New Owner - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #21

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Scott,

A heads up on what to discuss with your insurance agent on an F450...

The Texas Personal Auto Policy as well as the ISO form used in most other states limits the GVWR of a covered auto. Originally 10,000 lbs but many companies have increased it to 14,000 lbs to cover most 1 ton trucks. On the F450 or Chev/Ram 4500 series most companies only offer a Business Auto Policy.

So here is the rub...

On a Personal policy the liability flows to the trailer from the pulling unit. On a Business policy the liability only flows to utility trailers less than 2,000 GVW, to have liability for auto accidents a larger trailer must be specified (listed) on the policy.

Many companies will list recreational trailers as a 2nd unit on a Business Auto Policy, and if that's the case you're OK.

However, some companies will insure the pulling unit on a Business Auto Policy and offer a separate stand alone policy for the trailer. These stand alone trailer policies include premise liability like on a homeowners policy that would not cover an auto accident. So if you back into something, the stand alone policy would cover the damage to your trailer, but not the property damage to the third party, and the liability on the pulling unit under a Business Auto Policy would not flow to cover the other parties damage.
I have to admit to being a bit confused by this. I am not trying to be sarcastic but for someone not well versed in the intricacies of business versus auto policies could explain this from a practical standpoint perhaps with examples. I am confused how liability might flow and property damage as well. I do carry a $2 million personal excess liability policy.

MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:14 AM   #22

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
I have to admit to being a bit confused by this.
I'm sorry my post wasn't meant to confuse, but simply to make you aware of an issue that you need to discuss with your insurance agent if insuring a large truck. The fact you have an umbrella policy tells me your agent is well versed in the intricacies of insurance and would welcome the opportunity to review your coverage.

I checked with one of my State Farm friends and without consulting his underwriting guide he seemed to recall that they could insure an F450 that was not a chassis cab on a Personal Auto Policy, which would make my post a moot point.

Not to add more fuel to the fire but another item to address with your agent...

Be sure to add contents coverage on your trailer.

In the Texas Personal Auto Policy (the ISO form used in most other states has a similar provision) PART D - COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR AUTO Exclusions We will not pay for: 8. When in or upon any trailer, loss to: a. TV antennas; b. awnings or cabanas;

What most companies (including State Farm) will do is offer you optional coverage for contents in the trailer (an endorsement for an additional premium) that will cover the awning.

I would estimate the three awnings on my Voltage to be at least $7K to replace.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #23

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
I'm sorry my post wasn't meant to confuse, but simply to make you aware of an issue that you need to discuss with your insurance agent if insuring a large truck. The fact you have an umbrella policy tells me your agent is well versed in the intricacies of insurance and would welcome the opportunity to review your coverage.

I checked with one of my State Farm friends and without consulting his underwriting guide he seemed to recall that they could insure an F450 that was not a chassis cab on a Personal Auto Policy, which would make my post a moot point.

Not to add more fuel to the fire but another item to address with your agent...

Be sure to add contents coverage on your trailer.

In the Texas Personal Auto Policy (the ISO form used in most other states has a similar provision) PART D - COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR AUTO Exclusions We will not pay for: 8. When in or upon any trailer, loss to: a. TV antennas; b. awnings or cabanas;

What most companies (including State Farm) will do is offer you optional coverage for contents in the trailer (an endorsement for an additional premium) that will cover the awning.

I would estimate the three awnings on my Voltage to be at least $7K to replace.

HornedToad, I'm glad my State Farm agent at the time was very knowledgable and open on this subject. I was living in New Mexico at the time and wanting to purchase a F450 Cab and Chassis to install after market flat bed. The cheapest policy he could get underwritten was 3 times what i was paying for my 1ton. I was very thankful i found this out before i dropped the money on the truck. I have known people that bought first, and couldn't afford the insurance and took a beating on the resale. I then started looking at SportChassis's and was surprised to find i could get one insured for less than i was paying for my 1ton as long as it was registered as an RV. I just couldn't justify $100+K on a truck. While my experience is somewhat dated, i know from reading other sites that this is still a concern depending on the state and insurance company. Knowledge is power!!!
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #24

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
What load rating are the tires on your rig?

I haven't seen anything less than an "E" rated tire on a unit that heavy.

I would be going to at least a "G" rated tire.

Your GVWR is 6500# heavier than mine, when I replaced my tires last year, I went to G rating and I have already doubled the miles over the E's.
Not to hijack, but yes the current tires are Load "E", when I replace them they will be a min. of Load "F" most likely "G"
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:05 AM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
Not to hijack, but yes the current tires are Load "E", when I replace them they will be a min. of Load "F" most likely "G"
I recommend going to the G rated tire. I went from an E to a G last year and like what I'm seeing. The Gs aren't as squirely when making tight turns.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #26

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I recommend going to the G rated tire. I went from an E to a G last year and like what I'm seeing. The Gs aren't as squirely when making tight turns.
I went with an "H". It's an 18ply sidewall.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #27

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post
I went with an "H". It's an 18ply sidewall.
"H" is 16 ply same as what I have on mine.

Tire code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #28

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
"H" is 16 ply same as what I have on mine.

Tire code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL. dohh.... I did meant 18 ply though. Conti's HTL2 Eco Plus is what I went with.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #29

Colorado
My agent priced a policy for me an it is the cheapest vehicle that I will own to insure.
MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #30

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
My agent priced a policy for me an it is the cheapest vehicle that I will own to insure.
Mr. Scott,

I'm glad you got your insurance lined out, that F450 is going to make a huge difference hauling that big ole trailer!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote