Looking for Ideas to Secure a Heavy Tool Cart in the Garage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Wyoming
Looking for Ideas to Secure a Heavy Tool Cart in the Garage

As the title states, I'm looking for ideas as to how to secure a loaded 26" Craftsman tool cart & chest combo in the garage of my Voltage 3200.

(the smaller cart on the left side)

It's on wheels... and loaded with tools, it weighs about 800 lbs.

Looking inside the garage from the ramp, I want it to sit all the way forward & to the left in front of the glass wall. That's really about the only place it can set. The bike takes up the center, I have a washer/dryer combo against the wall on the other side... and that position sets the load pretty much right over the axle.

The issue is, how do I secure it there?

I have a set of cart chocks that I'm going to screw into the floor to keep it from rolling, so that's not going to be a problem... and the drawers lock, so they're not going to come flying open. And I don't plan on keeping the chest on top of the cart in transit. (although it IS heavy, and would be nice if I could somehow)

But what I'm trying to figure out is, how do I secure it to keep the cart from tipping over in transit?

I obviously can't secure it to the glass wall of the sliding door... and I don't really think the side wall 'studs' or aluminum runners making up the skeleton of the rig are strong enough to support the load if it should suddenly begin to topple over. There just aren't any good sturdy anchor points, except on the floor.

So... anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

Oklahoma
I put mine in front of the washer/dryer box. I had to remove the top box so I would fit under the TV self. Screwed an eye bolt to the floor in front of the tool box and one in a stud under the TV shelf.
I lock the brakes on the roll around and then use a small cargo strap to hold the box up against he wall. I cushioned the corners of the box to protect the wall. I just leave the top box on the floor. It all stays where it's supposed to, I can open all the drawers and still have room in front of the scooter to get to the rest of the garage.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

Illinois
I added 6,000lb "D" rings to my floor, mounted solidly to frame rails with bolts as opposed to the 1,500lb "D" rings that are screwed in, from the factory. Rock solid when strapped.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I put mine in front of the washer/dryer box. I had to remove the top box so I would fit under the TV self. Screwed an eye bolt to the floor in front of the tool box and one in a stud under the TV shelf...
Yeah, that's the ideal location... but as I said, I've already got my washer/dryer combo sitting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I added 6,000lb "D" rings to my floor, mounted solidly to frame rails with bolts as opposed to the 1,500lb "D" rings that are screwed in, from the factory. Rock solid when strapped.
Rusty

Floor mounts aren't my problem. I need to mount solid anchors on the wall somewhere... at least 3-ft high... to run a strap across the top face of the box to keep it from tipping over.

These are what I'm going to mount to the floor to keep the box from rolling...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

Illinois
With the wheels chocked tight and winch straps over the top to good "D" rings, and wedged against a pad and a wall, do you think it would move? I know wall mounts would be great but there is nothing solid there, even if you hit a stud. Thinking you don't have any other options.
Rusty
Old 06-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
There just aren't any good sturdy anchor points, except on the floor.

So... anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance...[/SIZE]
I think you answered your own question.
I would install 2 new "D" rings in the floor on each end of the sides of the box. A good rachet strap up & over the top of the box will hold it in place.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I think you answered your own question.
Yeah, but I didn't wanna hear that!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #8

Florida
Guess we can rule out duct tape......
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:

Yeah, that's the ideal location... but as I said, I've already got my washer/dryer combo sitting there.

Floor mounts aren't my problem. I need to mount solid anchors on the wall somewhere... at least 3-ft high... to run a strap across the top face of the box to keep it from tipping over.

These are what I'm going to mount to the floor to keep the box from rolling...

I have been looking at your situation and have had several thoughts. The first was eye bolt at all for corners of the tool box with turnbuckles to a d-ring on the floor. Problem I see with that. Is mounting the eye bolt to the sheet metal of the tool box.

Now looking at you photo. A fairly easy fabrication would be to take a piecie of steel strap 1" x ?" drill a hole in each end. Then take a torch and make a 90 degree twist in it. Make four of these. You could do eight of these. Two on each axle.

One end would mount to the axle bolts. The other end would bolt to the floor. Of corse you would have to try it and see how secure it felt but I feel it may be good. Then at a strap over the top for insurance.

Now, looking at it again. It would be easier to just make L brackets from the axle to the floor.

Perhaps!

Arlan
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Guess we can rule out duct tape......
Off subject but duck tape is dead to me.

Discover Gaffers Tape and you will never go back!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I have been looking at your situation and have had several thoughts. The first was eye bolt at all for corners of the tool box with turnbuckles to a d-ring on the floor. Problem I see with that. Is mounting the eye bolt to the sheet metal of the tool box.

Now looking at you photo. A fairly easy fabrication would be to take a piecie of steel strap 1" x ?" drill a hole in each end. Then take a torch and make a 90 degree twist in it. Make four of these. You could do eight of these. Two on each axle.

One end would mount to the axle bolts. The other end would bolt to the floor. Of corse you would have to try it and see how secure it felt but I feel it may be good. Then at a strap over the top for insurance.

