Kenda Tires ? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Question Kenda Tires ?

Has anyone had any experience with Kenda Karrier tires? They make a ST235 85 R16 in an "F" load range. The on-line reviews that I could find were all good, but I'd prefer to hear from anyone who may have experience with them. I posted this in the Westlake tire thread too, but thought afterwards it may be better for a new question.

Thanks,
BT

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:18 AM   #2

Texas
BT,
Our 2013 Denali 330 came with Akuret tires (aka another version of China Bombs), we put 4500 miles on them and they still looked looked good, but I chickened out and changed to a heavier load tire. I was happy with how they looked and how they were wearing but felt better when we upgraded to a higher load bearing tire. There are a lot of stories about tires that blew up on an almost new trailer. The tires I changed to are also made in China but are a higher load rated tire. They are a Carlisle trailer tire that is also made in China but I have had them on my flat bed trailer and have been pleased with them. I do think that all trailer manufacturers tend to install the least expensive, bare minimum piece of equipment available on whatever thing they produce. Cheap tires though can have some really bad consequences. I do think that Thor/Dutchmen/Keystone/"fill in the manufacturer" tend to go with the absolute minimum a lot of parts (tires included). For what its worth I feel a lot better having upgraded to a higher load range.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Kenda is a reputable manufacturer and has been around quite a while. I have never used their trailer tires so I can't answer for that. I do have Kenda tires on a couple of my bicycles though.

My personal favorite for trailer tires in the smaller sizes is Maxxis M8008. I used those on a heavy popup and put well over 30,000 miles on a set with no obvious signs of wear. My Westlakes will age out in another year. If I still have the camper at that point it will get Maxxis.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

British Columbia
Can't speak to Kenda tires, but going up in size/load ranges is never a bad thing, as long as there is enough clearance in the wheel wells.

I went from the stock 235 80 16 load range E tires, to 235 85 16 load range G. The replacement tires I bought are Gladiator, Made in China, but they have the stiffest sidewall I have seen on an ST tire. They are also alot heavier than the Towmax Powerkings that came from the factory.

Gladiator makes tires ranging from the ST, to tires for the 18 wheelers. I have seen several of the courier vans and five ton delivery trucks using Gladiators and these guys are happy with them.

My bent axles wore out the Towmax around 5K, the Gladiators were around 25k when a broken shackle skewed the axle and shreaded two of the Gladiators somewhere in the last 250 miles home from Alaska this past summer.

The load range E tires looked like they were going to peel off the wheels when making sharp turns, the load range G tires have very little sidewall deflection.

If you can do a side by side comparison of the Gladiators and the Kendas, test them for sidewall deflection then go with the tire that has the stiffest sidewall. You will have less tire squirm when towing at speed, which will help in reducing sway.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:14 AM   #5

Iowa
I'll agree with hddecker, when I replaced my Westlake 10 plys my dealer rolled one up beside my new Gladiators and said check this out, he pushed that Westlake down halfway to the ground but the new 14 ply Gladiator was solid as a rock couldn't make it budge hardly at all. Like hddecker says no matter what tire you go with get the stiffest sidewall you can. Makes a world of difference on towing with the weight we carry and peace of mind.
dougs2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #6

California
I had 14 ply American made Goodyears on my Teton, lost everyone. Went to 17.5 tires & no more problems.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #7

Iowa
I'm definitely not against 17.5 tires and wheels but I didn't want to spend the extra cash for the wheels. Evidently those Good Years weren't any good and I'm surprised at that, were they seconds or blemished? Like the Westlake 10plys, they must have been poorly constructed. I've never seen a 10 ply tire as flimsy as the Westlakes, I'm not a tire expert but I own over 200 tires on trucks trailers tractors and implements used on my farms.
dougs2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

California
The Goodyears were brand new tires came as OEM on the Teton in 2003. At the time they were the only 14 ply 16" tires made.
I was a Fleet Manager for 22+ years for a city out here in the desert. We would go through 200 police car tires in 5 months. Doesn't count all the other city vehicles.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #9

Arizona
I pass on any tire made in China. My Michelin XPS Ribs are doing great.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for all the good advice. Having been RVing for 30+ years, I'm well versed in the points that were made. I was mainly inquiring if anyone had used the Kenda tires and if they performed well for them. As far as tires go in general, the only tires that ever blew out on me were Carlisles, lost a few of those back in the 80s. They sure cause some damage when they go.

Thanks Again
BT

Old 10-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Over the years I have had blow outs on just about every brand of tire, including Michelin. About all you can do is your best due diligence, purchase one that hopefully the manufacturer stands by their warranty and if at all possible purchase road hazard coverage.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #12

Michigan
I have the Kenda f-range tires on for 2 season now, huge difference over the stock China bombs. Tested these tires out for almost 7000 miles now,including 100 degree days. I haul a voltage 3950 with two honda atv, or a polaris rzr 1000 utv. Paid under 1000$ for 6 tires. Trailer tows much smoother now. Highly recommended ,side wall is 10 times thicker then those stock China bombs.Overall size is larger by approximately 3/4 in height and width but never any issues.
1BadDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

Nevada
1BadDiesel, go to know, everyone here is always trying to decide which tires to go too...
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
1BadDiesel, go to know, everyone here is always trying to decide which tires to go too...
If people only knew!

I hate to tell you this folks, but EVERY tire manufacturer has some of their products manufactured in China.

The lastest ones that I have run across are Kenda, is building a plant in Huizhou China and Continental, is building a plant in Hefei China.

If you have a mind to you can order Goodyear, Michelin or what ever tires directly from the counterfit manufacturer in China.

I don't pay attention to where the tire is made, but how do the tires I am consdering compare to each other. I will always go with the tire the has the stiffest sidewal and the hardest rubber compound.

For anyone that is adamant that all tires made in China are junk make sure you check your tire sidewall before you purchase your tires. You may just find that the production has been moved to China.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
The dealer replaced all my tires with load range G tires made by Samson. Chinese made, and I didn't have a lot of luck searching them for info last evening. I guess no news could be good news? I'll try searching for reviews/info again today after I get all my "chores" done.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
The dealer replaced all my tires with load range G tires made by Samson. Chinese made, and I didn't have a lot of luck searching them for info last evening. I guess no news could be good news? I'll try searching for reviews/info again today after I get all my "chores" done.
I can't recall when I first heard of Samson tires, I know it goes back a fair time. I remember them from an old tractor and have seen them around occassionaly in recent years.

Here's a link to their US web site, they are into just about every market segment.

Samson | Advance | OTR Tires | Truck Tires | Solid Tires - GTCNA
Old 12-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #17

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
If people only knew!

I hate to tell you this folks, but EVERY tire manufacturer has some of their products manufactured in China.

The lastest ones that I have run across are Kenda, is building a plant in Huizhou China and Continental, is building a plant in Hefei China.

If you have a mind to you can order Goodyear, Michelin or what ever tires directly from the counterfit manufacturer in China.

I don't pay attention to where the tire is made, but how do the tires I am consdering compare to each other. I will always go with the tire the has the stiffest sidewal and the hardest rubber compound.

For anyone that is adamant that all tires made in China are junk make sure you check your tire sidewall before you purchase your tires. You may just find that the production has been moved to China.
So whick tires have the "stiffest sidewal and the hardest rubber compound?" I'm not sure even where to look for that info except for the number of sidewall plies.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:08 AM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post
So whick tires have the "stiffest sidewal and the hardest rubber compound?" I'm not sure even where to look for that info except for the number of sidewall plies.
Much of this is stuff I learned over the years, with several lessons learned the hard way.

First I look at the tire manufacturers web sites, to see what their tires weigh, the heavier the better. ST tires require thicker cords and a larger gauge steel in the belts to provide the stiffnes.

When I get to the point that I'm evaluating a tire I grip it by the bead, then press on the sidewall with my thumbs. If the sidewalls deflect easily I move on the the next tire.

When I find a tire the passes the thumb test, next I do the sit test. I sit on the tire to gage how stiff the sidewall really is. If the tire deflects enough that the tread pinches my butt, I'll look at the next tire. There are ST tires out there that can hold my 200#s and not pinch.

To test the rubber compound push against the tread, if it deflects easily it will be a soft compound. Compare the tread on a winter tire VS a summer tire and you will feel the difference in compounds.

Soft sidewalls with lots of flex and soft rubber cause tire squirm, which causes exessive heat and too much heat can and probably will cause tire failure. A by-product of tire squirm is added trailer sway.

The only job your trailer tire has to do is follow your TV were ever it leads, don't need no fancy treads designs or big deep treads to blaze the trail.