New Topic: The Bedroom 'Escape' Window... - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #21

Oklahoma
Maybe an exterior handle? go out the window on your back, reach up, grab the handle, pull the rest of myself out, hang, then drop? Just an idea. Would have to be a sound structural mount. Maybe collapsible for drag or aesthetics? Just brainstorming. I have thought of the same scenarios. What if.....

vinopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #22

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinopilot View Post
Maybe an exterior handle? go out the window on your back, reach up, grab the handle, pull the rest of myself out, hang, then drop? Just an idea. Would have to be a sound structural mount. Maybe collapsible for drag or aesthetics? Just brainstorming. I have thought of the same scenarios. What if.....
Nice idea, but the problem that I see is that the window opens & pivots UP on the hinge... which means you'd have to reach over its length to reach any handle you mounted. Doable, I guess, but awkward at best.

Call me crazy, but I now keep my cordless sawz-all in my bedroom beside the window. I figure if the rig's on fire to the extent I need to escape from the bedroom, it's gonna be a total loss anyway... so cutting through the exterior wall so I can get out quickly ain't gonna be no big deal. 😉

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #23

Alaska
For sale: 2016 Voltage 3818 with the Epic "Death Trap" Package

HAHAHA

JIM
Old 07-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #24

Virginia
back to the original question

OK, so now the we have covered how/when to throw the wife out the window to soften the landing , back to the initial problem.

Does anyone have a solution to open the escape windows that are stuck to the gasket without breaking the window or ripping the gasket to shreds? All of my escape windows are stuck closed and they have been closed for some time. I'd like to open them without destruction. I was thinking of using a plastic putty knife coated with spray on silicone.

Any other ideas? I'm going to tackle this tonight.
DR Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #25

Wyoming
Try this before doing anything 'drastic'...

Simply release the locking mechanism in the morning, and let it stay that way all day. Allow the gasket to 'relax' and expand during the heat of the day, and then contract as it cools down that evening.

The next morning, try opening the window fully. I'll bet it will open with just a little pressure... and you shouldn't have that issue again, so long as you open it at least once every 2 weeks or so to keep it from fusing again.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #26

British Columbia
Dr.

What Tom said first, if that doesn't work use the silicone spray and let it work in for awhile. If it's still stuck try the plastic knife, put the pressure on the window, not the gasket.

Once you have the gasket freed up, give it a generous coating of silicone about every three months. Your gaskets will love you for it and will last for the life of the camper. It's a good treatment for your TV weather strip as well.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #27

Texas
Yep, silicone makes rubber happy. Keeps it young.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote