Impractical Options in Your Toy Hauler - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2015, 02:23 AM   #21

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
I am not trying to imply Dutchmen used any sense here in making to decision to use quartz over granite, but I can tell you that quartz does not have to be sealed periodically whereas granite does...oops...could I have just implied Dutchmen made a good call?
My wife works for a custom home builder and they install granite counters in every home they build.

I ask her if they've ever used quartz? They have installed quartz counters a few times specifically at the buyers request. Which cost more? She said the quartz had cost more, but she thinks it's because of the labor and not the material cost. Only one guy in town handles quartz vs a dozen granite vendors.

The one thing she said that made the most sense about using quartz counters in an RV... quartz counters weigh less than granite because they don't have to be cut as thick.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #22

Michigan
Interesting - didn't know that about quartz. I only thought the real advantage was that it does not require periodic sealing like granite does - thanks for the info!

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #23

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
The one thing she said that made the most sense about using quartz counters in an RV... quartz counters weigh less than granite because they don't have to be cut as thick.
Not that I don't trust my beautiful wife, I know she is always right...
I measured the counters out of curiosity.

The granite counters in my kitchen were 1 inch thick and
the quartz counters on the Voltage are 3/4 of an inch thick.

Relatively speaking the quartz counters should weigh 25% less than granite counters.

Mike & Helen
Old 01-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #24

Florida
You might find this site interesting....

Quartz-v-Granite countertops.

(if a pop-up comes up, hit your escape key to clear it)
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #25

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
You might find this site interesting....
Quartz-v-Granite countertops.
Very interesting... I like my quartz counter tops even more after reading the comparison.

A quote in the article bothered me... "On the other hand, quartz is even heavier than granite." Remember my wife is always right.

I looked for more specific information on the weight and found this...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1113702AAzbMST

What is the weight comparison of quartz vs granite?

Best Answer

density of the quartz =2.65 g/cm3

density of the granite= between 2.63 and 2.75 g /cm3
(depending on the sort of granite)

density = specific weight

Mike & Helen
Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #26

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
................ I only thought the real advantage was that it does not require periodic sealing like granite does - thanks for the info!

Sealing granite is not a big deal. We have 70 sq.ft. of granite in our kitchen at home and it only requires sealing about once a year, and that's for everyday use.

The manufacture recommended only resealing every two years.
DR Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #27

Maryland
Should we seal the Quartz? Found a comparison of countertops at Lowes. Granite has better heat resistant features while Quartz is better in the scratch department. Yet, they say no sealing is required. I wonder if that is for that specific manufacturer...

Check here: Shop Kitchen: Kitchen Countertops at Lowe's

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #28

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Should we seal the Quartz? Found a comparison of countertops at Lowes. Granite has better heat resistant features while Quartz is better in the scratch department. Yet, they say no sealing is required. I wonder if that is for that specific manufacturer...

Check here: Shop Kitchen: Kitchen Countertops at Lowe's

Cale
Quartz does not require sealing. I doesn't have the "open pores" that are found in natural granite.
DR Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #29

Texas
It seems from the replies on this thread everyone values the options differently. I’m going to expand on the question in the OP and list how the options fit into my tailgating / boon docking RV lifestyle.

We went shopping for a Cyclone / Road Warrior to upgrade from our Heartland Torque entry level toy hauler with a certain degree of brand loyalty.

Must have for the new trailer… Garage bath, four door fridge, two couches, three ACs.

Switched to Voltage… On the lot, price, North / South bed, 160 gallons fresh, 80 gallons fuel.

Wife loves… High back heated recliner couches, pendant lights, large pantry, vessel bowl sink, walk / sit in shower.

I love and didn’t have before… Level up, Trailair, ramp patio w/ 3 season wall, load management, LINC, ladder.

Use all the time… Generator, all the TVs with aftermarket satellite, sound bar, awning LED, garage seating / beds, fireplace in cool weather, outside shower.

Never use (impractical?)… wifi ranger, safe, tank heaters, sink covers, ramp storage, back up camera.

Rarely use… Max Air Fan, vacuum, convection microwave, couch LEDs, garage stereo w/ outside control, Blue-ray, garage & den tables, night shades.

Mike & Helen
Old 01-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #30

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
It seems from the replies on this thread everyone values the options differently. I’m going to expand on the question in the OP and list how the options fit into my tailgating / boon docking RV lifestyle.

We went shopping for a Cyclone / Road Warrior to upgrade from our Heartland Torque entry level toy hauler with a certain degree of brand loyalty.

Must have for the new trailer… Garage bath, four door fridge, two couches, three ACs.

Switched to Voltage… On the lot, price, North / South bed, 160 gallons fresh, 80 gallons fuel.

Wife loves… High back heated recliner couches, pendant lights, large pantry, vessel bowl sink, walk / sit in shower.

I love and didn’t have before… Level up, Trailair, ramp patio w/ 3 season wall, load management, LINC, ladder.

Use all the time… Generator, all the TVs with aftermarket satellite, sound bar, awning LED, garage seating / beds, fireplace in cool weather, outside shower.

Never use (impractical?)… wifi ranger, safe, tank heaters, sink covers, ramp storage, back up camera.

Rarely use… Max Air Fan, vacuum, convection microwave, couch LEDs, garage stereo w/ outside control, Blue-ray, garage & den tables, night shades.
Funny, everything you said was the same for us, though we were coming from a bunkhouse.

I use the tail storage for Traeger pellets. And we have recently started baking in the microwave, pretty handy. Have not used the oven in quite some time. The load management is awesome, as we find ourselves in 30 amp most of the time. I also love that the enviro system is smart enough to cycle through all three ACs and can run two at once, thanks to the load management system.

What is LINC? Is that the ipad looking thing? I need to work on antenna placement for the remote I have for the slides and what not, it seems somewhat finicky...I do like that I can sit in the truck and adjust the height of the landing gear when hooking up.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #31

Texas
Cale,

I "misplaced" my LINC remote and have to use the touchscreen on the wall to operate my slides. I'm hoping it will show up before I (probably won't) spend the $300 to replace.

I don't have a remote for my Level up, and don't think the dealer forgot to give it to me. Lippert didn't introduced the remote until July 2013, just a few months before my build date.

It can be added on, but I've mastered the auto re-hitch feature, so I'm always backing down on a pinbox that's set at the right height.

Mike & Helen
Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #32

Michigan
Believe it or not, after using the Voltage an entire season I have yet to use the auto re-hitch feature...seems I have forgotten it was there!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #33

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I saw a Voltage boon-docking out off of Plomosa road at about mile marker 2 on the south side of the road. Was that you. We were camped about a mile farther down towards Bouse.
If you were talking about Hi Jolly BLM grounds that was me had a great time.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #34

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
...I do like that I can sit in the truck and adjust the height of the landing gear when hooking up.

Cale
How do you do that? Am I missing a remote? I got 8 remotes with mine and none are for the level up system.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #35

Nevada
I wish there was a TV in the bathroom. Four just isn't enough.

Honestly, sometimes I'm embarrassed by having one of the nicest trailer at the track. I have an old bike though, so f*ck it. And auto level is the bomb.

Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote