Outside gas gauge not connected - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #21

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
No reason why your relay won't work but I bet you can get by with a dpst relay. Or as many poles as you said. Single throw would simply open and allow one gauge to read, when closed the other gauge would read.
The double throw will allow a circuit path to have a common origin and selectable destination. The sending unit would be connected to the common terminals. The normally closed contacts would go to the interior gauge. The normally open contacts would go to the outside gauge. Energizing the relay with the pump switch would send the signal to the exterior gauge.

EDIT: I think we're saying the same thing, terminology quark. I looked and only found one wire from the gauge hanging loose.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #22

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
The double throw will allow a circuit path to have a common origin and selectable destination. The sending unit would be connected to the common terminals. The normally closed contacts would go to the interior gauge. The normally open contacts would go to the outside gauge. Energizing the relay with the pump switch would send the signal to the exterior gauge.

EDIT: I think we're saying the same thing, terminology quark. I looked and only found one wire from the gauge hanging loose.
I admit, I haven't researched the circuit layout but just from running it through my empty head the gauge proper would have positive voltage applied to it and the negative side would come from the resistance loaded float. That's the way it was done in the automotive industry as I remember. If that's the case then only one side of the gauge would need to be switched.
My thinking would be to allow the default gauge to be switched open and then the other gauge to be closed via the relay.
That's a SWAG on my part due to my ignorance of the circuit.
Now, if you could get by with a single throw relay to make the switching work you could then use a transistor for switching purposes since the current to the gauge should be low.
A few options available but since you have your hands on the wires I'll yield to your ideas and wish you a successful smoke test when the time comes.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #23

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
A few options available but since you have your hands on the wires I'll yield to your ideas and wish you a successful smoke test when the time comes.
Haa yes, once the smoke comes out, you can't put it back in!

Simple is always best. My 30+ years of design, installation, and maintenance of automation systems tell me that a SPDT relay may work as you suggested since the other end of the exterior gauge may already be grounded. (Sorry, sometimes it's hard to explain to people that one knows what they're doing without making myself sound like some degree of jackass) I only found one unconnected wire with my quick look at the bundle underneath. Going to need to put some tools to it to make absolutely sure though. I originally got confused by your suggestion to use a DPST relay. ST implies that it is either NO or NC, and does not have both the NO and NC contacts that make it double throw. Pheww I'm getting a headache, better grab a Beveridge.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote