Fresh water tank issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

Oregon
Angry Fresh water tank issues

I recently picked up a 2013 voltage V3305, specs say it should have a 96 gallon water tank on it. The last two times I have had it out after two days of fairly light use we have ran out of water. The grey systems are 70 gallons between two tanks and nether show more than 1/3 to 2/3 full so I am not sure where the 96 gallons of water is going.

This last trip I double checked that it was full by the gauge and by trying to put more water in after it was coming back up the fill spout.

Dose anyone know if the fresh water tank is actually two separate tanks that are connected with a balance hose and if the sensors are only one tank?

Has anyone ever experienced water loss during travel from the water splashing back up the fill spout?

Is there any tricks to making sure it is full?

I am getting ready to go on a nine day trip and don't want to run out of water. Our last trailer had 110 gallons of fresh and we never came close to using that much water even in on a week long trip.

sled169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #2

Arizona
I had that problem with my Voltage 3905. It is suppose to hold 160 gallons of water but I would run out quickly when camping and I did not feel I was getting it full even though the gauge said it was full. I tried several different remedies. One was to take a short piece of water hose and blow (by mouth) into the vent. After doing this the vent would blow back at me for a pretty long period. I found that after pressurizing the tank as descried I could take on allot more water.

I think my trailer has two tanks with a crossover but am not sure. I also found that a hose with no end connector, coupled to the fill hose (so that you can feed it to the bottom of the tank) seemed to help. I don't know for sure why.

Get one of these and you will know how much water your are taking on. Also, dump all your fresh before metering your intake.

P3 P0550 Water Meter - Water Alarms - Amazon.com

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #3

California
I found it very hard to get the tank full. Can't go by the gauge. Here is what I used which seems to work the best. You do need to get all the air out before you can get the tank completely full.
Water Tank Filler with Shut-Off Valve - Camco 40003 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #4

Colorado
I have the same issue with my 3950, I usually fill fairly slowly until the water starts to back out of the fresh fill. When it does that I then hold the hose tight to let the tank build pressure, (~5 mins, with the tap on half). Once I do this and take the hose away I get the back pressure blow out that eliminates the air that's left in the tank then just top off the rest of the tank.

I though it was just a kinked breather hose, but I guess it's the design now.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #5

Oregon
Interesting, I will try filling it at a slower rate to let the air out better and see if it seems to fill better. It is tough to know for sure when the tanks are full if the gauge it not reliable, since you cannot see the tanks anywhere. I also wonder how many gallons it takes to charge the system, I was guessing probably 15 to 20 gallons between the hot water tank and all the lines.
sled169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #6

Tennessee
I have a similar problem with my 3200. I am sure the tank is not vented properly because when I dump the the tank it doesn't allow enough air in unless I remove the fill cap
Coolbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #7

Colorado
I have the same device as DesertRat, but mine is a cool orange, but using it to fill the tank is the way to go.

I do not think there is a tank on any RV that is properly vented. I have had to redo the vent tubing on both of my previous RVs.

I don't understand why the manufacturers can't figure that out...its simple fluid mechanics!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I have the same device as DesertRat, but mine is a cool orange, but using it to fill the tank is the way to go.

I do not think there is a tank on any RV that is properly vented. I have had to redo the vent tubing on both of my previous RVs.

I don't understand why the manufacturers can't figure that out...its simple fluid mechanics!!

Pirate
Key word... "simple"

They can't even put a friggin' screw in straight, you expect them to put a vent hose in correctly?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:06 AM   #9

Colorado
Oh, yeah, forgot about that...guess if the screws aren't in straight...why would I expect the vents to be correct???

Sheesh...how could I be so foolish??

Pirate
Old 10-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Key word... "simple"

They can't even put a friggin' screw in straight, you expect them to put a vent hose in correctly?

Aaron
Aaron, I think this goes back to our AC shrouds. It seems like the engineers and designers put together a working concept, but the folks on the assembly floor are not getting the word on the "why" behind the design. They are not told about how a vent works, or how an AC shroud should drain water. They are trained and I presume encouraged, just to bolt the darn things together quickly, and "get it out of here." If you ask me, their problems are not in the engineering offices, they are on the assembly floor.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:09 AM   #11

Colorado
Yes, if there is not an explanation of "why" there is a near fatal flaw in nearly any process.

Thinking about it... the components that go into our RV's are very good quality. Well designed and assembled. Because, if no other reason, because it the same assembly every time and with time, proficiency increases.

But assembly of the RV itself does not lend itself to proficiency. Its simply slapping materials together. Not quality assemblies, and by crews with little or no understanding of "why" things need to be done in a certain way.

Sadly, most of the dealership service techs come from the same mold.

Pirate
Old 10-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #12

Colorado
It seems to me that there is an opportunity in this business for a new entrant with a fresh ground up design that focuses on quality. Maybe I am way off the mark on this. I know the manufacturers are fighting weight and cost but my gut tells me there is a game changer out there. No industry that is generally this bad should survive intact.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
It seems to me that there is an opportunity in this business for a new entrant with a fresh ground up design that focuses on quality. Maybe I am way off the mark on this. I know the manufacturers are fighting weight and cost but my gut tells me there is a game changer out there. No industry that is generally this bad should survive intact.
Unfortunately it does...

Every now and again a new company will come along with a superior product. One of two things seems to happen. They price their product fairly but because they aren't a high volume item they appear over priced, and soon go out of business because they can't sell enough, or they end up being bought out by one of the big boys and the quality soon goes to hell in a handbasket. I have been around RV's a good portion of my life (30+ years), and I am one of those people that is always poking, prodding, looking, researching and comparing.

There have been quite a few decent manufacturers in the past, but they no longer exist today because profits and stock holders drive the business. It is profits first everything else be damned. Some quality manufacturers from the past: Sunline, Teton, Heartland (got sucked up by Thor) and Avion are a few that come to mind.

The industry is all but unregulated, it doesn't fall under any single agency and most of the standards that are touted as being met in the building of them are voluntary.

The only thing that will get the industries attention is if people quit buying, and I don't see that happening any time soon. Most of the companies are reporting record profits which means they will continue to crank things out faster and sloppier than ever.

I asked the local Camping World service manager how many of his techs had RVIA certification... he looked at me like I had 3 heads. Apparently none of them, and from talking to the guy that did our PDI they hire people and then they learn on the job. Nothing wrong with that if it is done properly, but somehow I don't think it occurs. When you consider the number and complexity of the systems in the typical RV it is mind boggling. I have a strong background in automotive, residential and industrial construction as well as a biology degree. I ended up in industrial construction. I have toured a couple of RV manufacturers, most of the people on the line aren't trained outside of someone showing them how to slap something in, they have zero background training in the why they should do something a certain way. We have this problem in my company today. Most hourly production workers don't seem to care, it is a paycheck nothing more.

Aaron
Old 10-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #14

Washington
The problem as I see it is that the "average" buyer does not read a forum like this and isn't able to see past the glitz. The CRIMINALS at the top of the company(THOR) perpetuating the FRAUD of the known issues are to blame and should suffer the consequences.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #15

California
I have a Teton & I can say without a doubt it's the best made RV out there. If anyone is looking for a used 5th wheel find yourself a used Teton you wouldn't be disappointed.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #16

Nevada
Excellent comments wahoonc and sawpilot, couldn't have said it any better.

Unlike the rest of you, I have a Denali 5th wheel. The specs on our rig claims a 50 gallon fresh tank, and it has the up-sized 10 gallon water heater, so I assume this should be a combined 60 gallons??? Whenever I fill the fresh water, knowing the tank is drained/empty (and the hot tank should be full), the most I can squeeze in is 45 gallons. I'm using one of those garden hose meters, and so far it seems fairly accurate when I test it filling a water container. The only other thing I can guess is the fresh tank drain isn't completely emptying the tank. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll run the pump after I have drained the fresh tank and see what comes out factoring in that I have some residual water in the water lines. Or maybe the 50 gallon capacity includes the water line capacity LOL

When filling the fresh water, I initially had a lot of backflow due to improper venting as no air was coming out of the vent tube. I tried filling super slow but still had backflow issues. I found that if I blow a couple of deep exhales through a small tube pressed up against the vent tube, it forces out whatever water or other blockage is in the vent tube. I'm guessing I have a low spot in the vent tube that creates a sort of "p" trap and prevents the air from venting out of the tank during fill-up.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #17

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sled169 View Post
I recently picked up a 2013 voltage V3305, specs say it should have a 96 gallon water tank on it. The last two times I have had it out after two days of fairly light use we have ran out of water. The grey systems are 70 gallons between two tanks and nether show more than 1/3 to 2/3 full so I am not sure where the 96 gallons of water is going.

