Great Tires - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Indiana
Great Tires

When we purchased our 2015 Voltage 3970 last year, I instantly replaced the tires. It was a bit PRICEY but with us being full-time I wanted no tire issues. We purchased Goodyear Endurance Tires. I am so happy with them. The tire pressures have rarely fluctuated more than a pound or two PSI.

This winter we house sat for my in-laws while we finish our last year of teaching before hitting the road REALLY FULL-TIME. We are moving back into the Fifth wheel and ready to take it on our first road trip of the spring. I just went out to check the tires and fill them before the trip. GUESS WHAT? After a horrendously cold winter, sitting outside in 60 below temps, ALL 6 tires were within a couple of pounds of where I set them.

NO CHINA BOMBS for me.

In my bumper pull, I never invested in great tires until I had 3 blow outs on two separate trips. I STRONGLY ADVISE PAYING THE EXTRA CASH FOR GOOD TIRES!
We are pumped and ready to hit the road again.

Rhoadzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #2

Arizona
It's a great tire only because it didn't loose air while sitting? Take some long trips and let us know in a few years if they are still great tires. To me, my Michelin XPS ribs are a great tire because they also don't loose air and I haven't had a single tire issue in 5 years of long distance trips and they're wearing well.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

Indiana
Come on! That is Not the ONLY reason. But, it is a great sign. I have taken multiple long distant trips through out the past 12 months I have had them and they have been reliable. The CHINA BOMBS I had were very inconsistent in air loss. It was a constant battle to keep them at the proper air pressure. I just think that is a good sign. This is a second set I have owned, although it is the first set on this unit. I have a great history of several thousand miles on Goodyear Endurance tires.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

Florida
see item number 5!

5 Simple RV Motorhome Modifications For Full-Time RVing
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #5

Illinois
I had Westlake's on my 3990 for 3 years, towing 15,000 miles. Rarely added air (checked regularly). When I sold it last year, tires looked great with even tire wear (hardly any). While certainly not defending Westlakes or "China Bombs", I firmly believe that many tire failures are due to improper inflation, suspension/alignment issues, improper load, and lastly, towing way too fast. Case in point, at a rest area complimenting another brand new toyhauler on his way to Florida. I pulled out a couple of minutes ahead of him, travelling at my usual 65 mph. A few miles down the road he blows by me doing at least 75. Minutes later, I pass him while he's on the shoulder with 2 blowouts! Bottom line, most disasters are usually a combination of several small issues, not a single failure. For what it's worth, my new RV has Goodyear's. Just my opinion.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I had Westlake's on my 3990 for 3 years, towing 15,000 miles. Rarely added air (checked regularly). When I sold it last year, tires looked great with even tire wear (hardly any). While certainly not defending Westlakes or "China Bombs", I firmly believe that many tire failures are due to improper inflation, suspension/alignment issues, improper load, and lastly, towing way too fast. Case in point, at a rest area complimenting another brand new toyhauler on his way to Florida. I pulled out a couple of minutes ahead of him, travelling at my usual 65 mph. A few miles down the road he blows by me doing at least 75. Minutes later, I pass him while he's on the shoulder with 2 blowouts! Bottom line, most disasters are usually a combination of several small issues, not a single failure. For what it's worth, my new RV has Goodyear's. Just my opinion.
Rusty
Mine blew out at 45 heading north when the hurricane was coming. I maintain tires well and there was no reason other than junk tires. it was my second blowout. If you read that article I posted, the last thing they said was change the tires! For a few hundred bucks, why take the chance?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #7

Indiana
I maintained my "China Bombs" religiously. I never travel about 65mph. It made no difference. I agree many people do not even check the air in their tires and that may be the causes of catastrophic failure. I also do the same things with my tow vehicle. I have too much riding on my tires to not try to prevent or at least reduce the chance of failures.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoadzie View Post
I maintained my "China Bombs" religiously. I never travel about 65mph. It made no difference. I agree many people do not even check the air in their tires and that may be the causes of catastrophic failure. I also do the same things with my tow vehicle. I have too much riding on my tires to not try to prevent or at least reduce the chance of failures.
after the failure, I took a close look at the tires that were on the RV. I found that the sidewalls are very thin and that is where they blew out. Fortunately, I was going slow enough both times that the tire didn't damage anything underneath the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	5287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	5288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	5289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	5290  
Old 03-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #9

California
Goodyear endurance

I concur...why take a chance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93052C5E-6DC8-4951-A3FF-55C317BAB4C8.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	5291  
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #10

Illinois
Not disagreeing, just saying a lot of these failures are not caused by the tires themselves. We all have to do what makes us comfortable.
Rusty
Old 03-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Not disagreeing, just saying a lot of these failures are not caused by the tires themselves. We all have to do what makes us comfortable.
Rusty
I believe it's a crap shoot! My stance these days is 'better safe than sorry". I maintain my vehicles very well, checking pressures, making sure tires and all other operating parts are maintained. Possibly, some of them are faulty but there are too many folks that are having issues.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I believe it's a crap shoot! My stance these days is 'better safe than sorry". I maintain my vehicles very well, checking pressures, making sure tires and all other operating parts are maintained. Possibly, some of them are faulty but there are too many folks that are having issues.
I guess I learned my lesson (the hard way).
Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #13

British Columbia
These threads always make me smile. I considered changing out the Westlakes on my Rubicon before hitting the road full time but didn't and 55,000 miles later, after travelling the Alaska Highway, Top of the World highway, Cassiar highway, multitudes of gravel roads and boondocking spots and the Mex 1 down Baja (if you've driven on it, you will know), I finally changed them because they were low on tread.

Not a single puncture or blowout. I rotated them, regularly, never towed over 65mph and maintained pressure daily (although I rarely had to add air). I was close to maximum load for the trailer the whole time.

Maybe I just all 4 of them that were great quality. Maybe it was the meticulous care of them. In the end, I replaced with the Maxxis M808 (I think) because the Goodyears have some reputation for issues too but I also went up by one weight rating.

In those 55,000 miles, I saw more rigs blowing past me at more than 65MPH than not and often saw them down the road with blowouts. I'm all for helping a guy but sometimes, folks just have to learn their lesson. Boat owners are the worst, must be in a hurry to get to the lake.
TripitakaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #14

Illinois
That's all I'm sayin'. Kind of like RV's maybe. Some people get a lemon and others are almost flawless. Maybe I was lucky also.
Rusty
Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
That's all I'm sayin'. Kind of like RV's maybe. Some people get a lemon and others are almost flawless. Maybe I was lucky also.
Rusty
Ain't that the truth! The tires were about the best thing on my RV. LOL!

I may be overly harsh with that as I've put my RV through more in the last couple of years than most see in a lifetime.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #16

California
How old are your tires

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the age of the tires. I have a 2007 Denali 31-RGBS-M5. It weighs about 12K loaded and came with Duro D rated tires manufactured in 06. In 2012, they basically disintigrated on one trip, but luckily no blowouts. They had less than 10k miles, had been covered, and always inflated to 65 PSI cold. I never tow over 65 MPH, usually at 60MPH.
I replaced them with Carlisle E rated tires. These lasted five years before one blew out on the way into Phoenix on a hot summer day, leaving only the bead on the rim. Luckily, only minor damage. These tires had less than 10K on them, were always inflated to 80 PSI cold, and always covered. When storing for more than 2 months, I put it on jack stands. When parking for more than 4 months, I also reduced air pressure by half. Looked like new.
Latest tires are Goodyears. They'll get the same treatment as the last and be replaced at 5 years. I would have upgraded weight rating, but that would have required new wheels.
How many of you replace your tires every 5 years regardless of mileage?
Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #17

Ontario
I got 20,000km out of the OEM tires on my 3950. Replaced them the second year with LT R250s. Now, 7 years later, 2 of those (the rear) need to be replaced.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #18

Oklahoma
My turn - I have the original "china bombs" on my TT, it is now 2019 and they are starting to show some weathering. I started looking for tires (unless something changes we are not moving it in the next 3 months) and need some advice on a pull behind do I want LT tires or ST? the local tire shop said to stay with ST because they are 10 ply, and LT's are usually only 6 ply... I do not know much about tires so opinions are solicited
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #19

British Columbia
My opinion is to stay with ST and go with a reputable brand. The challenge there is knowing what is and is not reputable.

When I eventually swapped out my Westlakes, I did a lot of research thinking that I'd end up with Michelin or Goodyear or some other top tier producer but as it turned out, they all had their issues.

I ended up putting on the Maxxis M8008 in the 10-ply (E rating) which was a sensible step up for my heavy toy hauler. They had the best reviews, least complaints and I've been very happy with them.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripitakaBC View Post
My opinion is to stay with ST and go with a reputable brand. The challenge there is knowing what is and is not reputable.

When I eventually swapped out my Westlakes, I did a lot of research thinking that I'd end up with Michelin or Goodyear or some other top tier producer but as it turned out, they all had their issues.

I ended up putting on the Maxxis M8008 in the 10-ply (E rating) which was a sensible step up for my heavy toy hauler. They had the best reviews, least complaints and I've been very happy with them.
Is this made in China? going to be subject to $$$ tariffs?