Generator Shut-Down - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Illinois
Generator Shut-Down

Do I have an issue. RV was at body shop getting a self induced scratch re-painted. There for two months so no opportunity to exercise the generator. Picked up my unit today. (Looks show room again!). 93 degrees here. Fired up the generator. Runs for 5 minutes and shuts down. Won't restart. Take cover off and let it cool down (generator was hot!). Fires right up again, but dies after 5 minutes or so. Is it possible it's just too hot? Fuel, which has Sea Foam in it, is almost a year old, but since when it's running, i doubt it's a bad fuel issue. Hot here for the next four or five days. Hopefully when weather breaks, problem will be resolved. Need to make sure I'm good for Sturgis in two weeks. Thanks in advance for any input (again).
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:16 AM   #2

Maryland
Couple things possibly....

Oil, if hot I would go Straight 30. The owners manual says it's good from 40 or 50 and beyond. I run Royal Purple and she runs a lot cooler. During my cross country last year, I ran the generator nearly the whole time on the road when 100+ outside.

Next could be the fuel pump. Pirate (IIRC) added a fuel pump at the tank to push fuel to the genset, vice only pulling from the tank. Think his problem is fixed.

I missed three months this past winter and she started right up, wouldn't stress about not starting.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:39 AM   #3

Washington
Sounds similar to a problem I had. Mine was a pinched fuel line that was only pinched with the cover on. It was the black rubber hose on the front of the unit. Rerouted it and no more problem. Also there should be an error code flashing on the start switch if it shuts down. Codes are in the owners manual and online.
bdlharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

Colorado
Try firing it up and see if it runs in the cool of the evening and night. If it does, then adding a fuel pump at the tank to "push" fuel to the generator fuel pump may the the right answer.

Yours is acting just like ours did before adding the second pump.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Minnesota
Hi folks. This is my first reply to a post, so forgive me if I'm doing something incorrect.

Pirate - was it hard to add the second pump? Could you provide pictures or part numbers?
hdfxrschev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Illinois
Generator

Thanks guys. I followed the fuel pump install postings closely. I'll run over this morning and see if it stays running while it's cool out, as well as check error codes if they pop up.
Rusty
Old 07-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Maryland
Regardless of outcome, I would change the oil. Donzinger had a hot genset problem not too long ago and oil was the cause of his concern. Factory oil needs an early oil change interval, around 50 hours I think. It's quick, easy, and good insurance knowing what is actually in it, as I am unsure of what comes installed from the factory.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

Florida
Another item related to fuel lines is some people reported that the long run of fuel line was actually collapsing when running, cutting off fuel.
I think this my be what lead to the addition of the second fuel pump.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

Texas
Had this problem in Luchenbach after running 24 hrs started shutting down. Started asking around and everyone said to loosen fuel cap, been doing that ever since and haven't had any more trouble even going down the road with loosened fuel cap runs up and down the hills.
Texan5389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #10

Illinois
Went to storage yard and fired up the generator. Ran for 25 minutes under load from three roof A/C units. Loosened gas cap for good measure. Oil level was good (changed with Onan oil 16 hours ago). Ran fine. Could have been heat, fuel line, cap, or divine intervention. But for now, I'm good to go and don't have a generator issue hanging over my head. Thanks again for the input guys. Have a good weekend.
Rusty