Now, looking at it again. It would be easier to just make L brackets from the axle to the floor.

Perhaps!

Arlan
Or. Put 2 L-Brackets at each corner of the tool box to the floor. My thoughts on mounting to the axle were you would have a bolt to use,

If I went with L-Brackets to the box I would use pop rivets on the box and lags bolts on the floor.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #12

Oklahoma
When I put mine in I was more concerned about it being top heavy more than rolling around. It's been many miles without problems of moving out of it spot and hasn't dared fall over.

The wheel brakes on the box seem to do the trick.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #13

Wyoming
Quote:
When I put mine in I was more concerned about it being top heavy more than rolling around. It's been many miles without problems of moving out of it spot and hasn't dared fall over.

The wheel brakes on the box seem to do the trick.
Yeah, with the wheel brakes & the chocks... I'm not worried at all about it rolling around. The top heavy part is my concern.

I was just out there again trying to look for hard anchor points, and keep coming up empty. I even thought about trying to tap into the sliding glass door frame... but if the cart began toppling, I don't think it'd support it either without ripping the frame right out of place.

So it looks like anchoring to the floor is about my only option. Thanks for the replies. I'll post pics after I figure it all out.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #14

Oklahoma
How tall is the box Tom?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #15

Arizona
Quote:
Yeah, with the wheel brakes & the chocks... I'm not worried at all about it rolling around. The top heavy part is my concern.

I was just out there again trying to look for hard anchor points, and keep coming up empty. I even thought about trying to tap into the sliding glass door frame... but if the cart began toppling, I don't think it'd support it either without ripping the frame right out of place.

So it looks like anchoring to the floor is about my only option. Thanks for the replies. I'll post pics after I figure it all out.
If it's fastened to the floor correctly does that I not take care of the top heavy factor. All the really tall buildings in the world are fastened to the "floor"!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:44 AM   #16

Just curious, but why all the tools?? That Goldwing will not break down..
As a note, its going to be tight in there with the wing and tool boxes along with washer dryer combo.. But if you do fit them all in think about running a cargo strap over the top of the box to hold the top tool box onto the bottom. Tighten it good and I don't think it would slide off.
My wife left several adult beverage bottles on to of the dishwasher in the back. Only one fell over in a 120 mile trip.. amazing how smooth the back rides.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:49 AM   #17

Wyoming
Fair question...

I'm about to go full time in the RV. I like changing my own oil, like adding & modifying accessories, etc... and I hate not having the correct tool handy. Especially when I know that I own it. I've never met a tool I didn't like. As you can see by the picture I posted, I've got 3 carts, and they're all full of good quality tools... none of that Harbor Freight crap. Even the carts are quality. Those are the expensive ones, with ball-bearing slides and lock-latches. Got my first one when I was 16, and I've owned some of the tools in those boxes since I was 12 years old.

When I decided I was going fulltime, one of the first questions I had to decide about my workshop was... what tools to sell (table lift, tire changing machine, etc)... what to store... and what to bring with me?

I began with a basic set of hand tools... well, ok, what I consider basic. A set of wrenches, ratchets, sockets... that morphed into screwdrivers & Torx drivers... pliers, wire cutters, vice grips, etc, etc, etc.

When I began looking at how many toolboxes I'd need to carry them (5 or 6, at least)... I figured I may as well bring an entire cart.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 07-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #18

Illinois
How about adding a tool box to the bed of your 450?
Rusty
Old 07-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #19

Oklahoma
When I moved from my house in Arizona to Mexico I had to 'tool down' because of limited space. Going through the kitchen junk drawer and the dive gear and the glove compartment and the work shop I ended up with only 35 #2 Philips screwdrivers.

Now how many screw drivers does a guy really need. I tooled down in Arizona and when I left Mexico last year I tooled down again. The tools I need now I have to buy but they are new and improved. I still have tools that I had in the 60's but I did get rid of the 19/32" in block tappet adjusting wrench.
It's difficult to give a tool a new home but who really needs a set of Whitworth wrenches?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #20

Illinois
Tools

Quote:
When I moved from my house in Arizona to Mexico I had to 'tool down' because of limited space. Going through the kitchen junk drawer and the dive gear and the glove compartment and the work shop I ended up with only 35 #2 Philips screwdrivers.

Now how many screw drivers does a guy really need. I tooled down in Arizona and when I left Mexico last year I tooled down again. The tools I need now I have to buy but they are new and improved. I still have tools that I had in the 60's but I did get rid of the 19/32" in block tappet adjusting wrench.
It's difficult to give a tool a new home but who really needs a set of Whitworth wrenches?
Working on my Harley. I need a 19/32nd inch block tappet adjusting wrench abnd 34 #2 Phillips screwdrivers. Anyone have some I can borrow? LOL. I know what you mean though. I can't seem to get rid of tools either. I have some from my grandfather that are ancient and outdated, but can't bring myself to get rid of them.
Rusty