heat - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2014, 04:29 AM   #1

Pennsylvania
heat

When we put the heat on the ac comes on also. This unit is brand new. What gives? Tia

roadglide3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:35 AM   #2

South Carolina
Don't know what make/model you have. However, in the last 20 years, automobiles have run both at the same time. Set temp at say, 73 degrees, and both will run as needed. Something about AC doing the dehumidifying work. Your camper may or may not be the same. Ours is not, I.e. AC is AC, and heat is another thing altogether. Get out your owner's manual, or at least let us know the make, year and model. Not much to go on until you do.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:38 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Oops my bad. It's a 2014 3005 with dual ac units.
roadglide3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #4

Nova Scotia
I don't have a toy hauler but on my unit if you put the fan on AUTO first, then turn on your a/c it runs the heater and shuts off the a/c fan. I think the a/c fan runs to help circulate the heat better.
caper_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #5

Michigan
Does your unit have "heat pumps". Some units have an electric heat grid in the AC unit as suplemental heat. I know people with Motor Homes with this option and others who have had it installed - they use the electric for heat when hooked up in campgrounds instead of their propane heat.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide3 View Post
When we put the heat on the ac comes on also. This unit is brand new. What gives? Tia
By this time I have learned what your coach is. Next question. What do you have for a thermostat? Is it a Dometic "Comfort Control Center" thermostat or some other type and/or brand.

If you do happen to have a Dometic Comfort Control Center thermostat, did you have it in heat mode, auto mode, or cool mode? It makes a difference. For example, if it's in "heat" mode it should not turn on the a/c at the same time. If in "cool" mode it should not turn on the furnace. Although, I have learned, at times, that in "auto" mode my a/c unit has come on at the same time that my furnace is on. It has not happened in our Maine climate. When I'm in Florida it has occurred. I cannot recall whether just the fan of the a/c comes on or the condenser, too.

Obviously, when the air came on when I had the furnace on, I too, was baffled. I called my RV mobile tech in when this happened. He had a long explanation of why both will come on at the same time. He felt that I needed to keep it in "auto" mode at all times when I'm in their neck of the woods (Florida). I wish I could give you the explanation why, I can't. Either, your dealer tech (not salesman) or an RV tech can explain why. Only, if they're familiar with the Dometic "Comfort Control Center".

Hope, some of this helps. I'm sure there are forum members that will chime in that can give you a better explanation then I. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful owners on this forum.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
A/C units help act as dehumidifiers. In all modern cars that I am aware of, when you turn the defroster on the A/C compressor comes on too to help pull the moisture out of the air can clear fogged windows quickly.

Heat pumps are a totally different animal. They are a compressor that can run in either heat or cooling mode (simplified explanation).

Then there are heat strips installed in A/C units. I had that on my Coleman popup, it took the chill off in the mornings down to about 45°F, below that we needed supplemental heat or the furnace.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

Oklahoma
I had the same thing happen to me on my 3905. With the thermostat set to 'heat', the A/C would also run and the trailer would not get warm. This was NOT the way it is supposed to work. I tryed the 'auto' setting, cycling the heater, resetting the heat extremely high, and even completely powering down the trailer to reset everything. Nothing worked. Being it was in the 30's outside, I just shut off the breakers to the A/C unit, and the trailer warmed up nicely, and the heater cycled like it was supposed to for the rest of the weekend.

Took it in to the dealer, and they said that I must have had something set wrong. They 'hard' reset the thermostat, and couldn't duplicate the problem. It has never happened again, and I am wondering if a 'hard' reset of the thermostat is done by replacing it.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
By this time I have learned what your coach is. Next question. What do you have for a thermostat? Is it a Dometic "Comfort Control Center" thermostat or some other type and/or brand.

If you do happen to have a Dometic Comfort Control Center thermostat, did you have it in heat mode, auto mode, or cool mode? It makes a difference. For example, if it's in "heat" mode it should not turn on the a/c at the same time. If in "cool" mode it should not turn on the furnace. Although, I have learned, at times, that in "auto" mode my a/c unit has come on at the same time that my furnace is on. It has not happened in our Maine climate. When I'm in Florida it has occurred. I cannot recall whether just the fan of the a/c comes on or the condenser, too.

Obviously, when the air came on when I had the furnace on, I too, was baffled. I called my RV mobile tech in when this happened. He had a long explanation of why both will come on at the same time. He felt that I needed to keep it in "auto" mode at all times when I'm in their neck of the woods (Florida). I wish I could give you the explanation why, I can't. Either, your dealer tech (not salesman) or an RV tech can explain why. Only, if they're familiar with the Dometic "Comfort Control Center".

Hope, some of this helps. I'm sure there are forum members that will chime in that can give you a better explanation then I. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful owners on this forum.
On my PDI they went over this operation with us. Yes in auto mode both would come on. Guess my PDI guy knew quite a bit as things that have come up here on the forum he had told us about.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 AM   #10

Maryland
My 3005 did the same thing, all it is is a setting on the thermostat. Hit the button and turn it to fan, make sure you turn it to auto not hi or low it must be on auto. Then turn it to heat and the heat should be the only thing on. The dealer had to show me because they didn't explain it to me when I picked it up. I really hate the thermostat they used.

hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote