No Bluetooth or DVD in Bedroom? I must be missing something. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

Utah
No Bluetooth or DVD in Bedroom? I must be missing something.

Hello all!! We just purchased a used 2014 Voltage 3895, brought it home yesterday and started cleaning. I noticed that there is not Bluetooth for the soundbar in the living room or in the garage and no DVD player for the TV in the master. This is a really nice trailer, I am surprised that it is lacking this much in technology. Am I missing something?

If I am correct, any suggestions on fixing these issues?

jersgirl060606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #2

Colorado
Nope, you are correct, the Voltage toyhaulers are really deficient in the electronics department.

We don't watch DVD's in the Living Room, so moved it to the Bedroom.

For TV, we have DirecTV at home. The newer Genie HD DVR. So went on to SolidSignal.com and purchased a "wireless video bridge" and two "mini Genie" devices. Bought power supplies for the Genie HD DVD and three for mini Genies.

So leave the Genie HD DVR power supply at the house and one in the Voltage. Wired a mini Genie power supply behind outside TV, the Garage TV and the Bedroom TV.

So, we bring the Genie down and power it up, the wireless video bridge stays in the AV cabinet in the Living Room. We keep a mini Genie in the Bedroom. We can move a mini Genie from the Garage to Outside whenever we like.

Replaced the worthless Haier TV in the Bedroom with a Visio. Works much better, just a tad bigger than the Haier, but fits the cabinet. Then added the shelf below the TV, in the pic. It holds the DVD player, a mini-Genie and an HDMI switch.

That's how we've done it! Works just great. OH, and we have a self storing HD antenna on the roof.

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #3

Colorado
The living room sound bar and garage stereo in my 2016 3200 are both Bluetooth capable. The trailer only had a DVD player in the living room when delivered.
Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #4

Colorado
Its4,
True, both are Bluetooth capable. What disappointed me, not being Bluetooth wise at the time...
I bought the hardware that I though would allow me to Bluetooth connect the Garage stereo to the Sony sound bar above the Living Room TV.

Wrong. Both devices can connect to a device wanting to send them data, but neither can broadcast data to another device.

So the nice Kenwood stereo is sort of a waste, cuz there are speakers in the Garage and speakers outside...but none in the Living Room or Bedroom.

And I've decided I am not going to tear everything apart trying get speaker wire to the Living Room and Bedroom.

Ppppffffttt!!!

Pirate
Old 12-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #5

Colorado
I get it. The Kenwood can't transmit over Bluetooth...

That would have been a nice feature to have.
Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #6

California
do you have a sat dish on top of the trailer or are you using a portable outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Nope, you are correct, the Voltage toyhaulers are really deficient in the electronics department.

We don't watch DVD's in the Living Room, so moved it to the Bedroom.

For TV, we have DirecTV at home. The newer Genie HD DVR. So went on to SolidSignal.com and purchased a "wireless video bridge" and two "mini Genie" devices. Bought power supplies for the Genie HD DVD and three for mini Genies.

So leave the Genie HD DVR power supply at the house and one in the Voltage. Wired a mini Genie power supply behind outside TV, the Garage TV and the Bedroom TV.

So, we bring the Genie down and power it up, the wireless video bridge stays in the AV cabinet in the Living Room. We keep a mini Genie in the Bedroom. We can move a mini Genie from the Garage to Outside whenever we like.

Replaced the worthless Haier TV in the Bedroom with a Visio. Works much better, just a tad bigger than the Haier, but fits the cabinet. Then added the shelf below the TV, in the pic. It holds the DVD player, a mini-Genie and an HDMI switch.

That's how we've done it! Works just great. OH, and we have a self storing HD antenna on the roof.

Pirate
mscaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

Texas
For music and Tablet\PC based movie sound, I sprung for a high quality portable Bluetooth speaker system. (Bose. There are some other really good ones)

So when I'm in bed, the sound system is near me. When I'm showering and getting ready, the sound system is with me. When I step outside on the porch, it can easily be relocated.

I do still use all the "zone 1 & 2" speakers, that are all over the dang RV, for normal television viewing. THAT, they work for nicely.

Mine is much smaller than the Voltage Castles. If I had one of those, I love the previous post for deploying the Direct TV Genie and the wireless bridging for the multiple displays in various rooms. Slick!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:50 AM   #8

Colorado
Yes, we have a Winegard Slimline HD antenna mounted on the roof.

Self searching, self storing...very nice, except for places like Lava Hot Springs, Idaho. Where the topography blocks the antenna from finding the satellite.

Pirate
Old 12-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #9

Arizona
My 3600 has the living room DVD also wired into the bedroom. The garage stereo/DVD also goes to the outside TV.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #10

Nevada
We have a 2015 3895, We couldn't get the soundbar to work with the Haier TV, we replaced the TV with a LG 50" because we use Netflex more then the DVD player. We also replaced the master bedroom TV to have Netflex also, but we do have a small DVD player in the bedroom. We also have Directv to all TV's and the Travler Antenna on the roof. I added another cable to the wetbay so I can use the RV park cable, and added a switch to change from Park Cable to DirecTV. If you want to get to your wiring, remove the cabinet in the bathroom and you will be behind the main TV.....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #11

Utah
That is what I am trying to figure out, do I buy a Bluetooth adapter to plug in to aux port to play music from phone, or do I just say screw it and buy a portable speaker as snakebitten recommends. I am not sure the best option.

We are not full timers, camp about 10 times per year during weekends. I do not have nor do I need cable for this. We boondock most times and just want to be able to watch dvd's in bed. Will probably replace the tv in the master w/dvd combo.

I am just blown away by how much you pay for these buggers and they don't include basic stuff like Bluetooth. It is basic now right? LOL
jersgirl060606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:17 AM   #12

Texas
Actually, mine did come with bluetooth built into the Furrion Receiver/DVD player. And there are 6 speakers with 2 zones.
(zone 2 is outdoor pair of speakers. Zone 1 is a pair in the ceiling in the main area of the RV, and a second pair in the overhead in bed)

Feature wise, it's a nice setup. And for television viewing the sound quality is only ok. The problem is I really enjoy music and the built in system just doesn't cut it.

There are some portables out there that are both amazing in sound quality and are so easy to just set them where you want your music.

Someday I might actually upgrade the built in system. I'm tempted. It would require extending the replacement ceiling mount speakers with a couple of inches of additional depth. To get good sound from wall/ceiling mount speakers requires stuff designed for 4" walls or more. RV's don't accommodate that usually. And subwoofers can take up precious space too!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
I have really poor hearing...

But even I can tell how bad the stock RV sound systems are.

I use a portable blue tooth stereo speaker that IMHO does a better job, it can also be plugged up using an ear phone jack. One major advantage is that I can set it right next to me so I can hear it, that way I don't have to turn it up loud enough to piss the neighbors off.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote