Looking To Join the Voltage Family - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #1

Alaska
Question Looking To Join the Voltage Family

I have an opportunity to buy a 2013 v3895 that has been the Full Time home for a young couple. I have looked at it and it was hard to get a true feel of it's condition because they are still living in it so I can't look at everything or everywhere.

My question is what are the critical things or area's that I need to look at to determine if this is a good investment?

Any and all opinions are welcome with an investment of this amount. My current RV is a 1996 King of the Road that is still in good condition and everything works. I am the only owner so you see that I do not buy everyday so this is an important decision.

Thanks in advance

Batman01

batman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #2

Pennsylvania
Is the price right? You can save alot of money buying used over brand new
dealers are looking to get rid of 2014 models may get a deal. As for problems areas i would make sure AC works buy a infared thermometer see what the supply air return air temp split is
Check the furnace run it till it heats tstat setpoint check generator operation
Check the fridge also spend as much time as you need to check everything out when i buy used i get the VIN and call the maker of the rv iam looking at they can tell you all the recalls that where done and any recalls that need done thats how keystone is and they just bought dutchman. I had a bought a brand new 2006 keystone outback 31rqs had it for 7yrs no problems i traded last year for a used 2010 fuzion toy hauler on delivery i found tires dryrottre dealer gave me money towards new tires the 2 AC units started not working too last yr this yr had to replace both of them slide floor needed replaced this year i really got a good price on my trade and on the fuzions price. I have been looking at voltages now my fuzion is triaxle not the easiest to move around in tight back in campsites check internet and these forums for problem areas. And spend as much tine as you need to check everything out on a used rv

husky07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:15 AM   #3

Virginia
In addition too----^ While slides are open crawl underneath and look for any water damage on wood flooring. Pull the walls down in basement and search for damage there along with under the sinks.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #4

Alaska
You guys are great. I'm suppose to go there Thursday so I'm getting my list together..

Thanks
batman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman01 View Post
You guys are great. I'm suppose to go there Thursday so I'm getting my list together..

Thanks
Take a moisture meter with you, you should be able to pick up a digital one at HD or LOWES. Well worth the money.

When you do a walk through the rig, check along the outside walls at the ceiling, any vents, under the sinks and toilet.

My old analog moisture meter has saved me a few times when I was looking at used TTs. I was looking at one on a dealers lot, they told me that the pervious owner had repaired damage to the roof after a branch fell and punctured it. As soon as I entered the trailer I could see the spot where the branch hit. Ten seconds later, we walk out of the rig saying no thank you. The moisture meter pegged on the wrong side of the moisture scale. To satisfy my curiosity I climbed the ladder to see what sort of repair had been done. Slathering silicone over the hole is not a repair.

Looking at a private unit, the guy says it doesn't leak, you just reseal the seams every year. Huh.

Checked several spots along the outside walls every spot revealed moisture.

Get on the roof if you can and check the lap sealant, if you see any spots where it looks iffy check on the inside.

A word of caution pick your spots carefully, as the probes will penetrate the finish on the wallboard.

I go with the attitude if the moisture meter shows anything I walk, so that is the first thing that I do is check for moisture. We have walked many times and said, "gee, that's too bad that was a nice looking unit."
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote