Generator issues...again - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 06:15 AM   #41

Colorado
VC,

That was me that did the post on adding a second fuel pump back at the fuel tank.

Did it no because the generator is higher, but because the front mounted gen fuel pump just won't pull enough fuel when its hot.

Adding the second pump ended that problem. I had trouble twice with the gen quitting when we were moving. After that, no problems at all.

We would stop about 60 miles from days destination, start the generator, start one AC unit, switch the fridge to LP and no problems at all.

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #42

Ohio
Pirate,

I bought a pump and some wire and I am getting ready to add the rear aux pump. The onan pump has a white wire and black wire with white chaser. I'm assuming the black/white is the hot wire. Do you remember? Also while looking at an onan service manual for a wiring diagram I did see where they don't recommend an aux pump. The manual says anything more that 1.5 psi could overwhelm the pump and cause a fire. Have you had any issues? The pump I bought has an output of 14 psi.
-Jeff

Old 09-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #43

Colorado
Jeff,

Yes the black wire was the hot wire. But with a 12V tester light you can make sure. There is also, under the Onan access cover a fuse holder on the hot wire for the pump.

I use a red wire for the new pump...that way I know its the hot wire. My pump came with a short ground wire with ring terminal that simply went under one of the bracket mounting bolts.

I never looked at the Onan book other than to find the error was "not from command". So I called a good friend with lots of TH experience. On all three the answer was the second pump. Dealer paid for one of them.

We've probably put more than 40 hours on the gen since add the second pump. Both dry camping for 5 days and then running the gen for an hour before we reach our destination so we could run the AC and cool the interior off.

Only problem I've had is walking down the side of the TH and "what's that sound"....oh yeah...the fuel pump. LOL!!! I think I was tired that afternoon!

If you choose to run the wire though the 2" ABS duct that Dutchman put from almost the get compartment back to within a foot or so of the fuel tank at the back...get ready for a PITA!!

The gen has its housing, it sits in a bigger sheet metal box as part of the TH.

I had plenty of the 12 ga red wire I bought. So on my third, and successful attempt. I disconnected the fuel line and marked it. Disconnected the vapor line to the charcoal filter.

On my TH the fuel pump is under the Passenger side front corner of the gen. So I went to the Driver side of the gen, and if I recall, there is a gap of about, maybe, 3" between the side of the gen sheet metal enclosure and the edge of the compartment exterior door.

Using a flashlight I could see that gap was open to the belly "plastic cardboard cover". Using a tape measure I was able to "guesstimate" where to cut the belly cover and did so cutting a 6"x6" opening, cutting three sides and leaving the front edge intact. (Sure makes it easy to tape the other three sides up and the wind won't pull the tape off)

It was through that gap a the front, had hole in the belly that I was able to thread the red wire for pulling. (Could use a fish tape very well...but mine was about 360 miles away in the shop)

Then tied the two hoses and the red wire very well together with electrical tape and a piece of mechanics wire. Then pulled the combination from the rear all the way out of the ABS duct.

Cut the red wire long enough for good pulling at the front. Then added the red wire to the knot at the forward end of the bunch. And successfully pulled all four through the ABS duct to the front.

Then un-knotted them, pull the red wire for pulling them out. Then you'll need a second person to help look and feel as you thread the new power wire for the pump into the sheet metal enclosure, behind the gen, and up and into the gen housing to crimp splice it to the hot wire.

Then reconnect the fuel and vapor lines, prime the gen, and voila!!

Took me about six hours...but if I had the info that I wrote on pulling the red power wire....probably about 2 hours???

Let me know if you have questions!!

Pirate
Old 09-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #44

Ohio
Did the installation of the aux in line pump this morning. Took a little over 2 hours including a run to the hardware store for some fittings and in-line fuse holder. They only use quarter inch hose, so that is a pretty small opening to be sucking gas from the back. That is about as big as a straw.

First pic shows the connection to the 12v wire running the onan pump. Just used a 3m clip on there to the in line fuse. Used a 10 amp fuse .
Click image for larger version

Name:	GenConnection.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2538

I ran my wire out the side and across the front to the drivers side. Beside the genny compartment there is an abs conduit that runs all the way to the tank in back. They ran the fuel line and charcoal filter hose there. Did not have any problem pushing my fish tape through from the front and pulling the wire from the back.

Name:	FrontConduit.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2539

This is the finished product in the back. I mounted to the frame right in the midde of the fill station. I was going to use a self taping bolt, but since it would have been sticking though in the fuel station, I did not want the sharp edge in there. I drilled a hole and used a standard bolt with a lock washer and nut. Got the 1/8 pipe to 1/4 connections at the hardware store. 5/16 are what came with the pump.

Name:	BackPump.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2540

I did find that when I had the camper to Holman's and they replaced the fuel line, the did not tighten the fuel filter completely and I had a leak there. Glad to have found that. Ran the generator for about 30 minutes with no problems.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #45

Colorado
Jeff,

Very cool!!! Hope all my blather was helpful!

My fuel line was 5/16" and that's the fittings I used. 1/4"...yeah, I think the rear pump will be very helpful!!!

Most excellent!!!

Pirate
Old 09-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #46

Ohio
Yes it help give me a running start, I knew what I was looking for. Thanks
-Jeff
Old 09-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #47

Ohio
Looks like adding the fuel pump to the back is the answer. Ran for several hours like a champ over the weekend. The only thing I would do different was maybe add a rubber grommet or something to isolate the pump from the frame. In the garage I can hear the back pump running. That maybe a winter project for me. I am also cross posting the other thread going on this topic. Here is the thread I started. http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...es-2664-4.html
Old 09-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #48

Texas
These are awesome instructions!!! I have finally been able to put other life stumble stones out if the way enough to get back to this. Thanks for the advice and when I get my solution finished, I'll be posting it!! With pictures!!!
Rolldabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #49

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwelsh View Post
I did find that when I had the camper to Holman's and they replaced the fuel line, the did not tighten the fuel filter completely and I had a leak there.
Small world - we bought our rig at Holman's as well.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #50

Texas
Well everyone, first I'd like to thank you for all the good advice!! Now that I've finally gotten other life calls taken care of, I have made it back to my Voltage with parts in hand. As it turns out, the simplest of repairs was required. I changed the fuel pump and filter and HOCUS POCUS it was fixed. Genny runs great!! What fooled me was, as I tested the pump, it sounded good. It lied. It's gone!! Thanks again for all your help!!
Rolldabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #51

Florida
Thanks for posting end result
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #52

South Carolina
I have been having exact same problem from day one...generator won't run for extended period. Fuel pump switched out twice, adaptor kit added to properly vent air so it doesn't return to carburetor causing superheated air to return to carburetor and now... now they arr replacing carburetor and air manifold...smh
Popeye3996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:41 PM   #53

Ohio
I have not had any problems since adding the rear pump. That was 7 years ago. I have about 175 hours on the generator at this point. Longest period I have run it was at Darlington from Thursday night till we left on Monday. Good luck with your repairs, hopefully that works for you.