Heads up on tire blow out - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #1

Maryland
Heads up on tire blow out

This past weekend we went up in Pa camping. On our way up the road we had a china bomb blow out, I knew it would happen eventually but the wife was totally against getting new tires when these " looked fine ". I changed the tire and off we went, no big deal right, wrong. When we got to the campground and was setting up I realized we had a major problem when the back part of the slide wouldn't go out. Apparently when the tire blow it ripped out about 12ft of the wiring harness to the slide motor. Needless to say we spent the weekend having to climb across the couch to get from one side to the other of the camper. The idiots ran the wires directly above the drivers side rear tire and that is the one that blew. I plan on looking into putting steel trailer fenders up in there to help deflect blowout stuff from hitting important stuff. I haven't measured to make sure it will work but by the eyeball it should. Have a set of Sailun 14ply on there way for replacements for this set of bombs. Moral of the story, check and see what might get damaged when they go booom.

hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 AM   #2

Wyoming
Sorry to hear of your troubles... but if the only collateral damage was losing the wire harness, I'd say you got lucky. I've seen tire blowouts take out entire fenders, siding, flooring, and anything else within a 6' vicinity above & behind said tire... including water heaters, furnaces, etc, depending on their location on various rigs.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #3

Florida
These new Goodyear tires I bought last week are supposed to be the same size as the ones I took off (better load and speed ratings) but they are very different in size! the new tires are a bit taller (about .75" and WIDER and are made in the USA. I am wondering if they are labled then they change the sizes...
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #4

ATC is right.. you were lucky. My first China bomb blowout took out the fender, steps, and half the rear quarter panel. Major damage not to mention it wrecked the rim before I got it stopped. I upgraded tires to a "better" known brand and still another blowout. It took out the other side fender and quarter panel. Thank goodness no wiring was involved in either blowout. I now run "J" rated tires.. I feel much more comfortable now with them. You were lucky in the sense of the damage amount.
Welcome to the world of inferior tires for RV's// Buy you better-rated tires and name brand and you will ride more comfortable knowing your tires won't explode. Happy Camping......
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #5

Maryland
I know it could have been worst but it made me start to think about what else major could have been damaged, plumbing, gas lines, ect. The rear side panel has a little damage but a little hammer and dolly work will make short work of that. Rim is perfectly fine, I was lucky and was able to stop and pull into an abandon gas station quickly to have a safe place to change the tire. Also I was only doing about 55 at the time so that helped I am sure.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #6

Ontario
ST tires are generally rated at 65mph. Good that you were doing 55. Many people are just asking for blowouts by going too fast.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Tennessee
Did you make your wife change the tire? I would have.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilbilydavid View Post
This past weekend we went up in Pa camping. On our way up the road we had a china bomb blow out . . . the back part of the slide wouldn't go out. Apparently when the tire blow it ripped out about 12ft of the wiring harness to the slide motor . . . Have a set of Sailun 14ply on there way for replacements for this set of bombs.
Sorry to hear about the damage.

Were these the original 10-ply, E-rated, OEM tires? Westlakes?

The Sailuns are a great choice. I've yet to hear of any Sailuns failing outside of flats and road hazard damage.
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #9

Maryland
Yes they are the original Westlakes 10ply . The wife didn't change the tire but I did make her get out of the ac'ed truck and stand there and watch and hand me tools. She feels bad but what can you do, stuff happens. I think the remaining Westlakes will work good on the front of my old John Deere tractor, it needs some new shoes'
Old 09-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
ATC is right.. you were lucky. My first China bomb blowout took out the fender, steps, and half the rear quarter panel. Major damage not to mention it wrecked the rim before I got it stopped. I upgraded tires to a "better" known brand and still another blowout. It took out the other side fender and quarter panel. Thank goodness no wiring was involved in either blowout. I now run "J" rated tires.. I feel much more comfortable now with them. You were lucky in the sense of the damage amount.
Welcome to the world of inferior tires for RV's// Buy you better-rated tires and name brand and you will ride more comfortable knowing your tires won't explode. Happy Camping......
What are your J rated tires? How many ply ? What size? On stock rims ? Max load per Tire?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #11

Florida
I have three 225-75/R15's you can have.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Gee, what happened to the 4th?
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:25 AM   #13

SCOTT... my J rated tires are 225 75 17.5 and not on stock rims. I had to purchase new rims to make them fit. I do not think they make a smaller J rated tire than 17.5 but they sure do the job. I don't remember the load rating exactly in pounds per tire but they are near 6000 per tire with 18 plies. They are the brand of Continental tires. Well worth the money without worry.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:16 AM   #14

Michigan
why did you not screw it out manually?
Pinshootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottxpc View Post
What are your J rated tires? How many ply ? What size? On stock rims ? Max load per Tire?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
4,805 pounds per tire. HTL2 Eco Plus
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
Gee, what happened to the 4th?
Pulling them all off after this issue and replacing the rest of them this week. they have LESS than 1000 miles on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	4422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	4423  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #17

Alabama
Tire blowouts

I have Westlake ST's on my Voltage. Bought it this past June. have been considering Tires as well. I have a buddy who just replaced his tires with SAMSOM Tires. Not sure if spelled correctly. I helped him put the wheels back on his Trailer. All of the reviews are Fantastic. They are 10 ply I believe and made to Tractor Trailer specs.
Total price mounted and balanced were 740 which isn't all that bad.
Schuffyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #18

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuffyman View Post
I have Westlake ST's on my Voltage. Bought it this past June. have been considering Tires as well. I have a buddy who just replaced his tires with SAMSOM Tires. Not sure if spelled correctly. I helped him put the wheels back on his Trailer. All of the reviews are Fantastic. They are 10 ply I believe and made to Tractor Trailer specs.
Total price mounted and balanced were 740 which isn't all that bad.
235/80/16 E-rated 10-ply Westlakes came OEM on our Voltage, too. We replaced them with G-rated tires a few months after purchase. E-rated tires, especially on heavier toy haulers, regardless of brand, have a tendency to eventually self-destruct.

If you really want a substantial increase in strength and reliability, I'd jump up to an "all-steel", G-rated, 14-ply tire. One of the most popular, highly rated, and reasonably priced (online) is the Sailun. They typically sell online for $150-$175. The E-rated Westlakes weigh approx. 37 lbs. The G-rated Sailuns weight approx. 60 lbs. Huge difference!

FWIW, we purchased four Hartland 235/85/16 "all-steel" (steel sidewalls) G-rated 14-ply tires (made by Gladiator) from Discount Tire for $675, mounted and balanced. They're "N" speed rated (87 mph)--one of the highest speed rated G-rated tires I've found. Originally they wanted $850, but they price-matched a set of Sailuns I found online. These Hartlands are very similar to the Sailuns and also weigh 60 lbs. Got over 12k on them with no issues.
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post

Make that TWO. I was going to change them when I got to my destination but, on the way there, one more blew out! Going to file another complaint with the NHTSB concerning these safety hazards. Fortunately, no damage!

Had to pull off the interstate just after the Florida Turnpike exit (going North) , found a really nice local shop and they mounted and balanced the tires, changed them off the vehicle and was on my merry way. Will add a picture later.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles... but if the only collateral damage was losing the wire harness, I'd say you got lucky. I've seen tire blowouts take out entire fenders, siding, flooring, and anything else within a 6' vicinity above & behind said tire... including water heaters, furnaces, etc, depending on their location on various rigs.
Yea back when I had my Teton with American made Goodyear tires, one of the five failures with the Goodyears did $4,400 worth of damage.
Once I went to 17.5" Hankook tires & wheels I never had another tire failure. Once I bought my Voltage I put those used 17.5 tires & wheels from the Teton on it. Sold the Teton with the Westlake tires on it.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote