New To Dutchmen.......Maybe - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 02:24 AM   #1

California
New To Dutchmen.......Maybe

Sold our 5th wheel mistake of a toy hauler last week. Am in the market for something much smaller and lighter than the 40 footer I've been hauling around for the last year. Our local dealer sells Dutchmen products (Voltage and Rubicon). We really like the 2015 Rubicon 2500. Right size, good price, just the right amount of whistles and bells to keep wifey happy. We are looking for feedback prior to pulling the trigger. Any feedback appreciated. We would like to do it better than the last time. Thanks in advance, Robert

machyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #2

Wyoming
Maybe it would help us in helping you, if you told us why your last rig was a 'mistake'.

What didn't you like about it that prompted you to sell it... and what are you hoping to gain with a new one?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #3

Illinois
^^^^^what he said. Welcome to the forum. Are you looking to spend weekends during the summer of ft like the snow birds?

Steve
2014 Aerolite 315BHSS
2012 Ram 1500 CC Hemi
sreuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #4

California
Not to sound like a "wimp", but here goes; 40 foot is too long (and too tall for that matter) for me. I never felt comfortable driving, backing-up, parking, attempting to park, pulling into a parking lot, etc. We had moved from a 26' bumper pull. We wanted a toy hauler and went WAY TOO big. We like the 250 Rubicon's size. What we are really interested in is the quality of the build, the experience that all of you forum members have had needing warranty work, etc. What can you all tell me? Sorry for not being clear in my opening post.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #5

Illinois
Unfortunately all of us have probably had some sort of warranty issues. The build quality just is not top priority for this industry. Dutchman is no worse or better than any other imho. The key is in having a dependable dealer that will support the product after the sale.
As you will see some have had horrible experiences and some like me have had issues properly addressed by the dealer service dept.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Go over the unit with a fine tooth comb BEFORE signing on the dotted line. Make sure you are happy with what you are pulling off the lot. Don't let them tell you it is the "last one", "someone else is looking at it", "they go fast," etc, etc.

I have yet to see any RV put together perfectly, some are done better than others. Some you just need to walk away from. I am of the opinion the more bells and whistles the more stuff to have issue with or stuff to be installed improperly.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #7

Wyoming
Nothing 'wimpy' about admitting you weren't comfortable with something. 'Cause if you ain't comfortable, you ain't gonna be happy. That's why they make different models.

I can't address the Rubicon personally... but as others have said, you can expect issues of some type at some time, regardless of brand or model. About the only people I know who haven't had issues with their rigs are the rich guys buying a Provost or something similar. But then again, if you put $800,000 into a rolling chassis even before you begin to furnish the interior, you have a right to not expect problems.

As wahoonc said, when you decide what you want... go over EVERYTHING during the delivery. Make them demo every single little thing on the rig to ensure that it not only works, but that there are no ancillary issues with it. As in... they may demo the sink & shower faucets work on when connected to a water source, but also make them demo that the water pump will also work from the fresh water tank... and then check that there are no leaks anywhere.

And as sreuss says... if you can, purchase from a dealer you can trust AND one that you will be near, so they can support you on any issues that do arise. While you may be tempted to buy from a high volume discount dealer 1000 miles away... remember, it's a 'fire & forget' deal from that guy, as he knows he'll never see you or the rig again once it rolls off of his lot. A local dealer is more apt to support you and get your rig back on the road when something comes up, instead of pushing you to the back of his service line after he gets done servicing others.

Keep us up to date on whatever you decide...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 11-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #8

Ontario
They are all mass produced aka poorly built. The manufacturer doesn't care because the dealer will be the one picking up some/most of the mistakes prior to delivery. As everyone mentioned, do a thorough PDI before you sign on the dotted line. If something is wrong, you leave it there. 100% before you sign and take it off their lot

Finding a GOOD dealer is key. If you don't have a good dealer...your nightmare will begin.

My dealer told me right before my warranty is up..they want me to bring my TT back in so they want to go over it with a fine tooth comb and get everything done under warranty. I LIKE that! I have had some warranty work done NO issues. They actually repaired some recalls to my TT that I wasn't even aware of while it was in the shop.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #9

North Carolina
While I agree that they are mass produced and in general poorly built, I'll have to disagree that they are basically the same in quality.

Even though I had a few problems with my Voltage (I literally mean few), my previous toy hauler was a NIGHTMARE.

In the first 4 months, I found 28 items that severely needed to be repaired including having a furnace that stopped working when I was out riding and returned at 4am to a trailer that was 19 degrees. That night SUCKED.

The company wanted me to send it back to their manufacturing plant in Indiana and they wanted to go through it with a fine tooth comb. (though Kudos to them for the offer, I was too far gone in any reassurance that I would be happy with it)

The manufacturer ended up giving me check instead and I used that money towards my Voltage.

The Voltage has only been in a few times (microwave replacement which wasn't Dutchmen's fault, recall on microwaves), a few loose pieces of trim, the now the slide.

I've been very happy with it but I would suggest to the OP to take the advice of those saying to have EVERYTHING checked BEFORE exiting the parking lot.

And ATCguy is very correct. I probably paid a bit more than I should have since I bought it locally (2 hours away) as opposed to saving some money and buying it from a volume dealer that there is no way in hell I'd drive back 12-14 hours to take it back to.

Though you can say that you may save money by going to a high volume dealer, I assure you that your frustration, headaches and blood pressure is worth more than the 10K you may save.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

California
Thanks all. We did purchase and are picking up next week. We will go through it very thoroughly before handing over the check. Even though the dealer is only 20 minutes away, I dread the thought of continually having to take it to them for service. I'll post results post PDI. Thanks again, Robert
Old 11-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #11

North Carolina
Robert,

What did you end up with? The Rubicon?

Pics?

Mark
Old 11-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #12

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by machyoung View Post
Thanks all. We did purchase and are picking up next week. We will go through it very thoroughly before handing over the check. Even though the dealer is only 20 minutes away, I dread the thought of continually having to take it to them for service. I'll post results post PDI. Thanks again, Robert
Don't leave us hanging.... What did you get?

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #13

Texas
We bought a 2013 Rubicon 2900 the quality control was nonexistent. Some of the things you just will not find on a list somewhere to check off. Almost 30ft of 10 gage wire rolled up under the floor above the bottom cover of the trailer bouncing down the road 500 miles later ripped the under covering. We were newb's and didn't notice the 10,000lb rated Equalizer hitch which was setup by the dealer we picked the trailer up from was attached to a 12,000lb trailer. Inside seals missing on the slide. Wiring on speakers some backwards some not wiring in at all. The Propane tank bracket screwed on to the trailer tongue, 3 of the 4 screws had been the heads power twisted off and the 4th screw was loose. The tanks almost came off while driving down the road. Way Way to many screws that were power torqued on hot water heater cover, screws under the trailer holding the bottom cover on to where when you tried to remove them for normal maintenance the screw heads brake off. We purchase the trailer from on online dealer on the West coast to get a better deal and picked the trailer up from a sister company in the mid west so we had no connection with knowing the person taking us on the walk through had much investment in making sure the trailer was ready to go. 1800 miles later we decided to have the brakes checked and also check the axle bearings. Was told the someone had greased the bearings and had forced out the inside bearing seals and it was cheaper labor/parts wise to replace all bearings, all brake assembles rather then remove clean and install with new brake pads. The last and biggest mistake we made as newbee's starting out as full timers was we had set the stage rolling so that once we received the trailer we moved in. So taking our new home in for warranty work that should have not missed QA that even a monkey could have checked was not really an option for us.
We make the big mistake of thinking that buying a new RV Trailer was just like buying a new truck. You expect certain things like... The doors are not going to fall off, the lights work and when you put it in drive it goes forward. When we first started looking at Dutchman most of what I found on the web indicated they were in the top 10 for that price range, I no longer believe that to be true. So...
/rant off
I've said my piece, got it off my chest and maybe I feel better. Don't take nothing for granted and as soon as you get the feeling someone is trying to hurry out off the lot with the signed paper work and grab your check telling your going to go home and thing about it some.
By the way, other then all that crap we love the floor plan on the Rubicon 2900, we are very happy we decided to go full time and not wait until I was able to retire. We love traveling and have met lots of really cool people while doing it.
Best to you in your new rig..

Larry
seventhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:27 AM   #14

California
We did in fact purchase the 2015 Rubicon 2500. I am scheduled on Friday to complete my walk-through and pre-delivery inspection. This is our 3rd trailer (2nd new), and I will be crawling in, on, under, and around. I will make sure that the generator runs, all electronics work, plumbing is tight, heater, AC, etc. all operate properly. I am a General Contractor and inspect homes for a living. I will typically do minor repairs, touch-ups, moldings, trims, etc. myself. There are no slides so there will be slide issues.

I won't bring it back to the dealer for warranty work unless absolutely necessary.

I won't give them my check and take delivery unless absolutely functional.

I will post after Friday. Again, wish me luck. Ha!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #15

California
So far, so good. Completed walk-through today. Received everything that the salesman promised; full propane tanks, full fuel station, 2 batteries (although that was a surprise to the walk through representative). All systems, appliances, fixtures, etc. worked as they should. Refused extended warranty, exterior/interior protective coatings, etc. 30 minutes home and loading her up. Will be traveling/camping for 10 days through Christmas and New Years. Will post report afterwards. Pic's coming as well. Wish me luck! Robert
Old 11-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #16

Wyoming
Sounds good... I probably would have took the extended warranty. I've already used mine twice now. Glad I bought it.

Enjoy!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 11-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Sounds good... I probably would have took the extended warranty. I've already used mine twice now. Glad I bought it.

Enjoy!
X2… For as crappy as these trailers are, I seriously suggest the extended warranty.

Mark
Old 11-29-2014, 02:15 AM   #18

California
Thanks guys,
Won't buy the extended warranty as I can/will fix almost anything myself. I would probably take it in in for heat, AC, fridge, water heater, etc. This unit has no slides, no major whistles or bells, etc. Can't stand the fact that if I did buy the extended warranty, they will more than likely keep MY TRAILER for 6 weeks and not fix it properly! I will post anything and everything.
Robert
Old 11-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by machyoung View Post
Thanks guys,
Won't buy the extended warranty as I can/will fix almost anything myself. I would probably take it in in for heat, AC, fridge, water heater, etc. This unit has no slides, no major whistles or bells, etc. Can't stand the fact that if I did buy the extended warranty, they will more than likely keep MY TRAILER for 6 weeks and not fix it properly! I will post anything and everything.
Robert

I understand, hope it works out for you…

Mark
Old 12-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #20

Illinois
Congratulations and enjoy your new trailer.