Odd Tire Wear - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Odd Tire Wear

I noticed this weekend some odd tire wear on our Triton TH. The outside edge of all 4 tires is beginning to show signs of swooping. I wondered if it could be the positive camber in the axles, but as heavy as the trailer is, I would think the camber would be closer to neutral. I do have the factory Westlakes still on it with 3,000 miles or so. Has me puzzled since it is all four tires, and not just one or two like a bent axle. Any help would be appreciated.

bwwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #2

Colorado
Similar issue here

I have major wear on the inside of my tires. The shop I took it to last time (trailer repair shop) thought it may be the axel out of alignment (or bent) however they had no way to check it. I had them just put new tires on and will see how these do as we put a lot of miles on ours. If it happens again I hear some trailer shops have a tool that will check axel alignment very accurately. I've taken mine down enough dirt roads and certainly clipped a curb or two over the years so a bend is very possible.
In your situation with outside wear though that seems odd. Just call some trailer shops and ask if they can check axel alignment more than visually!

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:16 AM   #3

South Dakota
You might start here:

Lippert has an alignment system called Correct Track. A lot of newer rigs come with it installed from the factory. Our V3605 didn't. I had odd wear on the Westlakes, and a shop near Memphis performed an alignment check. Essentially it involves establishing a triangle between your pin or hitch and the front of your leading axle tires. The distance should be equal. If it's not, then the front axle needs to be aligned with the pin/hitch. Then the trailing axle gets aligned with the front or leading axle.

The shop wouldn't install the system, but it did let me know that was part of my problem. Wear on the inside of your tires might indicate axles that have lost their arch.

Good luck.
2003 H-D FLHP/2010 H-D FXDC
xhogboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #4

Wyoming
Check out my thread on this issue...

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...eted-5798.html
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

North Carolina
So Lippert has this alignment part to align their axels to their frames...

My Triton has the same issue. Just some outside wear on all 4 tires.

Overloaded would be inside wear
Toe in would cause feathering with outside wear
Camber would cause outside wear.

I also want to point out the early model Tritons have sagging spring problems. Look ast new model year pictures or even at a live trailer compared to yours.

Just my thought
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
So Lippert has this alignment part to align their axels to their frames...
While I'm no big fan of Lippert (indifferent)... to be fair, they didn't design the part. They buy up other companies that design/invent/market RV parts, and place them under their umbrella.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote