Generator help?!?! - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #21

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
Satisfied Micro Air user here. Our Yamaha 2400 runs our 13.5 kBtu air conditioner reliably.
Did you install it?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #22

Montana
Yes. It wasn't difficult if you're comfortable with cutting and splicing wires. Clear instructions included

Old 06-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #23

Tennessee
Just take a few minutes to figure the best way to run the wiring. I was too quick to start attaching wires and had to redo a few due to bad wire routing. The actual connections are easy, unless you're color blind. I'd also recommend the RV installation kit as it provides all the connectors and zip ties. Is it worth $10, no. Would you pay $20 if you were up on your roof for 2 hours and didn't have/ran out of the right connectors, yup.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:19 PM   #24

Pennsylvania
Ok, thanks everyone for the feedback. I think that is the way I am going to go. The main unit is a 15k btu and the secondary unit is a 13.5k btu. We mainly run the main one as it is ducted throughout and works very well even in the Florida heat.

Overall it just bugged me that the Yamaha would not run the AC unit but after talking it over with some electrical engineers here at my work place and the research I was able to do, it does make sense to why I am having issues. I think with the Soft Start kit we will be able to go back to our original Honda 3000i unit. That is a good thing as it is quiet and easier to move around than the Yamaha unit we were testing out. I am very happy I had a friend who had the yamaha unit to test out before i blindly bought one. I had a dealer give me a price and I was ready to pull the trigger thinking that was the answer. Very thankful for the help from everyone.

Give me some time, I will order in the Soft Start kit and I will post up an update on here.
cpp117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #25

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpp117 View Post
Ok, thanks everyone for the feedback. I think that is the way I am going to go. The main unit is a 15k btu and the secondary unit is a 13.5k btu. We mainly run the main one as it is ducted throughout and works very well even in the Florida heat.

Overall it just bugged me that the Yamaha would not run the AC unit but after talking it over with some electrical engineers here at my work place and the research I was able to do, it does make sense to why I am having issues. I think with the Soft Start kit we will be able to go back to our original Honda 3000i unit. That is a good thing as it is quiet and easier to move around than the Yamaha unit we were testing out. I am very happy I had a friend who had the yamaha unit to test out before i blindly bought one. I had a dealer give me a price and I was ready to pull the trigger thinking that was the answer. Very thankful for the help from everyone.

Give me some time, I will order in the Soft Start kit and I will post up an update on here.
Post some pictures of the install too... thanks!
Old 06-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #26

California
I have a 2016 3605 with gen set. The Honda generator will power up the main a.c. unit. When I turn on bedroom unit at the same time, the compressor on the main unit cycles. This is the worst thing for you compressor not getting enough amperage. I think the problem and mine is not the generator but the wiring and load center Dutchman installed. The trailer is hot which in turn heats up the interior wiring and you will loose amperage through your panel. Thats why the new trailers have a load shedding system that monitors constant amperages to all circuits depending on the electrical draw. Try running both units on a cold day. If both cycle you will know thats the problem. Its another Dutchman brain dead problem on the Voltages.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #27

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcvey View Post
I have a 2016 3605 with gen set. The Honda generator will power up the main a.c. unit. When I turn on bedroom unit at the same time, the compressor on the main unit cycles. This is the worst thing for you compressor not getting enough amperage. I think the problem and mine is not the generator but the wiring and load center Dutchman installed. The trailer is hot which in turn heats up the interior wiring and you will loose amperage through your panel. Thats why the new trailers have a load shedding system that monitors constant amperages to all circuits depending on the electrical draw. Try running both units on a cold day. If both cycle you will know thats the problem. Its another Dutchman brain dead problem on the Voltages.
If you have two ac units, you will have a 50 amp service. your generator must have TWO 120 volt circuits, 25 amps each in order to run both of them. Also, INRUSH is a big deal with AC units.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:00 AM   #28

Florida
You should be able to run both a/c units plus other items with a much smaller gen than a 6300 watts. I would look at getting a couple of things. First get a Micro-Air Soft Start Starter for one or both of your a/c units. This REDUCES the amps needed to start your a/c thus less watts/amps the gen size. Second get a second generator to help your Honda 3000 rather than a larger single gen. You can couple the gens to get enough power when you need power and one gen when you don't saving gas!
davesullivansr@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #29

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpp117 View Post
I think I am going to go the route of a soft start kit instead of trying to buy a larger generator. I have read up on the Micro Air soft start set up and so far Im pretty impressed with it. I believe this will allow me to use my original generator we mothballed before moving into our larger unit we have now.

Any one else have experience with the Mircro Air soft start kits?
I have it on all three of my AC's and they are great. A pricey investment but I confirmed with an ammeter that they work as promised.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #30

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
I have it on all three of my AC's and they are great. A pricey investment but I confirmed with an ammeter that they work as promised.
When I did the 5 start learning cycle I could hear the compressor thump getting quieter and quieter. By the 5th one I had to stick my ear up by unit to even hear it kick on.