Generator problems... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #1

Generator problems...

I started my Generator (onan 5500) today after sitting about 3 weeks.. it started after 10 seconds or so of cranking and ran.. i noticed the start switch began immediately flashing continuously. I shut it down and restarted it. Again the light continued to flash.. it was not giving any pause like a code just a continuously flash. A third start and again it flashed until i shut it down.. I didn't have time to check of AC output which i know is simple but you know Thanksgiving and disconnect short power etc.. but will tomorrow.
Does anyone have any idea what continuous flashing is indicating??? it is not giving any codes only a stream of flashing..

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #2

Michigan
Only thing I can see in the manual is that maybe the control panel doesn't know it is no longer cranking? Or maybe it is not sensing power output to switch the LED into continuous on mode.

From page 23 - LED in the control switch that blinks rapidly during cranking. Stays on continuously after generator set is running.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

Donzinger... in english what does that mean from the book???is it saying the light is suppose to flash continously?? is it saying it is not getting feed back from the genset?? Its really not clear... thanks for looking for me.. today I will go out and see if it is putting out juice. Problems problems. One day things work the next they are kaput..
Old 11-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
Donzinger... in english what does that mean from the book???is it saying the light is suppose to flash continously?? is it saying it is not getting feed back from the genset?? Its really not clear... thanks for looking for me.. today I will go out and see if it is putting out juice. Problems problems. One day things work the next they are kaput..
What he said was, the gen set control panel user interface is waiting for a signal voltage from the gen set to reverse bias the switching transistor to make the LED emit a steady frequency.

I hope that helps
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

now that I understand....
Old 11-26-2016, 01:50 AM   #6

Today I fired up the Generator again..The light continued to flash. I checked and I had no AC output.. All Circuit breakers were good even on the Genset. My guess is the circuit board on the generator has died again...
Does anyone know where i can shop for another circuit board for the generator that is mounted in the black box on the side of the generator??
Old 11-26-2016, 01:58 AM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Today I fired up the Generator again..The light continued to flash. I checked and I had no AC output.. All Circuit breakers were good even on the Genset. My guess is the circuit board on the generator has died again...
Does anyone know where i can shop for another circuit board for the generator that is mounted in the black box on the side of the generator??
onan control board | eBay
might be something here you could use.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #8

Thanks Sundancer... i just thought about ebay after i posted that last post . Hopefully but sadly that is the problem.. the last board change out cost me 600 dollars for the board, service call and labor...
Old 11-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
Thanks Sundancer... i just thought about ebay after i posted that last post . Hopefully but sadly that is the problem.. the last board change out cost me 600 dollars for the board, service call and labor...
Flight Systems claims their boards are made in the US. Dinosaur seems to make many different boards including RV stuff.
Regardless, the discrete components aren't made in the US so either company with the best warranty would work for me.

Anything cheaper than the dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Might want to look behind basement wall, there's a large box with fuses- three were on bottom of mine. I blew my 40 amp fuses and did the same thing, replaced them and all good. think if the shore is still conected to rv it will flash. I would take plug off the side of unit first then start generator. if it still flashes then check fuses in the dumb location for fuse but they are there might save you some money.
TomBlackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:58 PM   #11

Tom... what is your unit size and model.. I have had mine open in the basement before and do not recall any fuses there.. can you give me more info.. like what or where they were located at??? if your unit is the same as mine. That would be a great help..thanks
Old 11-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #12

Michigan
Only fuses behind the wall on a large box that I can think of are on the converter, but not sure what effect they have on AC output from the generator.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:35 AM   #13

well i removed the control panel.. what a job..It seems the cheapest i can find the board so far is a little over 3 bills.. ouch..i have to call a place tomorrow to see exactly which board i need...
Old 11-28-2016, 02:09 AM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
well i removed the control panel.. what a job..It seems the cheapest i can find the board so far is a little over 3 bills.. ouch..i have to call a place tomorrow to see exactly which board i need...
The part number should be printed on the board itself somewhere. Three hundred is kind of high but if it makes it work again and lasts a long long time then it will be worth it.

I wonder though, tomorrow if you have time will you post a photo of both sides of the board? Mainly for my own electronic curiosity but also so the rest of us will know what it looks like.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #15

Sorry about the delay.. I have been getting home after dark.. Tomorrow if my feeble brain can remember i will snap a couple shots of the board.. I talked to a tech who worked on the genset before.. He is leaning toward brushes.. He should be out next week to check it out.. I can only hope its brushes.. this particular board is over 5 bills.. ouch..
Old 12-02-2016, 03:31 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Sorry for my delay in getting back to your reply I have 3990 i did blow fuses once not sure why think they are for the 12 volt also if I do not take the 50 amp off side of camper my light flashes not sure if that will help you. Now when I see it flash I will think of you and hope I it will fix itself .lol hope it's something simple

2000 Heritage Softail (Harley Davidson)
TomBlackwood is offline   Reply With Quote