Moving garage air conditioner to the bedroom? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Moving garage air conditioner to the bedroom?

I have a 3200 with the second ac over the garage. I think it would better suit us in the bedroom. Has anyone done this? And is it possible to do without spending a small fortune and tearing a bunch of stuff apart? I don't need it to be ducted or part of the zoned t- stat system which I have had trouble with. It has happened twice now when while running the garage ac (zone 2) it will start to cycle on and off then throws an E1 code that shuts down both ac units. After waiting a while the main ac unit will start to work again.
This problem is talked about in another thread - help finding dometic control circuit card on voltage 3200 started by colorado440.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

Texas
First drop the plastic vent trim piece in the bedroom and look to see is it's pre wired. If it is it will be easy to move... If not see my earlier post about installing a 2nd AC with 30 amp service for tips on wiring a new unit. In my post we ran the romex to an exterior Marinco inlet, with 50 amp service you could run it directly to the electrical panel.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...tall-1725.html

If you'll carefully roll the lap sealant off the top metal trim piece on the vent and remove the screws, you should be able to re install and re seal the same vent in the opening after you move the AC. The garage AC is held in place by four lag bolts that screw up from the lower unit and tighten it down to a compression seal. If you switch from duct-ed to non duct-ed or take it off the house thermostat you'll probably need to change the lower unit @ about $100.

If you're going to have guest stay overnight in the garage you'll need to keep an AC back there, but if you just use it to haul then moving the AC is an option. I would add a third High Efficiency (10 amp) AC to the bedroom with an inlet to plug directly to the park pedestal or to plug into your exterior GFI outlet when on the generator. The generator is only going to run 2 AC's, but with the inlet you could control which two.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/sea...keyword=b59530

To quote Ron White... "I know, I've seen me do it."

Good luck with your project!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41XwKQHJJEL.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	3400  

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4