Furnace Inop - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #1

Maryland
Furnace Inop

Furnace has started acting up the last couple of days, now it seems to be completely Inop.

It has done a fairly decent job keeping the main living area with the given setting. Woke up yesterday to find that it was 5 degrees below the set point. I raised it 5 degrees to give it a 10 degree split and it kicked on. Now, I can set it to max temperature, the furnace will not kick on at all. I am going to file with Keystone online this morning, as my warranty ends tomorrow (1 Novemeber...impeccable timing).

Any thoughts as to what the problem may be?

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
My first thought would be possibly a control board or the thermostat is going bad. I am not sure what type of furnace is in the unit you have or the controls system for it. I have one of the real simple ones that has a mechanical thermostat and a couple of limit switches.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #3

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
My first thought would be possibly a control board or the thermostat is going bad. I am not sure what type of furnace is in the unit you have or the controls system for it. I have one of the real simple ones that has a mechanical thermostat and a couple of limit switches.

Aaron
Funny, as I sat here and read your reply, the furnace kicked on..did as it was suppose to. When the burner flipped off (while the fan was still running) I punched the temperature up a few degrees, the furnace lit off again...weird....

Have to wait for the wife to get out of bed, as the manuals are stored under there...

Cale

Old 10-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #4

Nevada
Had a similar issue on my last rv. Replaced digital thermostat everything was back to normal. Local rv dealer had thermostat $80 bought it on amazon for $30 same exact one.
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

Maryland
Think I fixed the problem...pulled the outside furnace cover off and found the controller board. Atwood was nice enough to have a sticker on the fan shroud that stated what failure codes were. Mine was one flash with three seconds off, restricted airflow...I thumped the fan shroud and she fired right up. Turned it all off and disassembled the fan...found a screw in the fan. Used some of the CRC slide lube and hit the top and bottom of the fan axle...put her all back together, tightened up screws and she works like a charm now. My only fear though is that the fan has apparently been restricted for some time now...may have shortened the life of the fan motor, as I would have assumed that it would spin freely, something like a frictionless bearing.

We will see.

Cale

Old 10-31-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Nevada
Way to go!!! Love when things are solved by persistence! Cheers
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #7

Ontario
I had a problem with my furnace. Turned out to be loose electrical connection. I thought I had it fixed several times because it would work for a while after wiggling / thumping. Eventually crimped all the push on connectors tighter and, fingers crossed, no problems since last year.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

Illinois
Our furnace wouldn't turn on at... Turns out the idiots at Dutchman do not check if the on/off -reset switch behind the outside furnace cover is turned on...
Old 11-04-2015, 02:56 AM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushin4u View Post
Our furnace wouldn't turn on at... Turns out the idiots at Dutchman do not check if the on/off -reset switch behind the outside furnace cover is turned on...
You didn't check the furnace on your PDI when you bought it?????
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

Maryland
After pulling mine apart this weekend, I would suggest that everyone take the white cover apart and clean the trash out of that area. There was a red gas fitting end cap laying back there amongst some other trash.

Cale

Old 11-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #11

Wyoming
Had a similar issue with mine this morning. (Yes, we had a cool snap out here the past 2 days)

Pulled the panel... One flash at 3 second intervals. Tapped the shroud a few times... no joy.

Came back inside... Turned thermostat off, then pulled the fuse for the furnace. Waited 30 seconds, replaced fuse, thermostat on, selected FURN. She started right up and is now operating as advertised.

Not sure what caused that. It worked fine yesterday morning. We did shut down all power & gas when the water heater was replaced yesterday, but can't imagine that would have done it.

Oh well...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #12

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Had a similar issue with mine this morning. (Yes, we had a cool snap out here the past 2 days)

Pulled the panel... One flash at 3 second intervals. Tapped the shroud a few times... no joy.

Came back inside... Turned thermostat off, then pulled the fuse for the furnace. Waited 30 seconds, replaced fuse, thermostat on, selected FURN. She started right up and is now operating as advertised.

Not sure what caused that. It worked fine yesterday morning. We did shut down all power & gas when the water heater was replaced yesterday, but can't imagine that would have done it.

Oh well...
I would go ahead and shoot some lubricant on the shaft of the hamster wheel (top and bottom). After pulling mine apart, cleaning it all out, and lubricating it, she seems to run much quieter now.

Cale

Old 11-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
You didn't check the furnace on your PDI when you bought it?????
No I didn't check mine on the PDI. Did go on shake down trip directly from the dealer. It worked fine all weekend & ever sense
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #14

Ontario
My furnace kept fooling me because it would work for a while, then it wouldn't come on. Cycling the power on the thermostat once or twice, then 3 - 4 times, then ten times would make it come on after which it would work for a while.

As I said earlier in this thread, the problems didn't really go away until I tightened the 'teeth' on the electrical spade lug connectors.

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote