Leaky/Uncloseable Front Gray Tank Valve - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #1

Maryland
Leaky/Uncloseable Front Gray Tank Valve

Any experience out there accessing the main gray tank dump valve on a 3600 or similar unit? After one opening this weekend, the valve handle/cable is hard to move and I'm unable to completely close it. Time to open the underbelly

Curt and Dee

2015 Voltage 3600, Yel/Blk/Slvr Full Body Paint
2013 GMC 3500 Dually with Duramax
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

Oklahoma
My tank does the same thing...

Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #3

Michigan
Pirate posted a pretty detailed thread on this topic - bottom line appears to be that they installed way too long of cables and they bind - mine are very difficult to pull/push as well and are leaky. I have a temporary solution in the valtera add on valves for the end of the drain pipes until the wallet and time allow me to purchase the electric valves.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #4

Nevada
I have the Valtera add on valves on all my drain pipes, its extra Ins. and they don't cost very much. I don't get any surprises
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMEY3600 View Post
Any experience out there accessing the main gray tank dump valve on a 3600 or similar unit? After one opening this weekend, the valve handle/cable is hard to move and I'm unable to completely close it. Time to open the underbelly

Ridiculous set up on Dutchmens part. I had the same issue on my 3905. I peeled the under belly back from the front until I reached the tanks. The cables are extremely long and mine had a kink in it. I went ahead and replaced both valves with powered units and I love them! Good luck!
bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:55 AM   #6

Maryland
Prefer not to cut the underbelly for access and understand more work will be involved but what is the best method to remove the rivets they installed? Drill, chisel, other?

Curt and Dee

2015 Voltage 3600, Yel/Blk/Slvr Full Body Paint
2013 GMC 3500 Dually with Duramax
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:08 AM   #7

Nevada
I used an air hammer with a chisel on it.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:18 AM   #8

Iowa
I used a 4" angle grinder to grind the heads off flush with the washer.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:20 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs2 View Post
I used a 4" angle grinder to grind the heads off flush with the washer.
X2

When I put it back together, I used tek screws.
bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMEY3600 View Post
Came back from 35 days of camping with our 2014 Denali 289RK and I have the same problem with my bathroom grey tank (front one). Valve worked for about a week and now it won't close. Unit is in the shop right now waiting for the part but we are leaving again for 10 weeks on the 13th of July. If the parts aren't in, we will go anyway as I connect my drain to a 15gal porta-tote and since it's only the bathroom sink (we don't use the shower), it takes a while to fill. It's also handy as the black tank also empties from the same pipe so I can do a partial empty once a week which saves me from going to the dumping station.

Some on here mentioned electric valves. How do those work and how expensive are they? I have 3 valves in all.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #11

Tennessee
Why waste your time hammering cutting grinding those blasted rivets shot through the frame?

Take a razor blade cut closely around them drop it down. I removed kinks from cables and they now work fine. A good sharpe drill bit and and few self tapping screws job done. wrapped a small piece of gorilla tape over small areas where I cut around rivets.

Removing those rivets is a real PITA. I now have an access panel for furture repairs if needed.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #12

Alabama
We have had our 3970 for almost 3 months now and all 3 cables are frozen shut. The first to go was the black tank after using the second time. It is at the dealership now hoping to get it resolved. We got a call from them yesterday and the first thing said was they would not cover the valve under warranty and they had it all taken apart. They asked me to authorize parts and labor for them to put it back together. I was not happy to say the least. We will be picking it up tomorrow and will see where things end up
WifiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #13

Colorado
Mountie,

You have a bit of time, go on the Valterra.com site and order the $27 valves that connect to the end of your drain pipes where the sewer hose does. The valve has the same connector with slots to connect to the pins on the drain pipe. Then the valve has a set of pins to connect your sewer hose to.

Since getting these last Fall...I just leave them on the drain pipe. No problems at all. That way I can get connected, then open the valve...and not get a lap full of #*@*.

The electric valves are about $235. Easy to install and work just great!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:38 AM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Mountie,

You have a bit of time, go on the Valterra.com site and order the $27 valves that connect to the end of your drain pipes where the sewer hose does. The valve has the same connector with slots to connect to the pins on the drain pipe. Then the valve has a set of pins to connect your sewer hose to.

Since getting these last Fall...I just leave them on the drain pipe. No problems at all. That way I can get connected, then open the valve...and not get a lap full of #*@*.

The electric valves are about $235. Easy to install and work just great!!

Pirate
Thanks Pirate....will look into this and order two in the fall. The trailer is on warranty until next May + we have an extended warranty but I like the idea of the safety of the additional valve just in case. We are lucky it's only the grey valve and not the black!!
Old 07-10-2015, 03:32 AM   #15

Colorado
I'd go ahead and get the Valterra "twist on valves"...here's a link:

Twist On Valve Archives - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

Would have no impact on warranty, and would prevent those wonderful messes!!!

Pirate
Old 07-10-2015, 04:00 AM   #16

Alabama
We picked one up this week and will be using it! We have been dealing with wonderful surprises since the rig was 2 weeks old.
WifiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #17

Alberta
We used the rig twice now to dump sewage and had two not so wonderful suprized.. Just like valves are not fully closing for some reason, but seam operate like normal.. Getting tires real quickly of the suprized and plan to install the valve a few post back..

Another well pdi trailer
Bussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #18

Ontario
Quote:
I'd go ahead and get the Valterra "twist on valves"...here's a link:

Twist On Valve Archives - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

Would have no impact on warranty, and would prevent those wonderful messes!!!

Pirate
Just called my dealer and they have one on hand so they will put it on and now I won't have to keep my fingers crossed that they get the parts today and get it fixed by Monday morning before we leave!!!

Thanks again for the info Pirate!!!

Yves
Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #19

Colorado
Yves,

If the dealer is going to charge labor to put it on...just buy the valve and put it on yourself. Putting it on is just exactly like connecting your drain hose to the trailer drain pipe.

Just sayin'

Pirate
Old 07-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #20

Ontario
Quote:
Yves,

If the dealer is going to charge labor to put it on...just buy the valve and put it on yourself. Putting it on is just exactly like connecting your drain hose to the trailer drain pipe.

Just sayin'

Pirate
No charge for just screwing it on, otherwise, yeah, I would put it on myself.

Y