New to group - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
K&S

New York
New to group

Hello everyone. I am an owner of a 2014 Forest River Rockeood 8280ws 5th wheel. I am looking into selling it and I/we are interested in a Voltage Toy Hauler. I have looked at many brands and Dutchman always seems to draw me in. My question is does anyone have regrets on choosing Dutchman? Of course financially I cannot get what some would consider the best RV on the market. I am hoping I can get some honest feedback. Hit me with pros n cons and be brutally honest please.

K&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #2

California
I have a 2018 Voltage that I purchased in mid 2017 new. I have generally been very happy but like most RV’s it has had its fist share of issues. Here is my list:

Norcold fridge cools down quickly when empty but has a hard time staying real cold. My past two smaller and cheaper Dometics did not have this issue in older and cheaper trailers. It happens on both gas and electric and I know all the tricks of making sure food is cold going in and not opening the fridge any longer than I have to. I think it might be an issue with the fan but of course the dealer checked it under warranty and said it is all fine. It’s not but oh well.

Fuel gauge didn’t work when I got it had it fixed under warranty and now that it is out of warranty doesn’t work again. Dealer claimed it was a bad connection at the fuel tank but I can’t find it.

Fresh water gauge only works some of the time. It read empty when full then seemed to work again lately but still unreliable. I am used to level gauge issues on gray and especially black tanks but this is a new one.

Lousy glue holding the trim but that is easy to fix.

Biggest issue by far and really major issue is with the suspension, specifically the leaf springs. The factory (Lippert) springs are just not capable of supporting the weight of a two axle toy hauler. The axles are rated at 7,500 pounds but I don’t believe the springs are up to the task. They are cheap Chinese made 6 leaf steel springs and they flatten out in no time. I along with several other owners have had them replaced with American made 7 leafs and some have gone with 8 leafs but the place that installed mine couldn’t get the 8’s to fit. There are several threads on here about this issue. Several members have had nasty failures. You should plan on this “upgrade”. I keep my 1,800 lb RZR in the trailer and I know this doesn’t help but I am within the specs— albeit not by much. Since I replaced the springs I have had no issues but I also keep the stabilizers extended in storage to keep the weight off the leafs.

Aside from the above, I have been really happy. I blame Lippert, who makes the frame more than Dutchmen who just buys it on the spring issue, but by now they should be aware and redesign.

Great layout, it is one of the few if not only models I could find that had a garage that could hold my 12 foot side by side and could be towed by a 2500. The 4 person couch is great and the island is really nice. Bed and bedroom is great and we really like the color scheme.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #3

Arkansas
I can vouch for the spring problem and take it a step further to add that after we replaced our factory springs with 8 leaf springs we had the brace between the frame rails behind the center pivot break and twisted the spring hangers and frame I have since had the moreryde IS independent suspension installed all has been good for a year since . I will also add that this is not a Dutchman problem but ALL trailers of this size and weight with leaf spring suspension as they all use the same frame supplied by LippertClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG951679.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	5243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951681.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	5244
scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Illinois
I had a loaded Voltage 3990 for three years (sold to get a residential 5'er). Pretty much problem free. It was a beautiful full-paint unit that got compliments at every RV park we went. Other than some minor fit and finish issues, the only thing that went bad was the cable for the black tank (all valves replaced under extended warranty). Never experienced any of the suspension problems other had. I think it's kind of a roll of the dice; some people get great units like I did, and others sadly get lemons. I'd recommend Voltage to anyone.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&S View Post
My question is does anyone have regrets on choosing Dutchman?

Well since you asked it that way, YES!

When your real bored you might want to read this old post.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...gain-3499.html

Maybe quality has changed now but I sure regretted it.

Welcome to a great, honest forum.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
K&S

New York
new to group

No doubt, QA is a problem with every RV brand out there and anyone who is in the market is rolling the dice. Thank you for your responses, I'd love to hear more.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
K&S

New York
QC not QA
Old 02-14-2019, 03:39 AM   #8

California
Triple axles don’t seem to have the suspension issues. Newer toy haulers really stretch the limits on the double axles. Not sure what model you are considering and how many axles it has but please do yourself a favor and if it is a two axle upgrade the leafs and shackles, hangers, etc., before they fail on you. Unless you aren’t putting any weight in the thing but it only takes on less than 3,000 more pounds before you hit your gvwr and a side by side with typical cargo in the trailer will get you there real quick.

Again, search the threads and you will see plenty of pictures of broken shackles and flattened out springs. I even had a leaf spring replaced under warranty and within no time it was flattened like the old one.

Again, the Voltage is a great design but some of the junk they bolt on as well as the frame and its components are pretty crappy.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #9

Alaska
So I have a 2017 Dutchmen Voltage 3970 Black Label special addition Epic. We have had a few poor workmanship issues but all fixed under warranty. That being said we maybe selling in the next year. It also has professionally installed solar and many other additional add ons. If you have any questions feel free to email me at captrowdy@yahoo.com
PolarBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #10

California
I have a 2951 2018 model

I like mine my furnace just quit . It will lite a run for a couple seconds the flame off. Haven’t checked it yet it’s raining outside. Other than that it’s a ok unit. I am Lso worried about the Chinese tires and brakes, but so far so good. I don’t know about other dealers but here in San Diego where I bought mine it’s crazy bad. We had a broken couch when we bought it and it probably took 10 months for Dutchman to get a new one. Not sure if it was a dealer or Dutchman problem. Also the shackles on the springs arnt set properly.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:33 AM   #11

Tennessee
Dutchmen Endurance 3556

We looked at the Voltage a couple of years ago but were put off by the salesman and ended up buying an Endurance 3556 instead. It is identical to the more expensive Voltage and we love it. On our shakedown cruise we encountered an inverter that was not working and had to buy a cooler since the refrigerator was not working. We also could not figure out the AC which has one set of controls for both units. The manual was worse than useless. Fortunately a service man in Daytona Beach walked me through it on the phone. We also had a bad window shade in the bedroom and the microwave did not work. But that was it. The inverter was fixed and the microwave and shade were replaced. We have had none of the issues that the Voltage owners have reported and are glad we bought the Endurance instead.
hbdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:48 AM   #12

California
I have 2018 Voltage 3970 Epic and I love it. Will be going full time in it at the end of this year. I have had problems but I dont think there is a manufacturer out there that has a quality control department! Also i have yet to find a dealership that is able to tell the truth!

I am not sure why we all put up with this! This is the definition of a class action suit that is worth millions! What other industry that builds things is allowed to put people's lives in jeopardy and laughs at its customers when they point it out?

We pay alot of money for these rigs and for the most part they work ok! Think about the other large purchases you make, car , house, .... would the manufacture/builder accept the fact the car is unsafe to drive or the house heat doesnt work.

If someone knows a good attorney that likes to make alot of money pointing out the obvious we could sue both the manufacturer and the dealerships!

I think you would like the Voltage!
jusbranton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
K&S

New York
Very disappointing how manufacturers get away with what they do or should I say “Don’t do”?Although I really like the Voltage I am concerned with the bad reviews I have read with Dutchman QC and it’s customer service which has me leaning toward other manufacturers. Don’t get me wrong, the “Other Guys” have their issues as well, this is a crapshoot either way you go. Thank you all for your feedback.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #14
K&S

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBatt View Post
So I have a 2017 Dutchmen Voltage 3970 Black Label special addition Epic. We have had a few poor workmanship issues but all fixed under warranty. That being said we maybe selling in the next year. It also has professionally installed solar and many other additional add ons. If you have any questions feel free to email me at captrowdy@yahoo.com

Thank you.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #15

California
Quality of Voltage

I have a 2018 and I don’t think you can beat the value. I went to Forest River and the other factory here in southern calif. I bought the Voltage for at least $10,000 less. I was going to buy the forest river because the factory is about 70 miles from my house. I am happy with the unit. If I was going to buy one today I would know what to look for and have it corrected or price reduce before taking delivery.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&S View Post
Very disappointing how manufacturers get away with what they do or should I say “Don’t do”?Although I really like the Voltage I am concerned with the bad reviews I have read with Dutchman QC and it’s customer service which has me leaning toward other manufacturers. Don’t get me wrong, the “Other Guys” have their issues as well, this is a crapshoot either way you go. Thank you all for your feedback.
It is a crapshoot, however you can tip the odds in your favor by doing due diligence. Choose a good dealer or locate a good independent repair shop. When you decide which specific unit you want, spend time going over it with a fine tooth comb BEFORE signing on the dotted line, get the stuff on it fixed BEFORE signing on the dotted line. If the unit has any major issues, walk away. After everything has been "repaired" double check the list.

FWIW when we bought our current motor home they had two on the lot, my bride liked the color of one of them, however it was assembled very poorly. We bought the other one. Amazing how two units made 3 weeks apart on the same assembly line could very so much.

Also keep in mind that most of the stuff that goes into RV's comes from a supplier not the RV assembler, so when things like furnaces, AC, stereo's, jack systems, etc start going bad it may not necessarily be the assembler's fault, however they did choose them so they should warrant them for at least the first year.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #17

California
What he said

Wahoonc said it very well.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #18

California
I like mine and I have had no problems just small stuff.
Aaron was right on.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #19

Indiana
2015 Voltage 3970

We love our Voltage 3970. We bought it used and have had NO major issues. Anytime you purchase an RV it is just important to keep up on the maintenance and inspection, NOT JUST WHEN YOU PURCHASE IT. They take a lot of tender loving care and since we are full time, it is even harder on the unit.

We have owned two different units from two different manufacturers. Both had minor QC issues but nothing big and noteworthy.

It is also good to "Get to Know" your unit intimately. Learn to fix and repair the right way. Besides the cost saving of labor, most RV facilities have such a back log on repairs, you will lose a season if someone else has to repair.

My wife and I just love the RV life and the adventure of it all!
Rhoadzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #20
K&S

New York
I would like to thank everyone who replied to this thread. After lots of research we have recently purchased the Grand Design 351m Momentum. The dealer is adding slider toppers now and we aren’t in any rush to take it home in this lovely upstate NY weather. Looks like I will take delivery sometime in April.

Thanks again, be safe and happy camping.