Generator - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2015, 01:54 AM   #1

Saskatchewan
Generator

Can U be plugged into 120 volts, and start the generator and use the power from that while your still plugged in? I only have 30amps at the Plug in and when its really hot and I want to run both AC's I need more Amperage.

walleyesb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:59 AM   #2

Oklahoma
That won't work because when you start the generator the mains voltage will be switched out leaving you with only generator voltage.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:02 AM   #3

Saskatchewan
That's Fine, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't burn something out. Arent the ACs running 20 amps per? whats my amperage with the generators? 30 Amps?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:28 AM   #4

South Carolina
If you search around, there are a few threads on this board about how some have attacked this problem. Many are variations of this: Remove the wiring from one AC at the circuit breaker box, thus removing it from the TT's wiring. Now somehow connect that AC wiring to a (fused) cord and 20 Amp plug to the outside. Now feed your second AC either from a generator or another camp outlet. Obviously, you need to be confident of your wiring before you take on this modification!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:34 AM   #5

Texas
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...tall-1725.html

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:16 AM   #6

Saskatchewan
AC

The second ac is already there. Problem is at our permanent site, I have a Kitchen house, with a Fridge and a Deep freeze in it, a Bunkhouse with Lights, The 3895 with 2 AC's already installed, the Toy haulers fridge and Freezer, the Satellite, the TV, ect ect, on the 30 Amp Plug, so I trip the breaker easy. I think If I run the Generator on Hot days I can run both the toy hauler and run everything including both AC's, while the 120 Volts can run the other stuff in the site.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #7

South Carolina
I believe Horned Toad knew that by your original post; he just provided a link to camp on to my thread about wiring in a secondary, 20 amp feed to your TT. But now that you mention how you have a permanent site, with all the other devices, it looks like the cleanest, and cheapest way for you to go is to get the permanent site electrical upgraded to a 50 amp outlet for your RV plug. Since it is a permanent site, that would be the best way to go without coming up with work-arounds and generators.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:28 AM   #8

Saskatchewan
Ya im guessing that will be very costly, we will make do. The one ac works fine. just be nice to get er cool quick.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #9

Texas
I'm sorry I didn't fully understand your problem from the original post, I was just adding the link to the post about hardwiring a 2nd AC.

I had a similar problem at my tailgate site, last year they added power pedestals, but they were only 30A. I had an end spot which gave me access to both sides of the 30A pedestal. I bought a 30A/30A to 50A Y adapter which delivered 30As to both sides of the panel allowing me to run two ACs.

If you have access to an additional 20A plug you could use a similar 15A/30A to 50A Y adapter to the same affect.

When hooked up this way I'll usually run the fridge & water heater on propane to take some of the load off the panel. If you have 45A to the panel running two ACs will not leave room for much else and you'll need every bit of it to start the ACs.

Amazon.com: Camco 55025 PowerGrip Maximizer 45 AMP Adapter: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30 to 50.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2225  

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
I believe Horned Toad knew that by your original post; he just provided a link to camp on to my thread about wiring in a secondary, 20 amp feed to your TT. But now that you mention how you have a permanent site, with all the other devices, it looks like the cleanest, and cheapest way for you to go is to get the permanent site electrical upgraded to a 50 amp outlet for your RV plug. Since it is a permanent site, that would be the best way to go without coming up with work-arounds and generators.
I agree with MartyG on this. With all those compressors running you are very possibly running on the edge of "brown out" conditions where you will have low voltage causing damage to all of the compressors, not just your a/c.
Up grade should be cheaper than replacing all of your chilling machines and reduce the fire risk to your site.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote