Onan 5500 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2016, 04:41 AM   #1

Colorado
Onan 5500

Looking for a little quick info on the Onan 5500 Gen set.

Noticed my 2015 Voltage had some oil dripping on the pavement the last couple of days. Finally got a chance to look at it this evening.

At first I thought the the oil filter was leaking but the seemed weird since the Gen. hasn't ran for a couple of weeks. When I opened the engine compartment I then noticed there look like oil all over the base of the engine. When I removed the oil plug a mixture of oil and gas came shooting out of the fill hole. I then drained about a gallon to maybe a gallon and half out the drain. Prior to storing it for a couple of weeks I drained the fuel out of the fuel bowel.

Right now I'm planning on refilling with oil and a new filter. I'll turn it over without starting a few times and then drain and refill with new filter. Once I get it running again for a little while I'll change everything again.

At this point I'm not sure why this has happened. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

As always thanks in advance.

bkuuz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #2

Florida
Just had the same thing happen on my lawn mower this weekend.
Root cause was needle valve in carb stuck open, flooding cylenders and crankcase with fuel.
Since you drained your bowl, and if you dont have a fuel shutoff, your needle probably stuck also.
I changed out my 12 year old carb, changed oil and filter, ran it for 15 minutes and changed oil and filter again. Also, when you first start it, there will be a lot of smoke. Dont be almarmed, it is just the oil that was forced into cylenders by the fuel, it will burn off in 5 minutes or so.
Runs good now.
Since you did not run it, most likely no damage other than stuck needle. Flush oil real good.
Just curious, do you have an electric fuel pump forcing fuel into the carb? Could be an unwanted effect of too much fuel.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

Florida
This happens more often than you think, I had a small engine shop back in the day. I always shut the gas off and run my engines dry,
I also put stabil in my 5 gal cans before filling them. The darn ethanol gas will leave a residue in the carb and this causes the float valve to stick, if it sticks open it can and will flood the crank case with gas.
Luckily you did not start it as that can ruin the engine and may cause a fire if a spark is present. Sea foam can help clean the mess out just follow directions on the can. good luck and Happy Camping
Old 09-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

Tennessee
I wouldn't run ethanol in any small engine, regardless of some mfgs saying up to 10% is fine.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #5

Florida
One thing I forgot to mention, pull your spark plugs before trying to crank it over, cylinders are probably full of fuel.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I wouldn't run ethanol in any small engine, regardless of some mfgs saying up to 10% is fine.
Totally agree. However, in Texas, ironically, it is very difficult to find pure gasoline.

The world is so upside down these days.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Totally agree. However, in Texas, ironically, it is very difficult to find pure gasoline.

The world is so upside down these days.
I just paid $2.70 for it here when "regular' unleaded was $1.89. Good thing my leaf blower and string trimmer go a long ways on 2 gallons
Old 09-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #8

Maryland
Are you suggesting that the GenSet has a fuel shut off valve somewhere? If so, where is it?

Curt and Dee

2015 Voltage 3600, Yel/Blk/Slvr Full Body Paint
2013 GMC 3500 Dually with Duramax
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote