Landing gear power - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
ITS

California
Landing gear power

I just picked up a Triton 2951 and am getting familiar with everything. I noticed that the landing gear and rear stabilizers are powered even with the master battery switch off. Is this normal?
If so, I'm thinking of adding a keyed switch to the circuit to disable them when unattended. Anyone have a better solution?
Thanks.

ITS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:54 AM   #2

Arizona
Just went out and checked mine, and yes, even if I turn off the batt shut off switch in the basement I can still turn the level-up system on. Reason for this is as far as I can tell is that the systems in mine at least are direct wired to the batt, and power the module controller and then to the wall pad.
I would also assume it is designed that way to keep its memory, so that when you power it up to couple to the truck it will still remember your last height setting.
I am quite sure it is not to remember the level of the system, as I had all batts out and no power applied, and did not have to zero level the system when I reapplied the power.
Don't know for sure on that though.
I doubt that the small draw on the batts to keep the memory is enough to cause too much drain on the batts. My level up controller is in my locked basement, and I have previously instructed the kids and wife not to mess with it if unlocked for some reason, unless she is performing the extremely very rare occurrence of having to couple/uncouple the rig.

I would likely not add another switch for this as I think it is a little redundant with having the lock on the door, and the aforementioned memory issue.
As a side issue, if people messing with your coach is a common occurrence I might suggest camping or storing it in a better area if possible (kidding), as there are worse things that could happen than someone touching the levelers. JMO.
If the door with the level up system in it is not lockable, change out one of the latches for a keyed latch.

Congrats on your your new 5th Wheel.

Gear

4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:17 AM   #3

Arizona
Congrats on your new 2951!

The landing gear motor on our '16 2951 operates with the battery switch off. The landing gear motors are wired directly through resetable fuses located underneath a black plastic cover in the battery compartment area.

On our 2951, the battery switch only shuts off 12vdc power to everything that's wired through the DC portion of the power distribution panel located near the front door on the right side of the sink.

If you add a switch make sure it can handle the current. I'm guessing the landing gear motors probably draw about 10-12 amps (12vdc).
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
ITS

California
Thanks for the responses. I don't have auto-leveling, just one exterior switch for the gear up front and one on the right rear for the stabilizers.

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but I'd like to cut power to everything in storage. I also wouldn't want someone to be able to actuate the jacks while I was parked somewhere. I'll just add a second master switch inside the gen compartment door and lock out those circuits separately.

So far I love this trailer. Seems much better built than my last but still leaving plenty of work for me.
ITS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

Arizona
While our 2951 is in storage we always disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Since it's so easy to do we never gave much thought to installing a master disconnect switch.

If I was going to install a hidden secondary switch for the front landing gear I'd install it just inside the left front propane tank compartment. That's where the landing gear motor and the backside of the master switch for the landing gear motor are located. A secondary switch would be easy to install and access here.
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote