Kitchen Island Ceiling Assembly - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Maryland
Kitchen Island Ceiling Assembly

I have a 3950, I am curious if anyone has peaked inside the ceiling assembly above the island in the kitchen? I do want to add a switch to turn the puck lights on/off independent of the pendant lights, however, I would like to add a power point in the assembly which would allow for seasonal decorations. Wife wanted to add lighted garland for Christmas, who knows what will be up next...

Any pics/info would be great!

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

Oklahoma
I doubt the ceilings between models and years would be that different. With that being said I installed a 12x12 return air vent for the A/C. What I found when I cut into the ceiling was a thin insulation bat and some wires and the rafters.
You could separate the puck light from the pendant light by installing an RF operated 12 volt relay. Use the relay to switch the puck lights and keep the control panel switch for the pendants.

In this fashion the pendant lights would have to be on for you to switch the pucks. The other option would be to run a separate 12 volts to the pucks while utilizing the RF relay. However getting from the control panel through the rafters will be a chore. If the pucks and A/C discharge vents are close enough to the rafter you might be able to drill passage holes in the rafters with an angle drill. It would be a job other than pulling ceiling panels which would entail a lot of work.

If you could run a separate circuit then your power point or outlet would be easy.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

Mississippi
[QUOTE=calewjohnson;22430]I have a 3950, I am curious if anyone has peaked inside the ceiling assembly above the island in the kitchen? I do want to add a switch to turn the puck lights on/off independent of the pendant lights, however, I would like to add a power point in the assembly which would allow for seasonal decorations. Wife wanted to add lighted garland for Christmas, who knows what will be up next...

Any pics/info would be great!

I went with the 2AA battery powered led lights for around the overhead, would like to hard wire it later on but took the easy way for now.
http://www.amazon.com/Operated-RTGS-..._bxgy_hi_img_z
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #4

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I doubt the ceilings between models and years would be that different. With that being said I installed a 12x12 return air vent for the A/C. What I found when I cut into the ceiling was a thin insulation bat and some wires and the rafters.
You could separate the puck light from the pendant light by installing an RF operated 12 volt relay. Use the relay to switch the puck lights and keep the control panel switch for the pendants.

In this fashion the pendant lights would have to be on for you to switch the pucks. The other option would be to run a separate 12 volts to the pucks while utilizing the RF relay. However getting from the control panel through the rafters will be a chore. If the pucks and A/C discharge vents are close enough to the rafter you might be able to drill passage holes in the rafters with an angle drill. It would be a job other than pulling ceiling panels which would entail a lot of work.

If you could run a separate circuit then your power point or outlet would be easy.

You installed an air handler in the dead space, plus the two outboard rectangle handlers? How did you access the area, did you remove the thinly bent wood that makes the sidewall?

Cale

Old 01-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

Oklahoma
I laid out the opening and just sawed it with a scroll saw. I broke the blade on the saw so it would be shorter and less penetrating.

I think I had to do a little wood work but I don't remember. I do remember that they use additional rafters to make the duct channel to the A/C. Basically the larger air handler is beneath the A/C proper.

Photos if you want and if I can find the camera.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

Oklahoma
I found the camera, I can't understand how I can misplace stuff in this small area, must be those senior moments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0421.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1724  
Old 01-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #7

Louisiana
sundancer - Do you find it made a difference with cooling? I remember reading a while back in the "AC... the vent ducts" thread that some people felt the AC was not getting enough air back into the system with just those two small return ducts.

PS - Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Maybe there should be a separate thread about this new return sundancer made.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

Oklahoma
I think I had mentioned the new intake somewhere in the A/C thread but only in passing.

I read the air flow out of the discharge vents before and after. After definitely had an increase in air flow. More air in means more air out so what cold air coming off the A/C penetrated the living space much better.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #9

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I found the camera, I can't understand how I can misplace stuff in this small area, must be those senior moments.
Thanks for the info so far...we have different ceilings, at least with faux wood overhang. You have giving me an idea though. I pulled the two rectangle air handlers down and found the ducts were nearly closed off. I cut some wood pieces, about 1x2, which opened the ducts nicely and enjoyed the higher cooling capacity. Now I am thinking about adding two more rectangular ducts onto the top of the overhang. Will make for a short duct and should double the intake capacity....

Cale

Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Lots of potential with the soffit thing. Speakers, lights and maybe even an A/C discharge vent.