New Owner - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
MisterScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 69
Colorado
New Owner

Hey all, I thought I would introduce myself. I recently purchased a 2012 3950 that, as I indicated on another thread. My wife and three boys are looking forward to using it. All are in involved in Scouting as we are as parents too. I would appreciate any thoughts as to the 3950 and the vintage. It appears to have been used once or twice. I am scheduled to do a detailed mechanical walk through this weekend. The dealer is doing a comprehensive system check.

I guess my question as a new owner and first time RV'er any advice. I am versed in towing. I have a F350 SRW 8ft bed that I am going to swap for a dually. Any initial thoughts are welcome as are anything to watch our for with this particular unit. Are there any good sources for online parts as such?
__________________

MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jonthefireman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Austin Metro
Posts: 69
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
Hey all, I thought I would introduce myself. I recently purchased a 2012 3950 that, as I indicated on another thread. My wife and three boys are looking forward to using it. All are in involved in Scouting as we are as parents too. I would appreciate any thoughts as to the 3950 and the vintage. It appears to have been used once or twice. I am scheduled to do a detailed mechanical walk through this weekend. The dealer is doing a comprehensive system check.

I guess my question as a new owner and first time RV'er any advice. I am versed in towing. I have a F350 SRW 8ft bed that I am going to swap for a dually. Any initial thoughts are welcome as are anything to watch our for with this particular unit. Are there any good sources for online parts as such?
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the RV community!

I, like you, am relatively new to the hobby too. We picked our V3605 up a few months back and have been out several times. I can contribute well over 50% of what I've learned to this forum, it is truly a wealth of information!

In regards to parts, there are a million ways to spend your money and many different opinions. I took a look around here for advice from water hoses to stinky hoses, and everything in between. At the end of the day, I bought 90% of my equipment online, most through eBay. I wasn't pressed for time and found the cost around 10% less than WalMart. Some Wally Worlds have a good supply of RV sundries, others don't. Camping World is pricey, but has some cool stuff you won't likely find anywhere else local.

I've learned a TON in the last few months, and what works for some may not work for you. Good luck, and if you have any specific questions just ask, someone will be glad to help you out! BTW....an excellent first trip out for you in the DFW area is Jellystone RV Park down in Burleson. Great stuff for the kids, moderately priced.
__________________

__________________
Fireman Jon and Laura
2014 Voltage V 3605
2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L Hemi
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canon City
Posts: 861
Colorado
What comes to mind first is to make sure the trailer has a "Trail Air" hitch.

Then make sure you have a heavy duty enough 5th wheel hitch on the truck. I really suggest the Reese 30K.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
jonthefireman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Austin Metro
Posts: 69
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
What comes to mind first is to make sure the trailer has a "Trail Air" hitch.

Then make sure you have a heavy duty enough 5th wheel hitch on the truck. I really suggest the Reese 30K.

Pirate
I second the Trailair hitch. The V3605 is a dual axle Voltage and came with a standard pin box. After the first trip, I replaced it with a Trailair. HUGE difference in towing, especially for me with a SRW 3/4 ton truck.
__________________
Fireman Jon and Laura
2014 Voltage V 3605
2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L Hemi
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
DesertRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Desert Hot Springs
Posts: 1,760
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthefireman View Post
I second the Trailair hitch. The V3605 is a dual axle Voltage and came with a standard pin box. After the first trip, I replaced it with a Trailair. HUGE difference in towing, especially for me with a SRW 3/4 ton truck.
John is your truck a 4x4? My 1 ton is & I had to raise the hitch pin on the Voltage all the way up to help level it out. Still a little high in the front. Didn't the Trailair raise the front of your V3605.
__________________
Mike
2002 42' Monaco Signature Triple Crown tow 2014 F-150
2014 Voltage V3605 Sold 5/3/17
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
jonthefireman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Austin Metro
Posts: 69
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
John is your truck a 4x4? My 1 ton is & I had to raise the hitch pin on the Voltage all the way up to help level it out. Still a little high in the front. Didn't the Trailair raise the front of your V3605.
Yes, my '14 Ram is a 4X4 and actually has the upgraded 20" wheels. When I traded out the Lippert pin box for the Trailair, I installed it as high as it would go on the trailer. I have a B&W Companion slider, and I have it set as low as it will go. Ironically, when hooked up I'm shockingly pretty level! I am running a set up Timbren's to give my truck a little extra payload capacity, and I've been meaning to take the spacer out of those which I think would almost put the trailer dead on when hooked.
__________________
Fireman Jon and Laura
2014 Voltage V 3605
2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L Hemi
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: marshall
Posts: 2
Illinois
I have a 2012 voltage 3950 and pull it with a f350 crew cab dually . The truck has a edge program up graded to the to shift on the fly . If I am thinking correct the 3950 has a weight around 14500 empty, from what have figured that is the max for my truck . I have went to a event and had a ultra and a street glide loaded in the back and the truck felt it . The thing I am thinking of doing is adding air bag to my truck to level out my truck.
ultra07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Hazerdous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Westminster
Posts: 70
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra07 View Post
I have a 2012 voltage 3950 and pull it with a f350 crew cab dually . The truck has a edge program up graded to the to shift on the fly . If I am thinking correct the 3950 has a weight around 14500 empty, from what have figured that is the max for my truck . I have went to a event and had a ultra and a street glide loaded in the back and the truck felt it . The thing I am thinking of doing is adding air bag to my truck to level out my truck.
Depeding on the year of your F-350 Dually and engine you should be well within your tow rating. There are two different ratings, conventional towing and 5th wheel towing. You also have to look at the GCWR for your truck. That is the weight of the truck (loaded with passengers and all) and the total weight of your trailer (loaded as well) looking on Fords website, a 2013 Ford F-350 dually with the 6.7 Diesel with 3.73 axel ratio the GCWR is 30,500.
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
MisterScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 69
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
What comes to mind first is to make sure the trailer has a "Trail Air" hitch.

Then make sure you have a heavy duty enough 5th wheel hitch on the truck. I really suggest the Reese 30K.

Pirate
I have purchased the Reese 25K drop in for Ford SD's with the Fifth Wheel Prep Package. I think that should do fine, no? Max they make for that application with the prep package.
MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
MisterScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 69
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra07 View Post
I have a 2012 voltage 3950 and pull it with a f350 crew cab dually . The truck has a edge program up graded to the to shift on the fly . If I am thinking correct the 3950 has a weight around 14500 empty, from what have figured that is the max for my truck . I have went to a event and had a ultra and a street glide loaded in the back and the truck felt it . The thing I am thinking of doing is adding air bag to my truck to level out my truck.
Max fight wheel trailer weight for an F350 DRW 4X4 is 23,500k pounds for the 2015. SRW is 15,900. I should be well within the max even fully loaded which it will not be. I believe the 3950 GVWR is right about 20k.
__________________

MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.