Lifting wheels with auto -level system - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 01:00 AM   #1

Virginia
Lifting wheels with auto -level system

Has anybody used the auto leveler to lift wheels on one side or the other for maintenance like changing tires or working on brakes? If so, how to you get around the out of level errors on the controller? Do you just keep raising up each side a little at a time until one is off the ground? Or, maybe there is a way to by-pass the out of level error on the controller.

DR Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #2

Iowa
Yes I've done that several times, I assume you are talking about the hydraulic levelers with the 6 jacks? I just go to manual mode and raise each side a couple inches at a time. I like to use wood blocks under the jack pads so the rams don't have to extend out as far, I feel that makes the jacks more stable. I've left both side up for several days with no problems.

dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:00 AM   #3

Nevada
DR, I have also done that, but I didn't have any blocks, so when I raised it to far, one of the jacks then got a leak, so I would use blocks like dougs2, so it don't over extend, I use blocks now....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:09 AM   #4

California
I've done it many times and for and extended period when I changed the brakes to electric over hydraulic discs. I have electric screw jacks so once they are up I have a high level of confidence they will stay up until they are electrically "unscrewed". Take into consideration that hydraulic jacks can fail because of a loss of pressure in a line, a bad seal, a lose line connection etc.. Take appropriate cautions to ensure your rig can't free fall with you under it!!
Old 07-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
The RV shop we have local loves when I take it in for inspection and pick it up for them to check the wheels.
I also use it to check the bearings each year. I toss my 4k jack stands under it (just in case).
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:58 AM   #6

Michigan
I have done it twice. Second time the front jack mount ripped off the frame. Came crashing down blew the gears out of ever jack on that side. Wasn't good. Just something to think about.
spragu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 AM   #7

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by spragu2010 View Post
I have done it twice. Second time the front jack mount ripped off the frame. Came crashing down blew the gears out of ever jack on that side. Wasn't good. Just something to think about.
I've done it plenty of times with my 6-point HYDRAULIC Auto-Level system... as there are, of course, no 'gears' involved.

That said, I just found out last month that Lippert also makes a 4-point electric auto-level system, with the gearing & such. Not sure I would try it with that.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:40 AM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I've done it plenty of times with my 6-point HYDRAULIC Auto-Level system... as there are, of course, no 'gears' involved.

That said, I just found out last month that Lippert also makes a 4-point electric auto-level system, with the gearing & such. Not sure I would try it with that.

Mine is actually a 6 point electric gear system. Not sure what year they switched to the hydraulic. I may have just had bad luck.
spragu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:51 AM   #9

California
They say not to try it with the 4 point system. Implication is you can with the 6, which i have. I too have had the wheels off the ground for several days (it did it itself on autolevel a few times) and would feel ok trying to change a tire that way if necessary. It would still be good to have a block or jack under it if possible.
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:44 AM   #10

Colorado
Well, this past Fall I put sections of new Railroad tie under each jack and used the manual Front and Rear to raise the wheels about 4" off the concrete pad. It got left that way for two weeks while I got the new tires. Never moved a bit!

Handy knowledge for changing a flat tire....that I hope I never have!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #11

Virginia
Used the levelers to lift and removed China Bombs.

I finally got around to actually trying to lift the Voltage with the leveling system. Worked like a champ! I am replacing the China Bombs with Goodyear G614s. I drop the wheels off with the tire dealer on Friday morning.

Interesting side note is when I took off the China Bombs and rolled them into the garage, one of them looked larger. Even though the sidewalls are marked the as the same size, as can be seen in the picture it is almost 2" taller. I'm glad I decided to change these out now before something bad happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	4210   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB2.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	4211   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB3.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	4212  
DR Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #12

Missouri
Angry Caution: Potential Life Threatening Situation

:Be aware of the spring loaded pins on your electric leveling jacks!

We just had both pins fail on the rear jacks on our 2012 3200, they sheared on both jacks and dropped the unit from an almost fully extended position.

When the unit dropped we could not believe what had just happened. Upon inspection we found that the pins had been fully engaged through both walls of the steel tubes and that there was a section of the pin fully contained inside the interior tube as well as a piece 1" or so long from the very end of the pin. This confirmed that the pins were fully engaged when the failure occurred.

If you are working under the rig this could be fatal should it happen to you.

I am going to replace the spring loaded pins with hardened units similar to those that attach the landing pads to the bottom of the jacks

I would be very interested to know if anyone else has had this problem??
whfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #13

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
Interesting side note is when I took off the China Bombs and rolled them into the garage, one of them looked larger. Even though the sidewalls are marked the as the same size, as can be seen in the picture it is almost 2" taller.
That's probably a broken belt on the taller one.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #14

maybe i missed something in this thread but part of the OP question was how to get around the error when lifting the unit on its legs. I know If I do not block the center and rear enough or drop the extensions on the legs enough it will only extend 6 or so inches then error out. I am referring to the electric screw type not the hydraulic. I would love to be able to lift my unit enough to work on the brakes etc if possible.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
maybe i missed something in this thread but part of the OP question was how to get around the error when lifting the unit on its legs. I know If I do not block the center and rear enough or drop the extensions on the legs enough it will only extend 6 or so inches then error out. I am referring to the electric screw type not the hydraulic. I would love to be able to lift my unit enough to work on the brakes etc if possible.
After the automatic leveling is finished I'll use the manual mode to lift the unit. All electric, no juice.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote