Lippert 6-Point Hydraulic Auto-Level System Sensors... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 AM   #1

Wyoming
Lippert 6-Point Hydraulic Auto-Level System Sensors...

OK, let's see if any of you have had this issue...

Haven't been able to use my Auto-Level system at the last 2 sites. I drop the landing gear as usual... unhitch, pull away... come back and stab the "AUTO LEVEL" button with my finger. System readout BEEPS and gives me the following error message:

EXCESS ANGLE

The first site I was in was a bit off kilter, so I didn't think much of it. I repositioned today to a flat and level area of asphalt to load my bike... and got the same error.

So I called Lippert. The tech rep stated that most likely, one of the 2 sensors that determine leveling for the system has become dislodged from it's mount.

The first is the main unit, located in our front battery/generator compartment. The tech said to make sure it was still securely mounted, and in the correct orientation. I went out and looked... check... everything is where it's supposed to be.

The 2nd sensor box is in the rear... located ?somewhere? between the rear axle & rear bumper. The tech said that it should be mounted to a cross-member somewhere back there... and this sensor is usually the one that gets dislodged during the normal course of driving.

Well, I crawled all around under the rig looking for it, and I can't find it anywhere back there. Most of the sealed underbelly stops at the garage... so from there back it should've been pretty easy to find unless it's located between the double auxiliary fuel tanks. My next thought was that it completely fell off... but even then, I should see some exposed wires hanging from the connector.

So, my question is... have any of you experienced something similar... and if so, do you know where that sensor box is located?

Here's a link to the Troubleshooting Guide that explains the sensors...

https://lci1.com/assets/content/supp...ting_Guide.pdf

I really hate to have to take it into Camping World to fix something that should be so simple.

Thanks...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:31 AM   #2

Arizona
I haven't seen that yet.

Have you tried the calibration procedure yet.

Just a thought.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:06 AM   #3

Maryland
Can you still operate in the manual mode? If so, getting it close to level, then auto leveling, would it cause the same error?

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I haven't seen that yet.

Have you tried the calibration procedure yet.

Just a thought.
I agree with this - I had several initial isues until I found the right/left solenoids were connected in reverse than the calibration - all was cured...
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

Wyoming
UPDATE:

Ok, was out there again this morning, looking under the rig... still no joy in finding it.

Frustrated, I decided to try the calibration thing yet again. (yes, I had tried it twice before). Still no joy.

Left the RV park on my way to Flagstaff, AZ to spend a couple days at the Grand Canyon before heading back east. Stopped for lunch... and since I had a nice big parking area, I decided to try zeroing it again.

Dropped the landing gear, unhitched, pulled away... went thru the procedure... got a 'success' message, and tried it out... again...

...and this time, something must have clicked, because now it works. Did the auto-level thing as advertised.

Go figure...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 AM   #6

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
UPDATE:

Ok, was out there again this morning, looking under the rig... still no joy in finding it.

Frustrated, I decided to try the calibration thing yet again. (yes, I had tried it twice before). Still no joy.

Left the RV park on my way to Flagstaff, AZ to spend a couple days at the Grand Canyon before heading back east. Stopped for lunch... and since I had a nice big parking area, I decided to try zeroing it again.

Dropped the landing gear, unhitched, pulled away... went thru the procedure... got a 'success' message, and tried it out... again...

...and this time, something must have clicked, because now it works. Did the auto-level thing as advertised.

Go figure...
I figure loose connection.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:27 AM   #7

Nevada
Lippert 6-point

ATCguy

Glad it worked out, Not the same trouble, but one time when I had the Auto-Level give me the Excess Angle…..I had set up and pushed the Auto-Level and didn't notice that my rear jack was in a hole and the excess Angle noticed showed…The jack looked a little off Angle and ever since the jack is leaking, trying to get in for repairs.
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #8

Texas
Greeting all, new member here. I have had nothing but problems with the Lippert Auto Level. First time I used it, nothing would retract as it was suppose to. It took me an hour to get hooked back up. I had issues with the excess angle message as well at times.Took it back to dealer and it took them almost 7 months to fix. I only use the manual mode now. It seems to work fine in the manual mood. I was ready to trade the entire rig but Lippert pretty much has the market cornered. Just my little story.
JHOSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:48 AM   #9

Colorado
remind me how the calibration procedure works. Did it once to get zero reset, not sure if I wrote the process down, and if I did, where it is?

Sure would appreciate it!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #10

Michigan
First, level your rig front to rear and side to side in manual mode using bubble levels.

ZERO SETTING THE CONTROL
1. Turn “ON/OFF” button “OFF”
2. Push “FRONT” button 10 times,
3. Push “REAR” button 10 times
4. Control will flash and beep, LCD says “ZERO POINT CALIBRATE”
5. To memorize this level condition , press “ENTER”
6. LCD says “ZERO POINT STABILITY SUCCESSFULLY SET”
7. The control will then turn off.
8. Turn on to commence operation.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #11

Wyoming
Just as an added note to Don's procedure post above...

Mine wouldn't go thru the process until I killed all power to the rig, by turning the battery switch in the basement off. I guess that erased all memory in the system. I turned the battery switch back on, and then did the procedure.. and it worked.

Not sure if you will need to do that... but if it doesn't work the first time, try that.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE