Is gap in fiberglass a standard 3950 'feature' - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

Ontario
Is gap in fiberglass a standard 3950 'feature'

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #2

Texas
I have had a couple of places where a gap has formed, but a nice bead of caulk will close it nicely.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #3

Ontario
I wonder if it was put there because of flex that would otherwise crack the fiberglass.

The plastic molding has flown off - at the moment it has gorilla tape over it - not very elegant.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Maryland
I have applied caulk to that whole area, only to have it all pull away. I had a Mobile Tech out looking at my slide and I inquired, he said that the bead line was not very big, with the amount of weight in that area and the movement required for it to give so it doesn't destroy itself from vibration, the flexing has pulled it apart. Now I have a lot of caulking to redo in that area....

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #5

Nevada
During the last Rain, I had all my slides closed, found the rug wet in the bedroom, found that the area above the slide was in need of some caulking, too cold right now, opened the bedroom slide, no more leaking,
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #6

Ontario
I'm not talking about caulking - it's that vertical cut in the wall at the bottom front of the bedroom slide.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
I'm not talking about caulking - it's that vertical cut in the wall at the bottom front of the bedroom slide.
Sorry I don't see it in the picture you sent. Of course maybe it's just me.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Sorry I don't see it in the picture you sent. Of course maybe it's just me.
I don't see what is being referred to either.......but I just thought it was these ole eyes!!!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #9

Texas
My 3990 does not have that vertical seam under the bedroom slide.
SpeedyWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #10

Ontario
As I mentioned in post #3, the plastic piece has flown off and there is gorilla tape covering the seam at the moment.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #11

Maryland
I walked around this morning to take a look....I have the same piece in the same place... What I find funny though, I only have two stickers, to your three and mine are nowhere near where yours are.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:14 AM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
I walked around this morning to take a look....I have the same piece in the same place... What I find funny though, I only have two stickers, to your three and mine are nowhere near where yours are.
Two of the stickers are factory. The third is from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles to prove that the rig has been inspected and is satisfactory in Ontario.

We bought it in Florida and imported it to Canada.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Two of the stickers are factory. The third is from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles to prove that the rig has been inspected and is satisfactory in Ontario.

We bought it in Florida and imported it to Canada.

Yep, that's Canada. Everyone wants their piece of the action.

Our governments pick and choose how we should spend our money, so we get to put extra meaningless stickers on our stuff.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #14

Ontario
I didn't mind spending the $120 on the sticker. Overall we figure we saved about $20K buying the 3950 in USA. We saved up all our warranty issues and took it back to the selling dealer in Florida the next winter. Didn't cost anything extra as we were going that way anyway.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #15

Arkansas
I am assuming that this gap is intended as an expansion joint of sorts to allow movement from hitch shock transfer without causing stress cracks in the fiberglass. The trim piece would be just a cosmetic cover over the joint. The joint should, however, be sealed with a quality silicone at the proper width-to-depth- ratio to allow movement without shearing. I had a 2005 Potomac fifth wheel that did not have this joint and developed a crack in this area when the coach was just 3 months old after only 4 pulls. It never got any larger after the initial crack, and I kept it sealed to prevent water infiltration. When I traded it for my new 3805 in April, the dealership immediately noticed it and explained it as a stress crack, now dealt with by have the factory expansion joint. Thanks for the heads up on the trim piece coming loose. I'll keep my eye on mine.
SuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
I didn't mind spending the $120 on the sticker. Overall we figure we saved about $20K buying the 3950 in USA. We saved up all our warranty issues and took it back to the selling dealer in Florida the next winter. Didn't cost anything extra as we were going that way anyway.
That is not a bad price to get the inspection done. Who did it for you a dealer or some other source.

The dealers around hear won't give you the time of day if you buy elsewhere. I don't blame you for keeping your money in your own pocket. and the perfect time would have been when our dollar hit $1.40 a few years back. Just sorry I didn't buy more US$. I don't think the deals are quite as good now @ the mid .70s and going lower.

My comment was pointed more towards how many levels of government that stick their noses in our busines, telling me how I need to spend my money and how I choose to live my life.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #17

Ontario
Canadian Tire did the inspection. It was very cursory but they're the official RIV inspector.

Yes, we're feeling the pain on the exchange rate now but when we bought our 3950 in March 2011 the $CDN was at 1.02 $US. I couldn't afford one these days.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Canadian Tire did the inspection. It was very cursory but they're the official RIV inspector.

Yes, we're feeling the pain on the exchange rate now but when we bought our 3950 in March 2011 the $CDN was at 1.02 $US. I couldn't afford one these days.
I think the only thing they really have to certify are the propane and electrical systems.

There is still, a lot of money to be saved in the US, you just have to make sure you do your price comparisons. I live about 90 minutes from the border and with all of the free shipping options that the online retailers have it becomes even better. I can waste a day to run down to Oroville WA and pick my stuff up from a frieght handling company. Last trip paid for my fuel, plus saved me $500C.

Our retailers just don't get the concept of giving us a better deal to keep our money in thier stores. They won't even discount special order purchases, that you pay for in full up front.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
My thoughts on this as mine has the same piece on it. My last rig was a Sunnybrook and I installed a gooseneck adapter to accomodate my in bed fuel tank in my short bed truck - I developed a crack in this exact area after using the gooseneck. Maybe this is a stress relief joint after seeing cracks in other models? Just my two cents - I know most manufacturers of these things don't accpect customer feedback to make design changes, but you never know...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151117 Voltage Gap Trim.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2701  

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote