Negotiating the best price - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 04:56 AM   #1

Colorado
Unhappy Negotiating the best price

We are in the market for a v3605. Our 2013 bunkhouse is no longer suiting our needs. Now comes the fun part of selling our existing unit and getting a good deal on a new unit. The dealer offered 23.5 for ours(we owe 28) but won't budge lower than 65 on the v3605. My gut is telling me to push for mid 50's but I have no solid evidence that this is a rational price. I need some help in knowing what is a "good" deal....
Tom in Denver

soccerinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:40 AM   #2

Nevada
I paid 66 and change for a v3805 in November, and that included a new B&W hitch for my Ram with the 5th wheel mounting pucks in the bed, full of propane, and both fuel tanks filled up. The only options mine doesn't have are the residential faucets and the Voltage fancy chairs. It came with Voltage deck chairs. Watch a couple of them wheeler dealer shows before you go to dealer next. It might help to mention you're looking at a Cyclone or some other competitors brand also.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Call Wheels RV in Arkansas. They give me payoff on my trade in and a good price on my
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

Missouri
I have been able to use a approximant value of 65% of MSRP for the value of the new trailer. The trade in is where you are going to get screwed.
Have you thought about trying to sell you trade yourself. This is the best way to get the deal your looking for.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

Texas
Before you trade try For Sale by Owner... I've always been able to sell mine myself before I upgraded so I didn't take the hit on a trade.

The two things that have worked the best for me, park it on a busy highway with a huge For Sale sign and post on Craigslist. I always put a price on the sign to weed out the lookie lous and just ignore the Craigslist scammers.

I've never had to try any of those RV mags. Sold one in a day, one in a week and two took a month.

Good luck selling your trailer, it's the right time of year!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #6

Colorado
I am attempting to sell via Craigslist. No bites yet and I have it listed for 25.5. I'm sure I can sell it on my own. Just need more time.
My biggest concern is getting the best price for the v3605. My gut is telling me that 65k is way too high.
soccerinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #7

Nevada
Got mine from General rv draper utah. Right at the 65 per cent of Msrp I would talk to bobby c. We constructed our deal on the phone and it all happened as negotiated.
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #8

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerinco View Post
We are in the market for a v3605. Our 2013 bunkhouse is no longer suiting our needs. Now comes the fun part of selling our existing unit and getting a good deal on a new unit. The dealer offered 23.5 for ours(we owe 28) but won't budge lower than 65 on the v3605. My gut is telling me to push for mid 50's but I have no solid evidence that this is a rational price. I need some help in knowing what is a "good" deal....
Tom in Denver
I just picked up a 2015 3605 for 59,900 with every option available and that was with no trade . I did much better selling my old unit myself .
AMM 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMM 19 View Post
I just picked up a 2015 3605 for 59,900 with every option available and that was with no trade . I did much better selling my old unit myself .
We got the best price from Holman last spring on a loaded 2014 V3605 (59,900) and then went our local dealer with their offer. They matched within $1000, so we saved a long trip to OH and got it local for $60900. Our's was loaded too, plus they installed and gave me a great price on the B&W slider hitch system.
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #10

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthefireman View Post
We got the best price from Holman last spring on a loaded 2014 V3605 (59,900) and then went our local dealer with their offer. They matched within $1000, so we saved a long trip to OH and got it local for $60900. Our's was loaded too, plus they installed and gave me a great price on the B&W slider hitch system.
How do you like it so far , just got mine about 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to use it yet . Have you had any issues with yours I have read some horror stories on here and it has me a little nervous .
AMM 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMM 19 View Post
How do you like it so far , just got mine about 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to use it yet . Have you had any issues with yours I have read some horror stories on here and it has me a little nervous .
Overall, I'm very happy with it. Unlike some folks, I went into this fully aware that an RV is essentially a mechanical, house on wheels. It get's pulled thousands of miles over highways and rough roads, things are going to shift, break, loosen, get out of adjustment, etc. etc. If you go into it with that in mind, I think most will be generally happy with it. I also am the kind of person that will fix something, upgrade something, rather than hauling it back to the dealer everytime a shelf clip gets out of whack. I know it's under warranty, and I know I can have everything fixed by the dealer, but I'm just not willing to leave it sitting on a lot for half the year waiting for minor repairs. To each his own. Now if the fridge, or something major goes out, then obviously I'm going to warranty that. In reference to the slides, knock on wood I've had zero problems. However, I have never operated them unless I've been completely level and on generator or AC power. I also took to heart the lubricating instruction I received during the PDI, and I do that religiously. All in all, it's a large investment but I certainly love it when were out.
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #12

Illinois
We ordered a 3990 with full paint, and every option (waiting for delivery) from Jessica at RV Express (jessica@thervexpress.com). She beat everyone's price. General RV listed it at $149,000 and down from that but wouldn't come within 10 grand of her price. two thirds to three quarters of MSrp Is always a good negotiation starting point.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:33 AM   #13

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthefireman View Post
We did the same, we were headed to Holman's RV and found a dealer in MD. that would order ours and they beat Holman's price by 800 with full Paint. Don't you know, it came in 5 months later in the wrong color and they took another 4K off. Came out to 75k and change.

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:31 AM   #14

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
We ordered a 3990 with full paint, and every option (waiting for delivery) from Jessica at RV Express (jessica@thervexpress.com). She beat everyone's price. General RV listed it at $149,000 and down from that but wouldn't come within 10 grand of her price. two thirds to three quarters of MSrp Is always a good negotiation starting point.
Rusty
Jessica was good to me as well.

Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote