Heads up on tire blow out - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #41

Maryland
I put the Saluin tires G rated on my factory rims and you should always run trailer tires at the max or close to their max pressure so I run 110psi in the ones I have. I will tell you that it definitely made a towing difference, way less resistance going down the road.

hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:52 AM   #42

Colorado
I too am now ruining the 235/85R16 G.
Will be leaving tomorrow for my sons Air Force graduations next week. Did want to chance running on the WL tires anymore. Interested in seeing how these tires roll down the road.

bkuuz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:03 PM   #43

California
China Bombs strike again

Left CO heading to Cali and had one kick the tread like a recap. Luckily, VERY LUCKILY, we caught it when we went made a fuel stop before it took anything out. Must have kick the tread coming in to town. Found a Les Schwab 2 blocks away and put on 4 new 14ply Sailun's.

Something has got to change. These manufactures and dealers need to be held responsible and get these POS off the road before people start getting killed. I really don't understand why something isn't being done, no class-action law suit, nothing. All you need to do is spend 2mins on the internet searching Westlake Tires and there's literally hundreds of posts about these going to crap.

rtupen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #44

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtupen View Post
Left CO heading to Cali and had one kick the tread like a recap. Luckily, VERY LUCKILY, we caught it when we went made a fuel stop before it took anything out. Must have kick the tread coming in to town. Found a Les Schwab 2 blocks away and put on 4 new 14ply Sailun's.

Something has got to change. These manufactures and dealers need to be held responsible and get these POS off the road before people start getting killed. I really don't understand why something isn't being done, no class-action law suit, nothing. All you need to do is spend 2mins on the internet searching Westlake Tires and there's literally hundreds of posts about these going to crap.

I filed an official complaint against them with the federal highway safety board, I got a letter from them telling me that they would keep an eye on them... fat chance! I agree with you about the china bombs by the way. I lost two before I had a chance to change them all.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #45

Ontario
I agree that OEM tires are generally c*** but I ran my factory tires for almost 20,000km in two years and they were worn out. Replaced with Bridgestone R250s 5 years ago.

Having spent lots of time on the highways I've seen lots of overloaded rigs being towed by 3/4 tons on the spring bump stops with the trailer still in a very nose high attitude passing me at 85mph. I couldn't comment on tire inflation because they whip past so fast. I wonder how many of these clowns are complaining about lousy tires?

I was helping a friend by towing his 5th down to Florida a couple of weeks ago. One of his Goodyear G614s lost the tread - took out the floor of his slide. You're not going to hear a complaint though - those 4 tires were 14 years old! He doesn't intend to move his rig once it's planted so he didn't want to buy new tires to get it to its new home.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #46

Louisiana
I mentioned to a dealer the other day that I did not care for the Westlake tires on a new unit. I had already told him I was several years out from an actual purchase at retirement. He claimed that RVIA is currently looking into tire standards and such so maybe just maybe some changes are coming.
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #47

California
Doing my part.....

I just submitted a complaint with NHSTB.
rtupen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #48
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
I mentioned to a dealer the other day that I did not care for the Westlake tires on a new unit. I had already told him I was several years out from an actual purchase at retirement. He claimed that RVIA is currently looking into tire standards and such so maybe just maybe some changes are coming.
RVIA is an voluntary standard...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #49

Illinois
Just saying that I had 12,000 miles on my Wesstlake's on my Voltage 3990 and they still looked good when I sold the unit a couple weeks ago. However, I never pull over 62 mph and check heat on the tires every stop (3 or 4 hours). I'm certainly not recommending them, and in fact having Goodyear Endurance installed on the new RV. I suspect a lot of the tire problems on all brands are due to people not checking bearings, grease tire pressure and temperature, and then go 75 miles an hour pulling an overloaded 21,000 trailer with a SRW truck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #50

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
i suspect a lot of the tire problems on all brands are due to people not checking bearings, grease tire pressure and temperature, and then go 75 miles an hour pulling an overloaded 21,000 trailer with a srw truck.
Rusty
^^^ this

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote