Maiden Voyage! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #1

Texas
Maiden Voyage!

So...tomorrow morning, we are setting out for a weekend on South Padre Island in the new V3605! We are all loaded up, I think I've thought of almost everything but I'm sure we've forgotten something!

Quick question....the dealer did NOT install the toilet paper holders because they said they always end up installing them in the wrong spot (where the wifey wants them). So they left them up to me to mount, and I'm curious how and with what I should mount them with? The wall in the master feels absolutely paper thin where I would like to mount it, do I use wall anchors or just throw a couple of screws and tell everyone to take it nice and easy?

So I will take some pics and update as the weekend progresses, I predict a nice, leisurely weekend in the new Voltage!

2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:13 AM   #2

Saskatchewan
We, like you, didn't have a place to mount a holder so bought one of these Better Living Products | Toilet Valet - Chrome | Home Depot Canada Love it!

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:35 AM   #3

Tennessee
My "wifey" bought a stand alone holder... looks pretty cool.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #4

Nevada
Kingston Brass Free Standing Chrome Toilet Paper... : Target
This is what I got but it matched the drawer & door handles.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthefireman View Post
So...tomorrow morning, we are setting out for a weekend on South Padre Island in the new V3605! We are all loaded up, I think I've thought of almost everything but I'm sure we've forgotten something!

Quick question....the dealer did NOT install the toilet paper holders because they said they always end up installing them in the wrong spot (where the wifey wants them). So they left them up to me to mount, and I'm curious how and with what I should mount them with? The wall in the master feels absolutely paper thin where I would like to mount it, do I use wall anchors or just throw a couple of screws and tell everyone to take it nice and easy?

So I will take some pics and update as the weekend progresses, I predict a nice, leisurely weekend in the new Voltage!
We did the stand alone holder too. works fine. and no worrying about ripping holes in the walls.
Have a great maiden voyage, and if I can suggest, keep a simple pad of paper and a pen close. as you are out you will say to yourself, man I need a.... or that isn't working quite right... WRITE IT DOWN. when you get home, you might remember 1 out of 5 things!!!!! good luck and enjoy the weekend. We are headed to the desert here in So Cal for a poker run. ill have a shot in honor of your maiden voyage!

2014 Voltage 3895
2012 Ram Limited CCLB-DRW 4x4
many others... and lots of bills
Hollandazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
I hope you mean pics of Padre, not the TP holder???

I've been wanting to get down to Padre for years...
had reservations @ North Padre one 4th of July and on the way down the Park Service call on my cell to tell me the park was closed due to a hurricane in the gulf.

Looks like you'll have great weather this weekend. Keep us updated on your trip!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #7

Texas
So....overall, not too bad. It's very clear after the 400 mile trip that I will definitely be changing the pin box to an air ride! Chucking was terrible, to the point my wife was about sick. Any suggestions, I'm looking at the Trail Air that comes on most Voltage models. Got settled in to the park with little to no issues. The main tv doesn't seem to want to converse with the remote, not sure what's going on there. Other than those, first night in the books!
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
Old 04-26-2014, 04:09 AM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Any suggestions, I'm looking at the Trail Air that comes on most Voltage models.
Love my Trail Air hitch. Go for it.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #9

Colorado
Just a suggestion as "High Hitching" can also contribute to excessive chucking, make sure your pin box placement is below the top of your 5th wheel hitch and back your truck under the pin box slightly lifting the pin box. I usually set the pinbox ~1-2" below the top of the hitch then drive under it to get a good contact hitchup.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #10

California
Quote:
So....overall, not too bad. It's very clear after the 400 mile trip that I will definitely be changing the pin box to an air ride! Chucking was terrible, to the point my wife was about sick. Any suggestions, I'm looking at the Trail Air that comes on most Voltage models. Got settled in to the park with little to no issues. The main tv doesn't seem to want to converse with the remote, not sure what's going on there. Other than those, first night in the books!
Sure didn't have any of that towing our V3605 the 300+ miles back from where we bought it. We did raise the pin on the trailer once we got home as I was high in the front. Difference might be I'm towing with a one ton 4x4 & yours is a 3/4 ton. Is your truck a 4x4 & short or long bed.?
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Sure didn't have any of that towing our V3605 the 300+ miles back from where we bought it. We did raise the pin on the trailer once we got home as I was high in the front. Difference might be I'm towing with a one ton 4x4 & yours is a 3/4 ton. Is your truck a 4x4 & short or long bed.?
Probably just my truck being a standard bed and 3/4 ton. I put a set of Timbrens on before the trip, the trailer actually sits almost perfectly level. Towing with a B&W Companion slider hitch. I went ahead and ordered a Trailair Tri-Glide, almost had the dealer put one on before delivery but decided to try one trip first.

So we head back in the morning, great trip so far, no major complaints and only a couple lessons learned. Garage door needs some weatherstrip and a door sweep, bath door knob is on backwards, bedroom A/C tripped the breaker once, need some LED light bulbs for ALL fixtures (amazed how much heat they put off), and just a few other tweaks here and there.

One newbie question for y'all, when we get home, can i put the slides out while still connected to the truck to unload, or do i need to unhitch and level up first?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #12

Texas
Quote:
Probably just my truck being a standard bed and 3/4 ton. I put a set of Timbrens on before the trip, the trailer actually sits almost perfectly level. Towing with a B&W Companion slider hitch. I went ahead and ordered a Trailair Tri-Glide, almost had the dealer put one on before delivery but decided to try one trip first.

So we head back in the morning, great trip so far, no major complaints and only a couple lessons learned. Garage door needs some weatherstrip and a door sweep, bath door knob is on backwards, bedroom A/C tripped the breaker once, need some LED light bulbs for ALL fixtures (amazed how much heat they put off), and just a few other tweaks here and there.

One newbie question for y'all, when we get home, can i put the slides out while still connected to the truck to unload, or do i need to unhitch and level up first?
Definitely unhook and level. Enough challenges with the system as it is. I doubt anyone on this forum does it any differently, but if there is please chime in.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #13

Texas
Quote:

You might wan to check all your breakers for tightness. First time i did i found only a few that were tight enough for me.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #14

Texas
Quote:
I always plug in or fire up the generator before operating the slides, they are very sluggish on 12v.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:41 AM   #15

Texas
With our floor plan we only have to run out the small bedroom slide a little to unload. I do not unhook and level to do that. If I need to fully open up I always unhook and level.
Glad the trip went pretty smooth. Whenever we go out we keep a note pad to write down any issues that come up.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmroper View Post
Definitely unhook and level. Enough challenges with the system as it is. I doubt anyone on this forum does it any differently, but if there is please chime in.
I stopped I made lunch on the way back of our first trip. Had to open both slides in main area with the truck connected with no problem. Need to open the curb side slide when stopped to get to the frig also with no problem.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #17

Texas
So after a long day with a STRONG wind, we made it home. Looks like we have the first casualty, a piece of trim came off the galley slide. I'm posting a few pics, and throwing a question out there. When the galley slide is all the way out, it really "tweaks" these two corner trim pieces. Unlike the main slide, which is completely flush, the galley seems to push these two pieces out a bit which is obviously what pressed this trim cap off. I checked the slide both in all the way and out all the way and it appears like it's starting and stopping in the correct place. Could these trim pieces just have been installed a little too tight? The cap was barely held on by four little trim nails, doesn't seem like they were gonna last regardless. Perhaps I will put a few screws in and call it a day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web3.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	953  
Old 04-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #18

Arizona
Quote:
So after a long day with a STRONG wind, we made it home. Looks like we have the first casualty, a piece of trim came off the galley slide. I'm posting a few pics, and throwing a question out there. When the galley slide is all the way out, it really "tweaks" these two corner trim pieces. Unlike the main slide, which is completely flush, the galley seems to push these two pieces out a bit which is obviously what pressed this trim cap off. I checked the slide both in all the way and out all the way and it appears like it's starting and stopping in the correct place. Could these trim pieces just have been installed a little too tight? The cap was barely held on by four little trim nails, doesn't seem like they were gonna last regardless. Perhaps I will put a few screws in and call it a day.
It could just be a tight fit. If you put out slides without leveling the slides can get out of square, and even though they appear to operate correctly they can be out of square enough to pinch trim and carpet, etc. (This was the case in our RV.)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #19

Texas
I would reapply those corner pieces with liquid nails or something comparable.

Due to the issues with slides coming out of alignment, I never open mine without being unhooked and level. Call me paranoid but I just don't want to risk it. I can hear the flexing of the area around my bedroom slide (in the closed position) when I raise or lower my front jacks to connect or disconnect my truck.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #20

Arizona
That trim piece is called a Rosette. I wouldn't put screws in it. The screws would stick out like a sore thumb IMO. I am a carpenter and have a finish nail gun and brad nail gun. I have use the brad nail several places in my trailer. Go with an adhesive and a clamp with padding against the Rosette if you can't nail it. Elmer's wood glue will work great if you can get wood to wood contact. If not use a good adhesive.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote