New Year's trip - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #1

Arizona
New Year's trip

Buddy and I loaded up our RZR's and wives and went to Roper Lake State Park outside of Safford AZ for a week. We awoke to a light dusting of snow on New Year's Day and freezing temps. We had the Voltage heater set to 65 at night to keep the basement warm. During the day we used an electric heater to keep the people warm. The garage was terribly cold inside.

Then the larger snow storm came a day later and dropped about 4 inches of snow on us. It got down to 17 by the next morning but we were still toasty warm. In the week we were there we almost went through one bottle of propane. Having the electric heat saves on the propane.

Daytime temps melted much of the snow in camp over the next couple of days and turned the place into mud, which our RZR's loved. We made a RZR trip up Mt. Graham on an un-plowed highway with about six inches of snow on it and had a ball.

Roper Lake is a real nice state park. The gravel campsites are long and wide and only in need of sewer hookups. Each campsite has a picnic table located on a concrete slab under a large wooden canopy. Most of the campers in our area left soon after the snow arrived.

In five years of ownership, this was the coldest trip we've made with the Voltage and it performed flawlessly. And the water lines and tanks didn't freeze

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:51 AM   #2

California
We have the 3305 and our garage is much colder than the rest of the trailer too. It’s roughly 1/3 of the trailer and I think it only has two ducts which might only be for cooling because the living area A/C doesn’t have heat in our rig. We have to use the fireplace blower to heat that area. Our bedroom gets really warm so we always sleep with the door open to the living area.

Nice to know you did okay in the cold. We camped in barely freezing weather a few years ago in Paso Robles and everyone’s fresh water hoses froze except ours because I disconnected it that afternoon. My rig has the tank heaters but I haven’t had to use them yet.

At 39 feet and change I get nervous about any campground, especially State locations unless we have been there before in the past with a smaller trailer and know it will work. We have been sticking to desert and independent campgrounds with long spots!

Old 01-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #3

Colorado
Heating 33' Triton

I'm living in CO this winter in my 2951 Triton. Here is how I keep it warm and happy:
1) skirting, makes a HUGE difference. I paid $2500 for custom insulated skirting that snaps on and off in about 10min.
2) Mr. Buddy propane heater and external propane tank. At least three times more efficient than the factory furnace. I keep the furnace set at 50F for when the Mr. Buddy can't keep up.
3) Tank heaters. I sliced the belly cover, installed tank heaters on all tanks. I found 120VAC heaters for cheap cheap compared to 12VDC heaters. I have large batteries and inverter so no problem.
4) Heated mattress pad. Small energy and the bed is oh so toasty when you climb in. Again, large batteries and inverter makes this possible. If you want your gf/wife to sleep scantily clad, you need a mattress pad heater!
5) Bubble wrap cut to fit the windows. This allows some external solar to come in, more if you take it off on sunny days. Use the home depot Reflectix and you can reverse it summer and winter.
6) Large Walmart bedspread covering the toy hauler door. Toy hauler doors are huge energy losers. I simply screw the bedspread near the roof and floor. Unscrew the floor and fold up on the bunk to get toys in and out.
7) Twin bedspread on a curtain rod over the main door. Doors lose a lot of heat, the curtain rod allows you to move it for easy access.

Just some ideas from from a full timer living in cold country.
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote