heard bad things about voltage - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #21

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post
Voltage rep said approx $800 is cost... Then freight and install responsibilities. Sales rep said closer to $1000
I tried to purchase these from both Dutchmen and Lippert (manufacturer) and neither would sell them. Lippert stated at the time that they were not prepared to sell them direct due to a lack of packaging capabilities (for shipping) and the fact that they had not created or had plans to create installation instructions for these "3 season doors".

If this has changed, that's great because I would buy them. I've seen a couple of custom options built by screen door companies that I have been considering.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #22

Oklahoma
they had not created or had plans to create installation instructions for these "3 season doors".

Now that's a scary thought! Do the fine Dutchman installers just wing it, like most of their installs?

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #23

Texas
The Dutchmen installers are professionals that don't need instructions on how to install something the correct way.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #24

Oklahoma
I stand corrected then, my bad
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #25

Colorado
Whew...gettin' kinda deep here!! Shouldn't have made sundancer cry...man, tough forum!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:52 AM   #26

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
The Dutchmen installers are professionals that don't need instructions on how to install something the correct way.
Ya, right.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:09 AM   #27

Alberta
Hey guys, First post and I'm in the same boat as the OP.
Voltage, Cyclone and Road Warrior is the question.

Does Voltage offer hydraulic jacks and hydraulic slide outs or are they still using the Shwintech slide out system that have caused so many issues?

Does Voltage use leaf springs on Lippert axlesor Dexter axles?

Do you have to be plugged in to 110 or have the generator running to listen to the stereo or is it 12v and can be ran off the battery?

Do they use OSB or Marine plywood for the flooring in the garage?

Does Voltage offer an ice machine in the fridge?

Do they have a wall that separates the garage from the rest of the camper?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but we are not traveling with ours we are getting the dealer to deliver it on site and park it as we don't want to buy a massive truck so quality is most important. We are even willing to lose some options on the floors plans just to make sure we dont have to hire a truck to come bring the TH back every year for replacement parts.

I have been in several Cyclones and I do like them but I need to go down south to find a Voltage and have a look in person.
300winmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:18 AM   #28

Nevada
Uh, to each their own, but I thought the point of having a trailer was so you could move it around and go to different places easily.

To answer some of your questions, I'll be referring to my 2012, so there may be some changes. Mine has a 6-point all hydro leveling system and the Shwintech slides. I think all Voltages have a garage. My two axel has Lippert axles under leaf springs. The stereo in the garage is 12vdc, the one in the living area is a 110vac home surround sound sound system. You could get an inverter to power whatever you want with batteries, but you'll need a battery bank that could support it.

As far as quality goes, I think mine is pretty good. Better than what is on the lots now, but every trailer will have issues of some sort, some big some small.
Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #29

Colorado
Whew, a lot of questions!

We looked at a lot of Toyhaulers and the Voltage Epic was the best for what we wanted. An RV that gave us the most "creature comforts"...like being at home.

And our 2014 Voltage Epic 3800 does just that!

My opnion,

Pirate
Old 08-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #30

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
Hey guys, First post and I'm in the same boat as the OP.
Voltage, Cyclone and Road Warrior is the question.

Does Voltage offer hydraulic jacks and hydraulic slide outs or are they still using the Shwintech slide out system that have caused so many issues?

Does Voltage use leaf springs on Lippert axlesor Dexter axles?

Do you have to be plugged in to 110 or have the generator running to listen to the stereo or is it 12v and can be ran off the battery?

Do they use OSB or Marine plywood for the flooring in the garage?

Does Voltage offer an ice machine in the fridge?

Do they have a wall that separates the garage from the rest of the camper?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but we are not traveling with ours we are getting the dealer to deliver it on site and park it as we don't want to buy a massive truck so quality is most important. We are even willing to lose some options on the floors plans just to make sure we dont have to hire a truck to come bring the TH back every year for replacement parts.

I have been in several Cyclones and I do like them but I need to go down south to find a Voltage and have a look in person.
I know there has been a big fuss about the slides and I can only offer my short experience. I have had my unit out 6 times since I bought it in June and have had zero issues with the slides

Yes all the Voltages have a wall that separates the garage from the living area, the access is what will change between the models. Determine if you want a second bathroom is another thing you will need to think about.

If you are trying to find the best brand and model in order for you to never have to take it to a dealer for warranty repair, well that is rolling the dice. I have been on about every forum you can think of and have never found a manufactorer that makes that perfect RV. Just not out there. on any particular make and model you will find some of more issues than others. I have found it necesssary to be extremely handy though. (to fix some of the minor stuff). So if you don't have the rig to pull it I would definitely look in to ways to get your RV to a dealer, I am sure at some point you will need to do that.

I looked at the same models you are considering, one of the deal breakers for us was having the bed as a slide out, really cut into the room and especially main bathroom access.

My suggestion is just find a layout you like and can live with, (all the manufactors will have similar layouts). Then start getting to the smaller stuff, you will find that the smaller stuff will be the things that will make up your mind. Just my opinioin

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #31

Alberta
Thanks for the replies guys!

Brandt51, Yes the point of having a trailer is to be able to move it, we just aren't going to move it as much as other people. Spend a year here and a year or two there. You get the idea.

Hazerdous,
I completely agree with you about the floors plans. We have a list of needs but it seems everybody has them as an option. Like king bed, second bathroom and such. Its the little things (ice machine)you suggested that make the difference so we will just have to see them all first because that just might make up our minds for us.
300winmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #32

North Carolina
I'll offer my limited but hopefully insightful opinion. All RV style trailers (toy haulers) are rolling POS's. You can't take a mobile home on wheels and tow it 70 mph and expect it to be perfect.

After having 4 trailers in the last 2 years, I have to say that IMO, the Voltage trailer is just a better POS than the rest. We've had our for about 8 months and have towed it about 5000-6000 miles already. We have had virtually zero problems (the ones we have had have been minor, minor problems) We are getting ready to have the slide mechanism replaced but not because it doesn't work, just because it had a hiccup and the dealer said they wanted to replace it.

I can tell you from previous experience there are far more POS's out there than the Voltage trailer. I looked pretty hard this last time and narrowed it down to the Voltage or the Cyclone.

All over, I'm pleased and if I had to recommend a trailer to a friend, I'd still recommend my Voltage.

Good luck with your choice but expect you're going to have something silly to repair/fix.

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:05 AM   #33

Colorado
I totally agree Hazerdous! And if you don't have the vehicle to pull what you want...get it!! No point in settling for less RV that you really want. And no point in being miserable trying to pull the RV you want with a truck that ain't up to it!!

I've got a 2011 Silverado crew cab dually Duramax. Spent the money on a Highway Products aluminum tool bed so the RZR will fit in the back and I carry what I think I might need. Sure has come in handy!!

There are a few RV manufacturers that are new to the market and do 100% custom builds. I would think they have very few problems. But if you ain't a 1%er...you can't afford that game!

Pirate