Has anyone had a leak in their Voltage? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 02:09 AM   #1

Louisiana
Has anyone had a leak in their Voltage?

As I type this, I'm almost having a panic attack because my usually garaged Voltage is sitting out in the rain. I have a complex that *ALL* campers either leak or will leak. I had to get rid of my two previous trailers because of bad leaks, so when I bought this one it went straight from the lot to its home in an enclosed garage. I was so certain that I did everything I could to keep the roof sealed, the slide aligned and the windows water tight. Someone please ease my mind and tell me they have never heard on a voltage leaking.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #2

Mississippi
I put slide out toppers on mine as soon as I bought it, but no leaks the year I have owned mine. I too had leaks on my previous brand toyhauler where it actually delaminated the walls in toyhauler section and roof around vent!

lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
As I type this, I'm almost having a panic attack because my usually garaged Voltage is sitting out in the rain. I have a complex that *ALL* campers either leak or will leak. I had to get rid of my two previous trailers because of bad leaks, so when I bought this one it went straight from the lot to its home in an enclosed garage. I was so certain that I did everything I could to keep the roof sealed, the slide aligned and the windows water tight. Someone please ease my mind and tell me they have never heard on a voltage leaking.
In a year and a half with 11 months of it in NC it seems our Voltage has seen more rain and snow than sun. Six months ago was the real soak test. It rained hard for three continuos days. Only problem was a small aluminum vent in garage leaked-i pulled it and sealed it correctly and no more leak. The other leak was in the rear bath window. Leaked since new-finally got the correct window after recieving two from Keystone that were wrong ones. They'll be going into horse trailer LQ since keystone doesnt want them back. I'll soon be able to remove the bag from the top side of bathroom window. Concern is really the slides, Dutchman is doing a piss poor job of sealing them and if water gets in it can cause swelling of the OSB and cause serious issues as others here have reported.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:32 AM   #4

Colorado
I posted a while (year or so) ago on this. We do not have a Voltage but a Kodiak 240BHSL. We were camped in San Diego for a month and it rained so hard for so many days I thought we may have to start building an ark!
I was happy to report not a drop made it into any of the living or storage spaces.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 AM   #5

Louisiana
Some good news, some bad. About what I expected. I guess I can only hope that I finally got a good one (knocking on wood).
Old 09-19-2014, 03:40 AM   #6

Nevada
Quote:
Some good news, some bad. About what I expected. I guess I can only hope that I finally got a good one (knocking on wood).
Don't knock to hard it will break it.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #7

Texas
I had water leaking in my garage once. I thought it was coming from one of the windows. After some investigation with a hose, I found the caulking was coming out from around the vent above the window in the garage. Once I re-caulked, it was fine.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #8

Tennessee
No leaks here... for now anyway
Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #9

Nevada
Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but yes they do come with leaks. Dead center of the trailer. Took it back to the dealer, and they found that the manufacturer had stripped out the bolts that mount the center AC. Therefore, it didn't seal tight to the roof. Dealer fixed that problem. Now they are addressing the belly in the ceiling. We have been camping since they fixed the AC leak. No leaks so far.
BnTinNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

Arizona
No leaks on my Voltage.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #11

California
Leaks how can it leak when were are in a drought here in California.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #12

Virginia
Small leak, trim peice top to bottom front cap molding up near the front gutter. It was not sealed. Filled with silicone and all is well.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #13

Wyoming
Just curious...What do you do when you're using your rig? Do you only camp where it is sunny?
My trailer is out in the rain all year round. I do inspections twice a year and keep up on the maintenance. That's all you need to do.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Just curious...What do you do when you're using your rig? Do you only camp where it is sunny?
My trailer is out in the rain all year round. I do inspections twice a year and keep up on the maintenance. That's all you need to do.
Only camp when it is sunny and between 48 and 68 degrees F with light breezes.

We have a barn and a shelter (as soon as I get done roofing it) to store the camper under. I do watch things very closely anytime we are in heavy weather for leaks. Mine is a wood frame and leaks are death to that style of camper, not to mention the posibility of mold and mildew. I live in the very humid deep south and you can get mildew just by not moving fast enough.

However no leaks on mine, unless you count the crappy AC install, mine is a sidewall mount and they had the drip pan put in wrong.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #15

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Yes exactly. If the forecast calls for a high chance of rain, we cancel. It's no fun camping in the rain anyway.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinecure View Post
yes exactly. If the forecast calls for a high chance of rain, we cancel. It's no fun camping in the rain anyway.

really????
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Yes exactly. If the forecast calls for a high chance of rain, we cancel. It's no fun camping in the rain anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
really????
Yup

We watch the forecast and if the weekend is going to be a total washout we probably won't go depending on the circumstances. We cut our last trip short by a day and half because of incoming heavy rain. If it is a dedicated trip to see a specific sight we may or may not depending on a variety of factors. Setting up and taking down in the rain is a PITA and if we are just camping I agree with Nana & Poppy it is no fun.

Light showers are a different situation, but we don't seem to see much of that around here anymore.

Aaron
Old 09-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #18

New York
We camp rain or not.....our idea of camping is being with friends...so it just does not matter if the sun is out or it is pouring buckets!!!

This past week - our group camped in cold autumn weather - Thursday night it dropped to 26F and temps on Friday reached maybe 45-50F......now remember it is still September in New York.....Friday afternoon it rained, but we had a fire going and canopies to be under....we all had a good time!''Remember any day camping is better than any day working"!!!!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #19
Site Team

North Carolina
Ooops... I miss quoted.

If we are camping with a group the weather will play less into it. But that is extremely rare for us to be camping like that. Our schedules are pretty hectic and varied. We haven't group camped in 6-7 years.

Aaron
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #20

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
really????
Really!!! We usually camp at a campground about 30 minutes from home and in 8 years have only taken 2-day weekend trips (with the occasional 3-day weekend thrown in). I have two kids, a 10 yo and a 3 yo. It's no fun for us or them to be camping in the rain. Can't ride bikes, can't walk trails, can't feed the ducks and squirrels.