More light for the Garage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1

Colorado
More light for the Garage

So for the last year we’ve been getting the Polaris side x side out of the garage, setting up the table and using that as a place to set up our computers, printer and other “office like” equipment.

But its dark under there. The two light circuits have a light under each of the original garage cabinets and two on the ceiling just forward of the HappyJack beds.

So how are you supposed to have light to use the table for meals or computers?

Well, I’m working hard to get the whole house changed over to LED lighting, sort of doing the same in the Voltage. And this weekend I saw an LED 48” work light.

Thin enough that the lower HappyJack bed we will go all the way up without touching this work light when mounted to the underside of the upper HappyJack bed.

Hmmmm…so do I get two? Nope, then it hits me, LED bulbs put out more light than the same wattage rating incandescent or compact fluorescent bulbs. So why not just put it right in the center, side-to-side, of the underside of the upper HappyJack bed. That way there is lots of light, but no glare on either my, or the Boss’ computer screens.

So I bought this Feit light, a little expensive, but not for LEDs that will last longer than the Voltage will. Cost was $59.99

The light comes designed to be installed with their 6” lanyards, or use the slotted holes for screws against a surface. So I used the slotted holes, got the light mounted, and then put two more screws so that the light can’t move backward/forward or side to side and fall off the bottom of the bed. I then chose to run the cord along side the light fixture and use plastic loops to keep it in place.

The switch is on the end of the fixture, so I put that forward and even with the upper bed all the way up and pinned, I can reach the switch.

Here’s a picture of the light mounted an showing the way I chose to secure the cord. A loop every six inches.

Here’s another picture taken from the front of the garage, giving a bit more reference to where the light is located.

And here’s a picture of the light fixture powered up. Uses 37 watts of electricity. And provides lots of light in the Garage!!

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:38 AM   #2

Nevada
Pirate,
That's one way to add light to our Dark Hole

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:40 AM   #3

Colorado
Yup, and I got tired of it being a dark hole!
Old 01-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

Arizona
Nice
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #5

Kentucky
Another nice write up.
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #6

California
May I ask where you pulled power from for the light? Are you just using the outlets in the rear to plug it in when you need it or did you hard wire it in somewhere?
RvrRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #7

Alberta
We did the same thing, used a thin strip of soft white LED's that come on 2 way tape all around the bottom of the top bunk, put a switch at the head of the bed near the man door (in the frame box) and pulled 12 volt power from the Happi Jack motor. Placed the wires in a flexible conduit to protect them when beds go up and down loading the toys. When beds are set up the low bunk now has a ton of light, or if table and benches are set up you have all the light you need as well.
2015 Commander 800XT
switz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #8

Colorado
switz01,

That sounds like a good plan.

But I chose the center fixture so that there is lots of light, but its over the center of the table and thus no reflection on our computer screens....and yup, our garage becomes and IT center when the Polaris General is unloaded.

Pirate