Newby family of 4 looking to fill time in a 3950 or 3895 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

Colorado
Newby family of 4 looking to fill time in a 3950 or 3895

Ok so good chance my family will be moving into a RV for the next two to three years.

I'm looking at 2012-2013 3950s and 3895s. Looking for opinions on these two models and any other you may recommend.

Trying to stay under $45K and I've found some options. What advice do have when buying a used RV from an individual or dealer.

We are new to RVing other than renting for camping trips.

Back story-- my wife and I are both in the military and it looks like we're moving. She will be working in Kansas City and I'll be stationed at Whiteman AFB MO. So we are looking at setting up shop in the middle.

If you have one of these RVs for sale let me know.

Thanks everyone.

MattDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Hi and welcome to the forums!

I don't have an answer for you but there are several full timing members on here that will be along shortly to help you out. I know there is at least one member that is in the military and currently stationed somewhere along the East Coast. He and his family have been full timing in theirs for a few years now.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #3

Tennessee
I'll give the same boring advice I always do, start from the top down. Climb up on the roof and look for cracks in plastic vents and caulking, if you find any, run like the wind. RV's are extremely susceptible to water penetration, it's no fun to live in an RV with water and mold damage.

Of course this applies to any camper, the big boys will chime in on the Voltage models.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #4

Arizona
What ever you get you'll be stashing a huge chunk-of-change with housing allowances for the both of you.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #5

Colorado
That's the plan.

Looked at rentals and there is real nothing in the middle so it's either live in a camper on the lake or pay $1600 before utilities and I drive 75 miles one way.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #6

Florida
Two of the things that I remember about my 3950 that would make it difficult for full-time and with kids are:
1. The garage is not very well insulated and will require supplemental heat for your children back there.
2. Although the center island looks awesome, it is really a pain in the neck when it comes to using up space. If someone is sitting at the bar stools and someone at the stink sink or stove it is almost impossible to get from the front of the coach to the back of the coach.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #7

Washington
Matt,

I am also in the military but we do not full time in ours. We are PCSing from JBLM to Indiana right now and will end up with about 45 days in the camper when we get settled. We also have 2 and 4 year old girls and two dogs. We previously lived in Leavenworth, KS and traveled that part of Missouri quite a bit. Along with a lack of rental houses, there is a lack of camp grounds in the KC area.

The winters there will be rough in a camper. You will have to get an external propane bottle to keep the unit warm and will probably want to look at additional protection for the gap underneath. We were camping in KS for a night that got to 22 in a previous unit, the heater was on most of the night and we used almost an entire 30lb bottle of propane every day.

My girls sleep in the garage too. We have a small electric space heater for the cold nights which keeps them pretty warm.

My unit is only a couple of years old, but you will be fixing things on any new or used camper you buy, especially after 2 years of daily use. As long as you can handle that, you will be fine.

Bob
Old 05-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #8

Colorado
Typically handy enough to fix anything on my own especially with the internet today.

Garage will be my son's bedroom and my daughter will be in the loft.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #9

Colorado
My wife is pretty set on the 3895. The hard to find in our price range.

We are in Colorado springs and found one in Austin Texas that fits the budget.

Just waiting on final word either the military is moving us or not. Should know sometime this week.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #10

Colorado
You don'r say if you have any Children. Our 3950 is great for my wife and I and plenty of room for occasional visitors. The 3950 has a Queen size loft which provides space for tons of storage. We've used a couple of cube heaters in ours in cold weather. One heater in the garage area and one in the living area. They do most of the heat work and the campground pays the electric?. The garage area works well as an eating area, office, etc. We do wish that the master bathroom door didn't open to the living area. Nothing you buy will be perfect. You just need to write down the cons for each one and decide what you can live with. Good luck!!
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #11

Colorado
Two kids.

Thirteen year old son and his room will be the garage.

Five year old daughter gets the loft.