Leaky/Uncloseable Front Gray Tank Valve - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 03:15 AM   #21

Colorado
You'll find them very helpful. And they swivel on the drain pipe, so you can position the pull handle where it works best for you!!!

Safe travels!!!

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #22

Nevada
I use the same Twist-ON valves on all of my drains, from day one and haven't had any surprises and don't have to worry about the main valves not closing all the way. Low cost and good Ins.

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #23

Maryland
Old valves are out...ordered the new electric EZ valves...for those fretting about the belly cover rivets, easily removed with a 3 lb mallet and a chisel. 3 mins to remove the 5 I needed to take out.

Curt and Dee

2015 Voltage 3600, Yel/Blk/Slvr Full Body Paint
2013 GMC 3500 Dually with Duramax
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #24

Alberta
Well I get set up to dump Again thinking valves will be leaking like the first two times and to find out they both sealed perfect.. Not sure why they leaked and now don't.. Kids weird
Bussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:55 AM   #25

Colorado
Sadly, I wouldn't count on being lucky and they don't leak again!

I'd at least get the twist on valves and have some sense of surety that there won't be a mess!!!

Just me!

Pirate
Old 09-08-2015, 01:53 AM   #26

Washington
I just had mine replaced with Electric and what a difference, since they are powered, you know for sure they are closed. The cost of the valves are around $200 each, you can find some around $175 sometimes, but if the dealer installs them, that is the cost, it is a long process to undo the bottom and reseal, plus installing the valves. Cost me $1300 to have three valves installed and switches wired to where I wanted them. We are full timers, so doing it myself was not in the cards, but if I was not a full timer, I would do it myself, it is not that hard really. Matter of fact, I removed the 3rd valve myself as I had a stuck kitchen valve, so I went under and removed it prior to going to the dealer to get them installed. If you have the time, do it yourself and save a ton of money.
ranbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #27

Oklahoma
Leaking dump valves

I have a 2015 3790 voltage and I had to take it in to have all three dump valves replaced. It was still under warranty luckily. I am wondering if the manufacturer had got a hold of some bad valves.
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #28

Washington
Yeah, no idea, mine is a 2015 as well, the black tank was leaking, then the cable broke, then the third valve stopped working and the cable would not go all the way back in. I was under warranty as well so they paid for the removal and putting the bottom back on, I just paid for the upgraded valves as well as to have the electrical switches ran. I must tell you that it is a dream to operate these now. Love them!
ranbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #29
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grdrod1 View Post
I have a 2015 3790 voltage and I had to take it in to have all three dump valves replaced. It was still under warranty luckily. I am wondering if the manufacturer had got a hold of some bad valves.
Doubt the valves were bad, more likely a shoddy installation. The valves are pretty simple, but if you over tighten the screws, or hit them with something it will pretty much render them useless. The cable ones are an even bigger nightmare from what I gather. They apparently only come with one cable length with no provision to shorten it. So they just coil it up and throw it in the underbelly. I have not had to deal with a cable valve so I am not sure of all the specifics. Mine are right under the edge of the trailer, one of mine was binding when I bought the trailer, had sawdust in the grooves on the valve. cleaned it out added a touch of vaseline and it works fine.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:19 AM   #30

Colorado
wahoonc is correct.

Look in the plumbing area behind the basement and you'll see the cause.

Each valve has an 8ft cable. The cable is "fixed" at both ends so no shortening.

The cable is just a "wire" inside a "spiral sheath"...its not Teflon lined like most cables these days. Both ends are sealed, so there is no way to lubricate them.

And worst of all...as noted the cable is 8 feet long. Its only about 3 feet to the front gray tank and about 5 feet to the front black tank. So there is a lot of cable just "wadded up" in the plumbing area. To expect them to work long term...is just nuts!!

But yep, the Valterra electric valves are fabulous and the Valterra "Twist On" valves are great insurance!!

Pirate
Old 10-31-2015, 02:25 AM   #31

California
Pirate - as you predicted I am needing to do the Valterra electric valves too. Grey won't shut, not sure if front or back or both, as either comes out same place as front black.. So I am going to do all like you said. You showed me how to get behind the water panel.. Please send pics or link to your mod story if you did one... TIA, VCToyHauler.
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:54 PM   #32

Colorado
Sure, here's the link to the post I did on my installation.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...lves-2682.html

Pirate
Old 11-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #33

California
Thanks Pirate! I ordered the Valterra twiston valve right a way just to have that backup first, while I study the rest and decide whether or not to do that myself..
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #34

Colorado
Even after you get the electric valves installed...I left the twist on valve in place...just in case!!

The Electric valve install is really pretty easy. Especially if you're not modifying the drain piping like I did. Just wanted to get the connection out from under the living room slide.

If you have questions...holler!!

Pirate
Old 11-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #35

British Columbia
It's a conspiracy between Valtera and Dutchmen to sell electric valves.

For about five cents a valve Dutchmen could have installed the cables correctly and no one would have a problem.

I don't know how many of you youngsters know about the days of manual chokes, if you just took the choke cable and hooked it to the carburator on one end and the dash on the other 9 time out of 10 it would twist or bind. Take a simple little clamp, put it in the middle to keep it from twisting and bunching up and it worked every time.

Great business this RV stuff built crap so people get frustrated and spend a bunch of money to fix someting that shouldn't be a problem.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #36

Colorado
Even better would have been for Dutchmen to insist the cable be the correct length or a style that could be cut to fit.

Better yet would have been to sell the trailer with electric valves.

But Nooooooo

Pirate
Old 11-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #37
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Even better would have been for Dutchmen to insist the cable be the correct length or a style that could be cut to fit.

Better yet would have been to sell the trailer with electric valves.

But Nooooooo

Pirate
Don't forget the profits baybee... That is the one and only goal of Dutchmen.

Aaron
Old 11-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #38

Colorado
So let's see...valves are about $240 each, so Dutchmen should add about $1200 to the sticker price? That sound about right?

Pirate
Old 11-03-2015, 12:02 AM   #39
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
So let's see...valves are about $240 each, so Dutchmen should add about $1200 to the sticker price? That sound about right?

Pirate

Nope 300% markup more like $2400 would be closer, not to mention the pay for the fine craftsman.

Aaron
Old 11-03-2015, 05:05 AM   #40

Colorado
Aaron,

Well, I would have to dicker with the dealer on the price...but in retrospect...it might be worth it.

It wasn't a real big job changing out the front grey and black water valves...but if I didn't have to do it...well...

Pirate