Great Tires - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #21

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Is this made in China? going to be subject to $$$ tariffs?
I didn't check where they were manufactured but at the time, I was down in Baja and bought them from Summit Racing and paid $115.97 each for them so they were not overly expensive. It cost me almost as much to have them shipped down to my location but that shouldn't be an issue here.

TripitakaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #22

Oklahoma
Quote:
Is this made in China? going to be subject to $$$ tariffs?
So what do you recommend I do Frank? You have been here for a couple of years and have had more experience than I have. This is my 2nd trailer in 4 years (the first only lasted a month before the dealership bought it back rather than face the lawsuit I had ready for them) I am asking for suggestions from people who actually use their RV as to what works and what I should stay away from....

Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:43 PM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
I am asking for suggestions from people who actually use their RV as to what works and what I should stay away from....
Well, I had 55,000 miles on my Westlakes, 2 years full-time touring. ;-) Does that qualify as 'using my RV'?
TripitakaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #24

Florida
I purchased some GoodYear's when my china bombs blew out. Fortunately, they didn't take out anything on the underside of the RV. There is an entire post on here somewhere devoted to discussing tires. Just search "china Bombs" and you will see them.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...-out-6008.html
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:12 PM   #25

Ohio
It doesn't matter who or where the tires are made if they are on the edge of there capacity. I have had blow outs with Westlake and Goodyear. Load range E is not good enough for the toy hauler. Moving from load range E to G gives me some weight margin.
-Jeff
Old 08-31-2019, 11:25 PM   #26

Tennessee
Last summer I changed out from the ChinaBombs on my Denali to Maxxis 8008s. At the same time I upgraded the brakes and axles to Titan discs and new Lippert 5500# axles.

I had two blow outs with the bombs that did considerable damage to skirting, brake wiring and smoked the interior.

The Maxxis hold air much better, and the new brakes are super. Should have done this before I took delivery.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #27

California
For those worried about import tariffs I would say that unless they are out of stock and being brought over fresh from China that the tariffs should not matter. The tires you will be buying are likely already in a warehouse in the US or for our northern neighbors in a warehouse in Canada somewhere.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #28

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
For those worried about import tariffs I would say that unless they are out of stock and being brought over fresh from China that the tariffs should not matter. The tires you will be buying are likely already in a warehouse in the US or for our northern neighbors in a warehouse in Canada somewhere.
You mean they don't raise those prices as they do gasoline and diesel?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #29

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will59 View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the age of the tires. I have a 2007 Denali 31-RGBS-M5. It weighs about 12K loaded and came with Duro D rated tires manufactured in 06. In 2012, they basically disintigrated on one trip, but luckily no blowouts. They had less than 10k miles, had been covered, and always inflated to 65 PSI cold. I never tow over 65 MPH, usually at 60MPH.
I replaced them with Carlisle E rated tires. These lasted five years before one blew out on the way into Phoenix on a hot summer day, leaving only the bead on the rim. Luckily, only minor damage. These tires had less than 10K on them, were always inflated to 80 PSI cold, and always covered. When storing for more than 2 months, I put it on jack stands. When parking for more than 4 months, I also reduced air pressure by half. Looked like new.
Latest tires are Goodyears. They'll get the same treatment as the last and be replaced at 5 years. I would have upgraded weight rating, but that would have required new wheels.
How many of you replace your tires every 5 years regardless of mileage?

15 years on my dual axle sailboat and I change the tires every 5 years. Tread is like new...but it's the age and sun damage that blows out the tires...along with poor inflation, overloading and speed. No issues yet.....and I've been all over the country twice in addition to local lakes nearby...and in the Arizona sun and heat.
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #30

California
Quote:
You mean they don't raise those prices as they do gasoline and diesel?

I believe the answer is yes. I mean if they do raise them it will be on products that have not yet arrived on our shores. If the products are already in your country the tariffs should not have an impact because they are already through customs.

Gas and diesel prices go up and down generally as oil prices go up and down. People always complain that when like spikes the oils companies are taking advantage because the gas or diesel has already left the refinery but what nobody bothers to acknowledge is that you could use the same argument when oil prices drop and pump prices drop right away too.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #31

Florida
After a blow out on my Voltage 3605 with the west lake 235/80R/16E that came with my Voltage, I swapped out to the Goodyear Endurances. Believing same size and rating is an Apple to Apple swap in terms of load handling, I unfortunately found that Westlake over rates their tires. Westlake has a 3520lb rating when the Good Years were actually 3420lbs. This essentially forced my rig to be underweighted by spec (my rig has dual 7000lb axles). Fortunately, this surprised Goodyear and a National notice is going to be sent out. They are going to swap all 4 for free to a higher rates tire.

Just assure you actually check specs on what ever brand you choose.
Jcop243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #32

California
@jcop243, which tire are they or did they swap you to and what are the specs?

Thanks