Fresh water tank issues - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2014, 02:01 AM   #21

South Carolina
We just fill ours slowly. The fact that Camping World and others sell these devices is evidence enough the "vent air up the same hose the water comes in" design has room for improvement. The "fix" is obvious and cheap. Our fresh tank is under a kitchen seat. Unscrew a lid, and you can see it. Perhaps I'll add some kind of a peep-hole.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #22

Alberta
Hey did you guys ever think that the fill hose was not installed correctly . Mine sure wasn't it would only let me put in 30 gallons . The problem was the fill hose would go below the bottom of the water tank by four inches . I took off the belly of the trailer and found this out and I also checked out the vent hose it really should be bigger because you filling a tank with a half inch or larger hose and you can only let so much air out through a 3/8 hole if that.

D and C 12 voltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #23

Idaho
Had the same problem with our 2014 3600. Got doused a couple of times when the "Geyser" decided to burp the backed up air out of the fill line -vice- the vent tube. Service techs looked at the issue twice at Camping World for other warranty issues, 2nd time they noted that the vent tube was too long and shortened it by a foot. We haven't noted any additional problems with it since then, but that along with the SaniFlush inlet that was installed backwards (for the rear Black Tank flush) simply added to my confidence in Dutchmen's product QC. Still waiting to get my unit back with new slide-out motors and rails for the main living area. Fingers crossed. Confidence is NOT high...
RNSMAC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #24

California
After getting only about half of the fresh water into the tank, I took a piece of garden hose and blew air into the breather opening on my 2014 Voltage 3950 and then I heard the water gurgle and then a rush of air came out of the breather vent and now was able to finish the fill with no problems......thanks to everyone for your advice
Dyver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:59 AM   #25

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyver2 View Post
After getting only about half of the fresh water into the tank, I took a piece of garden hose and blew air into the breather opening on my 2014 Voltage 3950 and then I heard the water gurgle and then a rush of air came out of the breather vent and now was able to finish the fill with no problems......thanks to everyone for your advice
I have a 2014 Voltage 3905 and have also run into this problem...thought i was full, but ran out of water WAY too fast. Next time, I accidentally must have pressurized the system for I had that burst of air and voila, all of a sudden she took on MUCH more water. I will have to try out the hose and/or neck filler to see if they prevent the pressure build-up but still allow in the actual amount of water.
PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #26

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post
I have had the same trouble as the rest of you. Someone wrote this earlier here, once I would start to fill, I would probably get maybe 40 gallons in there when the water started to come out the fill hole (thinking the tank was full) but everyone is correct here saying that the vent system isn't venting adequately. I used a 3/8" piece of vinyl tubing and just blow some air through the vent and then the tank starts to burp like crazy, then I can just go to town filling the rest of the way up.

I did take it in for some other minor issues and they had told me that the vent hose was kinked a bit so the shortened the vent line. They claim they have tried it out and said is solved the problem. I have my doubts. Haven't tried it yet but will soon. If that wasn't the problem then I can chalk it up to a poor design and continue to use my vinyl tubing.

Make sure you are careful. Don't try to pressure the air out with water by sealing off the the fill line and letting the full pressure of the city water pressure up the tank. There is a risk of over pressuring the water tank, that will create much more of an issue....just a thought
UPDATE: The kinked vent line was the problem. was able to fill as fast as the hydrant put out.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #27

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post
UPDATE: The kinked vent line was the problem. was able to fill as fast as the hydrant put out.
so did you drop the underbelly to access the vent line to un-kink?
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #28

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
Can't answer for Hazerdous but I sure hope the answer would be no. I am going out to check mine in a few minutes. I will just be pulling the basement panel to the left of the vent hose and hope to find a problem there.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #29

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Can't answer for Hazerdous but I sure hope the answer would be no. I am going out to check mine in a few minutes. I will just be pulling the basement panel to the left of the vent hose and hope to find a problem there.
That's what I'm hopping as well. My coach is in storage as we still have too much snow for use so it will be a while before I can check. Was just curious.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #30

Arizona
Quote:
That's what I'm hopping as well. My coach is in storage as we still have too much snow for use so it will be a while before I can check. Was just curious.

Well, I was just under there and from what I can see the hose is not kinked. I am one of the people that has put pressure to the vent tube and got more water into the tank.

So while in the basement, I disconnected the vent tube and started filling the tank. I cound not feel any pressuse coming out, but I could hear air movement with the hose to my ear. When I started filling the tank I sucked on the tube (with tank reading 3/4 full) I got only air. After more water went into the tank I started drawing water out of the vent tube with my mount. Eventually water started coming out the fill tube.

Now I am draining the tank from the low water drain. I have one of those digital water hose meters. I need to see how much comes out so I will know how full the tank was. In the last hour or so I have drained about 50 gallons.

On an off subject note. I found the slide controller to my large slide flashing.

Now I am working on that while I wait for the tank to finish draining.

On edit....I just checked the the water again. With 90 gallons on the meter my gauge inside read empty. I should have been checking the inside gauge before I got to the 90 gallons.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #31

Colorado
Quote:
Not exactly sure. The dealer did it when I took it in for Warranty repairs

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 08-09-2015, 03:22 AM   #32

Arizona
I wanted to pass along a big thank you to everyone who participated in this thread on the issue with filling the water tanks, no matter how old it was! We had the same problem today, looked up the issue on this site, and had it resolved quickly....( putting air pressure in the vent to burp the system).
We appreciate all of the honesty and straight forward answers from the members of this site....a big Bravo Zulu ( job well done) to all of you!
2015 Polaris Ranger 900 EPS
Aztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #33

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztex View Post
I wanted to pass along a big thank you to everyone who participated in this thread on the issue with filling the water tanks, no matter how old it was! We had the same problem today, looked up the issue on this site, and had it resolved quickly....( putting air pressure in the vent to burp the system).
We appreciate all of the honesty and straight forward answers from the members of this site....a big Bravo Zulu ( job well done) to all of you!
When ever you take it back to the dealer for any work, make sure they look at your vent system, my vent hose was too long and was kinked, they shortened it and I have no more issues with filling fresh water.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 05-19-2020, 12:45 AM   #34

Wyoming
Where is the vent located?
coues7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #35

Florida
mine has a small hole just above the fill that is supposed to vent the tank. When I first got my RV, there was an issue filling the tank and it would only hold a few gallons of water then splash back. Took it in for service and they found a piece of plastic covering the hold for the vent (in the tank).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #36

Nevada
I use a hard plastic straw that fits over the vent just above the fill hole. If the water comes out long before the tanks are filled, I blow on the straw, a blast of air comes out, and then I can finish filling the tanks.

Bumpa is offline   Reply With Quote