Need some leveling help! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Texas
Need some leveling help!

Hey guys, need a little help. so I'm parked out at the X Games and it's pretty much a pasture, pretty soft ground. the spot isn't to terrible unlevel, but I couldn't level the trailer to save my life. not sure if it's just because the grounds too soft or what, but the best I can do is 2 degrees leaving to the right. I don't understand why the leveling system won't just let you raise or lower on side? if I could just lower one and raise the other a little, I'd be golden. it will only let me lower or extend the rear, which will of course work both 4 rear stabilizers together. any ideas or tricks??? or should I just prepare to lean for 3 days?!?

2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

Arizona
Did you put wood blocks under the jacks? On soft ground, the ground will settle under the jacks and make the rig tippy, or unlevel. Having a larger foot print (wood) under the jacks, really helps firm up.

I'm still learning my system, I think all I can do is lower by side (left, right, front, rear), but I haven't figured out how to raise just one side.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #3

California
In manual model you can lift either side or front to back. Left for whole left side and right for whole right side same for front and rear if you need to go down push the retract button and the orange light will come on and now you can lower the sides or front and back manually.
Loaded 3990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

Louisiana
Once you manually level is there any way to drop the middle jacks, or iss that only a function of Auto Level?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

Oklahoma
I have the electric jacks, and I have never been able to drop the middle jacks manually. The only way I have been able to get them to extend is with the auto-level.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

California
Their is no way to only operate the center jacks they are consider rear jacks
Loaded 3990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #7

Colorado
Had the same problem on my 3950. It kept over correcting (the wrong way). I have discovered once you initiate the auto level and it goes to the point where it can't level itself, the only manipulation I could do as stated above is front to rear. My fix for that was to manually retract the rear jacks which would be all 4. Then instead of trying an auto level again I went to manual mode and lowered the rear jacks until they all hit, then I was able to adjust both side to side and front to back. Leveled out out really quick.

I read somewhere that these auto level systems need to be calibrated and that was something that I didn't check out on my PDI. Will be calling the service department on this issue. The spot I was at was not extremely unlevel so I would think that this system should have been able to do its thing.
The manual level is quick and easy, so I am not too worried if the auto level ever works, it would be nice though
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post
Had the same problem on my 3950. It kept over correcting (the wrong way). I have discovered once you initiate the auto level and it goes to the point where it can't level itself, the only manipulation I could do as stated above is front to rear. My fix for that was to manually retract the rear jacks which would be all 4. Then instead of trying an auto level again I went to manual mode and lowered the rear jacks until they all hit, then I was able to adjust both side to side and front to back. Leveled out out really quick.

I read somewhere that these auto level systems need to be calibrated and that was something that I didn't check out on my PDI. Will be calling the service department on this issue. The spot I was at was not extremely unlevel so I would think that this system should have been able to do its thing.
The manual level is quick and easy, so I am not too worried if the auto level ever works, it would be nice though
The calibration procedure is actually pretty easy. But first swap the yellow connectors on the solenoids in the front compartment above the battery on the left side as you are looking in to correct the side to side issue - this fixed mine. Then place two levels in the belly, one front to rear, one side to side. Manually level the rig using the levels. Then:

ZERO SETTING THE CONTROL
1. Turn “ON/OFF” button “OFF”
2. Push “FRONT” button 10 times,
3. Push “REAR” button 10 times
4. Control will flash and beep, LCD says “ZERO POINT CALIBRATE”
5. To memorize this level condition , press “ENTER”
6. LCD says “ZERO POINT STABILITY SUCCESSFULLY SET”
7. The control will then turn off.
8. Turn “ON/OFF” on to commence operation.

Works perfectly on my rig now.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
The calibration procedure is actually pretty easy. But first swap the yellow connectors on the solenoids in the front compartment above the battery on the left side as you are looking in to correct the side to side issue - this fixed mine. Then place two levels in the belly, one front to rear, one side to side. Manually level the rig using the levels. Then:

ZERO SETTING THE CONTROL
1. Turn “ON/OFF” button “OFF”
2. Push “FRONT” button 10 times,
3. Push “REAR” button 10 times
4. Control will flash and beep, LCD says “ZERO POINT CALIBRATE”
5. To memorize this level condition , press “ENTER”
6. LCD says “ZERO POINT STABILITY SUCCESSFULLY SET”
7. The control will then turn off.
8. Turn “ON/OFF” on to commence operation.

Works perfectly on my rig now.
good stuff donzinger... thanks man!
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:25 AM   #10

Colorado
Thanks Don, I will try that when I get to my rig again.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #11

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
The calibration procedure is actually pretty easy.
Thanks DonZinger, I have been meaning to do this for many months. Thanks to your post and the easy instructions I got it done yesterday evening.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Not to hijack the thread but, Steve, what's the latest on your dead refrigerator?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #13

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Not to hijack the thread but, Steve, what's the latest on your dead refrigerator?
I have an appointment with CW in Akron, OH to replace my Norcold 1210 refrigerator and my Living Room TV on July 14th. That means we are living out of many ice chests for over 6 weeks from Michigan to New York to New Jersey and finally to Ohio. It's sure not like getting your vehicle repaired. The RV industry is a mess. Oh well, we still enjoy having our own space on the road.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #14

Colorado
Hey donzinger, would you be able to take a picture of the solenoids and the wires to swap? For reference sake. Just want to make sure I am swaping the correct wires. Would be greatly appreciated. Also when you say put a levels in the "belly" are you talking the cargo compartment?

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 07-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #15

Mississippi
Hazerdous, did the zero point calibrate and it is still hit and miss when I do the autolevel, I give it one shot to autolevel, if it over compensates I retract the rear, then level the front-back lower the rear/sides till they touch and then lower the side till it reads zero, now when I get home for some reason I hit the auto level and it worked perfectly! What gives on these things?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 AM   #16

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Hazerdous, did the zero point calibrate and it is still hit and miss when I do the autolevel, I give it one shot to autolevel, if it over compensates I retract the rear, then level the front-back lower the rear/sides till they touch and then lower the side till it reads zero, now when I get home for some reason I hit the auto level and it worked perfectly! What gives on these things?
I can't get mine to work not matter what. I tried the Zero Cal and no luck. So I am doing the same thing you're doing just level it manually. Sounds like we may have some wires that need to be switched, just trying to find out which wires and where they are located so I am not randomly switching wires.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 AM   #17

Texas
Quote:
I can't get mine to work not matter what. I tried the Zero Cal and no luck. So I am doing the same thing you're doing just level it manually. Sounds like we may have some wires that need to be switched, just trying to find out which wires and where they are located so I am not randomly switching wires.
I found this photo on the link that helped me out. Literally, open the generator door compartment, look on the left hand wall directly above the battery and you should see these two plugs. Simply unplug them and switch them. After months of having to manually level, mine auto leveled immediately and has since. Hope it's this simple for you too.
Attached Images

2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 AM   #18

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthefireman View Post
I found this photo on the link that helped me out. Literally, open the generator door compartment, look on the left hand wall directly above the battery and you should see these two plugs. Simply unplug them and switch them. After months of having to manually level, mine auto leveled immediately and has since. Hope it's this simple for you too.
Thanks Jon, that should help out a bunch. Just to be clear, just switch the yellow wires on those solonoids correct?

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 07-21-2014, 02:13 AM   #19

Virginia
Quote:
Thanks Jon, that should help out a bunch. Just to be clear, just switch the yellow wires on those solonoids correct?
That's right, I had to do the same.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 AM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy View Post
That's right, I had to do the same.
Right on, thanks a bunch for the confirmation.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950