This last trip I double checked that it was full by the gauge and by trying to put more water in after it was coming back up the fill spout.

Dose anyone know if the fresh water tank is actually two separate tanks that are connected with a balance hose and if the sensors are only one tank?

Has anyone ever experienced water loss during travel from the water splashing back up the fill spout?

Is there any tricks to making sure it is full?

I am getting ready to go on a nine day trip and don't want to run out of water. Our last trailer had 110 gallons of fresh and we never came close to using that much water even in on a week long trip.
I have had the same trouble as the rest of you. Someone wrote this earlier here, once I would start to fill, I would probably get maybe 40 gallons in there when the water started to come out the fill hole (thinking the tank was full) but everyone is correct here saying that the vent system isn't venting adequately. I used a 3/8" piece of vinyl tubing and just blow some air through the vent and then the tank starts to burp like crazy, then I can just go to town filling the rest of the way up.

I did take it in for some other minor issues and they had told me that the vent hose was kinked a bit so the shortened the vent line. They claim they have tried it out and said is solved the problem. I have my doubts. Haven't tried it yet but will soon. If that wasn't the problem then I can chalk it up to a poor design and continue to use my vinyl tubing.

Make sure you are careful. Don't try to pressure the air out with water by sealing off the the fill line and letting the full pressure of the city water pressure up the tank. There is a risk of over pressuring the water tank, that will create much more of an issue....just a thought

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
The problem as I see it is that the "average" buyer does not read a forum like this and isn't able to see past the glitz. The CRIMINALS at the top of the company(THOR) perpetuating the FRAUD of the known issues are to blame and should suffer the consequences.
Technically they aren't criminals and they aren't perpetuating fraud. I think you would have a hard time getting that one to court.

Poor business practices and poor ethics... absolutely. Caveat Emptor.

Eventually it may catch up to them. What I find interesting is that the RV industry is about as close to free market as you can get, and see what it gets you. Capitalism at it's finest.

Face it, RV's are a luxury no one really HAS to have one. I for one do a lot of research before I put down my money.

Aaron
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoemc View Post
Excellent comments wahoonc and sawpilot, couldn't have said it any better.

Unlike the rest of you, I have a Denali 5th wheel. The specs on our rig claims a 50 gallon fresh tank, and it has the up-sized 10 gallon water heater, so I assume this should be a combined 60 gallons??? Whenever I fill the fresh water, knowing the tank is drained/empty (and the hot tank should be full), the most I can squeeze in is 45 gallons. I'm using one of those garden hose meters, and so far it seems fairly accurate when I test it filling a water container. The only other thing I can guess is the fresh tank drain isn't completely emptying the tank. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll run the pump after I have drained the fresh tank and see what comes out factoring in that I have some residual water in the water lines. Or maybe the 50 gallon capacity includes the water line capacity LOL

When filling the fresh water, I initially had a lot of backflow due to improper venting as no air was coming out of the vent tube. I tried filling super slow but still had backflow issues. I found that if I blow a couple of deep exhales through a small tube pressed up against the vent tube, it forces out whatever water or other blockage is in the vent tube. I'm guessing I have a low spot in the vent tube that creates a sort of "p" trap and prevents the air from venting out of the tank during fill-up.
I can think of 3 possible issues...
  1. Vent Line is kinked or partially blocked
  2. Procurement and Marketing forgot to get together on the tank size (happens A LOT in the RV industry)
  3. Tank isn't emptying all the way

I would suggest using the drain down valve and then pressurize the tank to make sure it is completely empty.

Aaron
Old 10-02-2014, 12:50 AM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post

Make sure you are careful. Don't try to pressure the air out with water by sealing off the the fill line and letting the full pressure of the city water pressure up the tank. There is a risk of over pressuring the water tank, that will create much more of an issue....just a thought
I totally agree with the issues of over pressure and I did not intend to imply that's what I do. I use my pressure regulators even on my home tap and then never have the taboos more then half way. No chance to over pressure that way. I was in aware of the fill hoses prior to this thread so now I have one on order.

Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote