Garage AC Unit - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

Colorado
Garage AC Unit

Pirate here,

We purchased a 2014 Voltage Epic 3800. We chose not to add the third AC unit in the Garage.

Now we wish we had it. We've been told all the wiring is in place to add the Garage AC Unit.

Has anyone done this project?

Is the unit controlled by the touch pad by the front door?

How was it added to the touch pad?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #2

Wyoming
I haven't done it, as I got all 3 new...

That said, it is my understanding that all the wiring should be there... the key word being "should".

If added, you should then be able to control it via the thermostat (Dometic CCC2 controller). As per the CCC2 manual, it is added to the system via jumper settings at the control module (wherever that is). You should be able to find how to do it in your manual.

I know there are lots of "shoulds" in this post, meaning it doesn't really tell you much.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

Colorado
It'll be sometime this Winter before I tackle this project....

Not sure what the Dometic CC2 controller is though...

Pirate
Old 10-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #4

Wyoming
Your thermostat...

http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/E...nual_17586.pdf
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

Colorado
Oh that...I'm not allowed to touch that.

But thanks and I'll keep the document. Should be with all the other documentation we got. I'm not allowed to touch that file box either.

Pirate
Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #6

Wyoming
Ha!

The first time you get an Error Code on it, I bet you'll be allowed to then.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #7

Florida
Judgeing by some of the problems others have posted, I believe the thermostat controler is all hooked in at the main A/C (zone 1) and there is a ethernet type (or phone??) type plug in that junction box.

Dont know for sure, just based on problems others have reported, my a/c is the only thing dutchmen got working right on mine.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #8

Texas
If I had a choice - I would make the third AC be like the master bedroom model. I find that the garage AC is very weak!! But if the master bedroom's AC was back there then beware - the person(s) on the top bunk might get really cold!!!
skifamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:33 AM   #9

Wyoming
My garage AC cools just as well as my bedroom unit. If I close the doors to both, I can hang meat in either side.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Maryland
Tom,
Same here, bedroom and garage will freeze you out. I have come a long way on the main living space, but i think it is just too big for the few number of vents and the leaky ducts in the ceiling. With that being said, when it is hot out, the garage becomes the main entry way into the trailer, since it can keep up with the open\closing of the door.

Now, if there was a way to tie the garage ducting into the trunk line, they may put some more air into the main space...especially with all three units running.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #11

Wyoming
I don't wanna hijack the thread, but I'm convinced the issue in the main area... if you've redone tape work in the ducting... isn't the AC. I'm convinced it's the large, uninsulated slideout that just radiates heat.

* No slideout in the garage, and the garage stays cool...

* Small slideout in the bedroom, filled with clothes & shutoff to the room by doors, and the bedroom stays cool...

* Large, open slideout with big windows in main cabin... hard to keep cool.

Thats my theory...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #12

Illinois
Interesting point. Never thought about it, but you could be right.
Rusty
PS. Just read about a large shortage in your old area of expertise. Ever think of coming out of retirement? LOL
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #13

Alberta
Following this as my 2014 3305 I just bought only has the main 15 k unit in living area. I know I may have to add one later but doubt I would need three.
you never know.
I think it depends on where you camp and personal thing.
On my 30 foot cougar the one 13.5 k kept everything cool even on our trip to Disney 2 summers ago.
Mind you, we are in a much bigger rig now.
If I have to, I will add to the main bedroom. Probably need another thermostat then too.

Will wait till next summer to give it a go.
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:51 PM   #14

Colorado
Heat in Garage AC unit

Has anyone tried to install the heat unit in the garage AC unit. From the looks of the controls it should be possible. Heat in the garage area is pretty weak.
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #15

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Has anyone tried to install the heat unit in the garage AC unit. From the looks of the controls it should be possible. Heat in the garage area is pretty weak.
I have not but have looked at it pretty extensively. Once the unit has the element installed, you need to find a jumper, which will tell the thermostat that it installed. I am kicking it around, but have no clue where to find the box with jumpers.

Will probably put in the front bedroom also. Stay chilly up there, unless I can figure out how to cut the floor vent in the bathroom longer so it will reach into the bedroom.

Cale
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I don't wanna hijack the thread, but I'm convinced the issue in the main area... if you've redone tape work in the ducting... isn't the AC. I'm convinced it's the large, uninsulated slideout that just radiates heat.

* No slideout in the garage, and the garage stays cool...

* Small slideout in the bedroom, filled with clothes & shutoff to the room by doors, and the bedroom stays cool...

* Large, open slideout with big windows in main cabin... hard to keep cool.

Thats my theory...
Tom
Us with the cheaper "V" series have a advantage you don't have. Our main A/C has a option to have air go straight down into our living area. That's how I run ours. As the garage is just that, we don't worry about keeping it cool. Bedroom 13.5k btu unit keeps that area cold with no problem. It also has a heat strip option that I'm going to add.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:49 AM   #17

Indiana
The AC in the garage will be a non-ducted unit. It will need to be wired with the 110v wire, "phone" data cable, thermo-couple wire, Main AC wiring plug. The brain on the AC will need to have zone 3 switched on, thermo-couple plugged into brain and installed into AC, Main AC wiring plugged into brain, 110v wired into brain, "phone" data cable plugged into brain - either position on brain.

Once installed the thermostat will need to be re-intialized by pressing the zone/mode buttons at the same time. Once completed you should than see all 3 zones recognized on the thermostat. Zone 1 - Living area, zone 2 - front bedroom, zone 3 - garage.

If the unit doesn't have the "phone" data cable at the rear garage AC location you would need to run a cable from the bedroom AC brain to the garage AC brain for it to be recognized on the thermostat.

Hope that helps.
DutchmenClassic04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:55 AM   #18

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
I have not but have looked at it pretty extensively. Once the unit has the element installed, you need to find a jumper, which will tell the thermostat that it installed. I am kicking it around, but have no clue where to find the box with jumpers.

Will probably put in the front bedroom also. Stay chilly up there, unless I can figure out how to cut the floor vent in the bathroom longer so it will reach into the bedroom.

Cale

I'm not completey postitive, but on the AC's the brains have Zone switch's and it depends on which zone switch is flipped for the thermostat to recognize the proper area and function. The bedroom and garage AC brains are located under the interior shroud and the main living area AC zone switch's are located under the AC shroud on the roof.
DutchmenClassic04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #19

Colorado
My 2013 3950 has the rear AC installed and has a separate thermostat in the garage for that unit so I guess it's a self contained system. lucky me!
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #20

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I'm convinced the issue in the main area... if you've redone tape work in the ducting... isn't the AC. I'm convinced it's the large, uninsulated slideout that just radiates heat..
I'm convinced that there just isn't enough air coming out of the vents.

When you say "redo tape work in the ducting", do you mean at the vents (which I have done), under the AC unit on the roof (which I have done) or something else that can help the pathetic performance of the main area AC?

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote