LED upgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #1

California
LED upgrade

Hello everyone,

Has anyone done an LED bulb change on their rig? If so, what bulbs did you use, where did you get them from, and how do you like the way things look?

I've calculated an 80% reduction in power consumption per bulb changed. Anyone know how many bulbs there are in the interior? And how many there are outside?

If you changed every bulb on the rig, how many total would you have to replace? I'm going to find out.

If you've done any upgrading with LEDs, it would neat to know what you did.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

New York
We did the LED swap out on our Sunline - I did not replace all the lights - only those that we used all the time (living area, over the kitchen sink and the bedroom). We mostly boondock and gained another day of battery use by changing out 1/2 dozen lights! We bought ours (can't remember which #) from SuperBrightLights.........we loved them.

We have owned our Rubicon for almost a year but have only camped in it about 21 days - it has either been in winter storage or at the dealer (over 6 weeks) - we just got it back and are finally getting things where we need them BUT with all the issues we have DH & I are not sure this is a trailer we want to keep! Latest warranty issue is a major leaking roof, which did not leak over Memorial Day!

Anyway IF you plan on boondocking - yes change them out - however I would recommend you change a few in the critical areas and see how you like them, try the warm white - we like them much better than the bright white! But that again is a matter of opinion!

We wish you better luck with your new Voltage than we are having with our Rubicon!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
We did the LED swap out on our Sunline - I did not replace all the lights - only those that we used all the time (living area, over the kitchen sink and the bedroom). We mostly boondock and gained another day of battery use by changing out 1/2 dozen lights! We bought ours (can't remember which #) from SuperBrightLights.........we loved them.

We have owned our Rubicon for almost a year but have only camped in it about 21 days - it has either been in winter storage or at the dealer (over 6 weeks) - we just got it back and are finally getting things where we need them BUT with all the issues we have DH & I are not sure this is a trailer we want to keep! Latest warranty issue is a major leaking roof, which did not leak over Memorial Day!

Anyway IF you plan on boondocking - yes change them out - however I would recommend you change a few in the critical areas and see how you like them, try the warm white - we like them much better than the bright white! But that again is a matter of opinion!

We wish you better luck with your new Voltage than we are having with our Rubicon!
Good points you make there. I will check on the lights we use all the time, change them first. I'll have to figure out if I like bright white or warm white. I'm thinking bright. I like things super white anyway.

I'll have to figure out how to remove the puck lights. Once that's all done, I can do a step by step tutorial on it for others. Also will list the type of bulbs, and where to find them. I've been to the site your mention. It sure does have lots of LED bulbs! Good stuff.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #4

Michigan
fyi, I can have every single led light on in our rig with nary a change in the sound of our fan motor. However turn on just one of the incandescent bulbs and you can hear the fan slow down.
Not very scientific, I know but it does give one an idea of power useage. there must be 30 or so of the leds on the inside.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #5

British Columbia
I've changed about 90% of the lighting in and on our TT. Rigid Industries and Aliexpress are the two sources that I've used.
Rigid has great lighting, I find the 6 led panel too bright for the inside so I use the 3 led panel in and the 6 led panel out. Rigid is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Aliexpress is an escrow service for purchasing direct from china, you should find whatever you need at a fraction of the cost of an RV or auto-parts dealer. Just be warned the free shipping can take an extended period of time so use a courier if you are in a hurry.

Rigid LED lights and a quick search on aliexpress

Hope you find what your looking for, enjoy. I have no interest in either party, just posting what has worked for me.

Cheers
Daryl B.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #6

British Columbia
Wouldn't live without them now. It's great to be able to see what's printed on the pages of book.

We use the super white LEDs, they are closest to daylight and are easier on our old eyes.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

Oklahoma
I counted all the bulbs in my Voltage 3905.....45 of them on the inside! Should be about the same for your 3950. I bought a dozen LEDs from amazon and started replacing them in the garage. They were bright white, so they have a slightly fluorescent look to them, but they are good and bright. My son also made the comment that he thought it was cooler back there with the LEDs.

It says they are natural white, but they have a slight bluish color, like a fluorescent tube. Not bad enough to gripe about. Here is the link

6 sets of Gold Stars 92111802-06 LED Replacement Light Bulb 921/T15 Wedge base 120 Lumens 12v or 24v Natural White : Amazon.com : Automotive
macman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #8

New York
If your puck lights are anything like ours - it is a chore to take them apart - they do not "twist" as I was told by my dealer and Dutchmen!

The lens is glass and you need to pry something between the lens and the body of the light and pop it off.....be careful!!!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #9

California
Hi all... just brought the new rig home. Counted the puck lights. JUST the puck lights, not all of the lights. The total pucks is 29 in my 3950.

As for removal. They are glass, and have indentations on them on the inside. You actually twist them counter clockwise, just a quarter turn, then pull straight down. They come right out.

I'll be re-doing all the bulbs with LED. Don't like the yellow cast of the hot, hot, hot incandescent bulbs.

Man, what a great coach this is. Ours is flawless. Just perfect. I'll write it up on the blog.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #10

Oklahoma
I've changed out most of my Halogens with LEDs recently. I left the glaring Halogens over the stove so I could see when the bacon is cooked.

I calculate my changeover cost per unit to be 2 bucks. Yep, not those store bought 45 dollar plug and play units but two bucks worth of components and a few minutes each.
The lens will twist off, you just have to find the index tabs to clear and usually the lens will fall in your hand. The fixture itself is a finger killer. Pull the fixture partially from the hole until you start seeing the spring portion of the fixture. If you miss them your fingers and/or thumbs will know it.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #11

New York
Guess we have different puck lights.....tried what you guys are explaining and it did not work.......we have to pull down and they pry off....major PITA!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #12

Oklahoma
With the LEDs, may you never have to pry them again!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
With the LEDs, may you never have to pry them again!
That was my thought - but right now too many other updates and mods to do!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #14

Oklahoma
sundancer 87,
do you remember what you used for the puck lights I know they have the g4 base but what size leds did you use?
Old 08-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiejim View Post
sundancer 87,
do you remember what you used for the puck lights I know they have the g4 base but what size leds did you use?
I used LED chips or elements. These don't have a base per se but are wired in to the supply wires.

I can find the item if you want.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #16

Tennessee
This is on my list.G4 Bi-pin base 6pcs (SMD5050) LEDs LED Light Lamp | Led strip wholesale a lot cheaper. I like sundancer's price better.... give it it up man no secrets here.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
This is on my list.G4 Bi-pin base 6pcs (SMD5050) LEDs LED Light Lamp | Led strip wholesale a lot cheaper. I like sundancer's price better.... give it it up man no secrets here.
2pcs 10Watt 10W 9V 12V High Power LED 900LM Bulb Warm White 20000K Lamp Light | eBay

These require a resistor to prevent overdriving them.

Skill level 40, requires use of hot pointed tools, may burn delicate body parts, user needs good eye sight and steady hands. Not to be attempted after or during consuming adult breverages.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #18

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
2pcs 10Watt 10W 9V 12V High Power LED 900LM Bulb Warm White 20000K Lamp Light | eBay

These require a resistor to prevent overdriving them.

Skill level 40, requires use of hot pointed tools, may burn delicate body parts, user needs good eye sight and steady hands. Not to be attempted after or during consuming adult breverages.
I can't read that last sentence in red, can you enlarge it?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #19

Oklahoma
Sundancer,
Thank you for you time and info. Those look interesting, I'm just not sure about using them in the puck lights. I am thinking of going the led paddle route. Much easier install. These days easy install works better for me.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
I can't read that last sentence in red, can you enlarge it?

Thanks

Slim, you may be a candidate for a Dutchman installer!!!