrrrrr
Same here, inside gauge now always reads full. I assume wiring up the outside gauge is causing the problem. I wonder if I can put a switch on the outside gauge to leave it disconnected most of the time, so the inside one works. We use the generator and have never used the fuel filler, but it convenient when outside to see how much gas is in the tank. If one were to put a switch in the circuit to the outside gauge, any idea if that would work, and which wire to switch off?
Old 05-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #12

New York
While we don't own a Voltage but do own a Rubicon - I have been told:

The gauge will read empty when not "turned on"

If you turn the gauge on - it will give you a reading

Sure enough it worked!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #13

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
While we don't own a Voltage but do own a Rubicon - I have been told:

The gauge will read empty when not "turned on"

If you turn the gauge on - it will give you a reading

Sure enough it worked!
It generally works that way if you have two gas tanks. If you only have one gas tank, Dutchmen does not connect the outside gauge, only the inside gauge works. As several of us have found, if you connect the outside gauge so it works when you press start; the inside gauge reads full all the time. I assume the inside gauge is getting "confused" by the additional resistance of the outside gauge now being in the loop. That's why I wondering if I can add a toggle switch to the outside panel to disconnect one of the wires. Hopefully that will allow the inside gauge to read correctly, and allow use of the outside gauge by flipping the toggle, and pressing the start button. Any electrical experts with advice? Otherwise I'm going to disconnect the outside gauge as the most important one to us is the inside one when running on the generator.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #14

Texas
This is an interesting thread...

So far I've only filled up my generator tank which will get me through a weekend, and I had to post to figure out the fuel gauge for the generator tank is on the inside panel.

Next week we have a Wednesday to Sunday music festival, so I'll need to fill both gas tanks, that's gonna cost about $250... OUCH!!! At least it's close to home so I won't have to burn at lot of diesel.

I'm glad I read this thread...
now I'll know what to expect with the pump station fuel gauge.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonoghu View Post
It generally works that way if you have two gas tanks. If you only have one gas tank, Dutchmen does not connect the outside gauge, only the inside gauge works. As several of us have found, if you connect the outside gauge so it works when you press start; the inside gauge reads full all the time. I assume the inside gauge is getting "confused" by the additional resistance of the outside gauge now being in the loop. That's why I wondering if I can add a toggle switch to the outside panel to disconnect one of the wires. Hopefully that will allow the inside gauge to read correctly, and allow use of the outside gauge by flipping the toggle, and pressing the start button. Any electrical experts with advice? Otherwise I'm going to disconnect the outside gauge as the most important one to us is the inside one when running on the generator.
If you want to try adding a switch to see if that helps I'd find a NO momentary push switch.
Once wired in the NO, normally open, switch will break the connection until you push the button to close the switch. That way you won't have to remember to toggle the switch when you want to check levels.

Normally Open Momentary Switch | eBay
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #16

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If you want to try adding a switch to see if that helps I'd find a NO momentary push switch.
Once wired in the NO, normally open, switch will break the connection until you push the button to close the switch. That way you won't have to remember to toggle the switch when you want to check levels.

Normally Open Momentary Switch | eBay
That's a brilliant suggestion! I'm going to try pulling the wires off the outside gauge, and see if that fixes the inside one. If it does, easy enough to wire in a momentary switch.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #17

New York
We have 2015 v3605 and used the generator this weekend to test, and run the fuel, however our inside gauge still reads full, any ideas!?
agspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Good discussion. Mine is the same since we only have one gas tank. After reading this thread, I'm thinking about installing a dpdt relay (or as many poles as required) in line with the sending unit and wiring it so the exterior gauge will be "active" when the pump is turned on, and sent to the interior gauge when the pump is off. Don't worry folks, I understand the need for it to be an intrinsically safe installation. To the laboratory....

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #19

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspencer View Post
We have 2015 v3605 and used the generator this weekend to test, and run the fuel, however our inside gauge still reads full, any ideas!?
Take a look at posts 13 and 14, your answer might be there.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Good discussion. Mine is the same since we only have one gas tank. After reading this thread, I'm thinking about installing a dpdt relay (or as many poles as required) in line with the sending unit and wiring it so the exterior gauge will be "active" when the pump is turned on, and sent to the interior gauge when the pump is off. Don't worry folks, I understand the need for it to be an intrinsically safe installation. To the laboratory....
No reason why your relay won't work but I bet you can get by with a dpst relay. Or as many poles as you said. Single throw would simply open and allow one gauge to read, when closed the other gauge would read.