Going up in tire size - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Chapter Director
 
gonervn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Findlay
Posts: 286
Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Going up in tire size

has anyone gone from an ST235 80 R 16 to an 85 on a Voltage? I know the rim will handle the tire but it looks to me like it is about an inch larger.
__________________

__________________
Bill & Sallie and most of the time Bella (Standard) Black Poodle
X - 2013 Voltage 3200 Owner
Now Winnebago Vista
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Goshen
Posts: 363
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonervn View Post
has anyone gone from an ST235 80 R 16 to an 85 on a Voltage? I know the rim will handle the tire but it looks to me like it is about an inch larger.
Do they make it in an ST? I couldn't find one. I started looking at LT tires for my Infinity.
__________________

__________________
Dave

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Chapter Director
 
gonervn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Findlay
Posts: 286
Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Sorry, i went with the LT. Goodyear G614's. They also run 100lb of air pressure. The rims were checked and they handle the addiitonal poundage.
__________________
Bill & Sallie and most of the time Bella (Standard) Black Poodle
X - 2013 Voltage 3200 Owner
Now Winnebago Vista
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 204
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonervn View Post
Sorry, i went with the LT. Goodyear G614's. They also run 100lb of air pressure. The rims were checked and they handle the addiitonal poundage.
I believe I am going to LT tires before next trip season. I am not sure what you mean that the rims were checked and they handle the additional poundage. Did your rig not already have load E tires?
__________________


2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MILLINGTON
Posts: 227
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I believe I am going to LT tires before next trip season. I am not sure what you mean that the rims were checked and they handle the additional poundage. Did your rig not already have load E tires?

on the back of your rims there should be some sort of a psi stamp or equivalent. ie 110 lbs or a letter. Just my guess. you will have to pull the tire and rim to see the number
__________________
Rick and Debbie & Ted E. Bear too
SUMMER MICHIGANDERS/WINTER TEXANS
INSTEAD OF GUEST TO OUR FORUM, REGISTER AND BECOME A MEMBER. COST IS FREE! YOUR INSIGHT, IDEAS AND PROBLEMS: PRICELESS!!]
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 204
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENYEARS View Post
on the back of your rims there should be some sort of a psi stamp or equivalent. ie 110 lbs or a letter. Just my guess. you will have to pull the tire and rim to see the number
I understand that. My rig came with a load range E tire which is max pressure 80 psi. That is what fooled me. I see now that size tire is a G load rating with max pressure of 110.

I'll be curious to get a report on how well that tows with that much more pressure. Seems to me there might be the possibility of it amplifying the road bumps and shaking things up in the trailer a bit more.
__________________


2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #7
Chapter Director
 
gonervn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Findlay
Posts: 286
Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Golden years is correct regarding the stamp and so are you with the G rating. I towed the trailer today and I think it tows better. I don't see any difference except corners seem to have a little less sway. Not that I had that much before since I run airbags. I also noticed don't think these tires squat at all compared to the old one.
__________________
Bill & Sallie and most of the time Bella (Standard) Black Poodle
X - 2013 Voltage 3200 Owner
Now Winnebago Vista
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: mt. juliet
Posts: 28
Tennessee
I just put on the Sailun G rated tire which is an 85 aspect. The ride is much better to me. It is about an inch or so taller. There is less sway and less rolling resistance with the higher pressure. These tires weigh about twice what the factory Akurets weigh. Night and day difference quality of the two.
__________________

2013 Voltage 3950
Blue full body paint
micahmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 204
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonervn View Post
I towed the trailer today and I think it tows better. I don't see any difference except corners seem to have a little less sway. Not that I had that much before since I run airbags. I also noticed don't think these tires squat at all compared to the old one.
Good info. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmiles View Post
I just put on the Sailun G rated tire which is an 85 aspect. The ride is much better to me. It is about an inch or so taller. There is less sway and less rolling resistance with the higher pressure. These tires weigh about twice what the factory Akurets weigh. Night and day difference quality of the two.
What exact size and model did you choose? Sailun appears to be a relatively new brand and I have not heard a lot of about them yet.
__________________


2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: mt. juliet
Posts: 28
Tennessee
It's the Sailun S637.
Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637 Premium Regional All Position

Very impressed with this tire so far. You can tell the quality difference instantly. Paid $195 per tire at my local Discount Tire.
__________________

__________________

2013 Voltage 3950
Blue full body paint
micahmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.