Fresh Water Fill Mystery - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Thumbs up Fresh Water Fill Mystery

Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while…

Last year I discovered that I could not fill the fresh water tanks more than 1/3 full. I never needed to before since we usually just carry that much for the road, but did need to last October and couldn’t. The fill neck would top off and wouldn’t drain into the tanks at that point no matter how long I waited. There’s 2-50 gallon tanks plumbed together.

I figured on dropping the underbelly this spring and fixing whatever plumbing quark was causing it since you cannot see anything behind the interior panels, tanks and lines are under the flooring.

Yesterday while I was sanitizing the system, on an impulse, I took a piece of hose and blew into the vent line to see if it was clogged. There was a good bit of water in it and after clearing it, air blew out for almost a full minute (it was already at 1/3 full on the gauge and the fill neck was full). There was lots of “glugging” and the fill tube drained down into the tanks. My guess is the head pressure of the full vent line could not be overcome. I can now fill to my heart’s content. Never had that happen before since most manufacturers will plumb the vent line to be self draining. (glad I didn't drop that underbelly)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	4000  

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:38 AM   #2

Washington
I had the same problem. I found that both the fill and vent hoses were about 6 inches too long. This allowed them to sag and not let the tanks vent or fill properly. An easy fix is to remove the three screws holding the fill/vent hose inlet and pull it out. then remover each hose and pull taut and remove the excess and reinstall on the inlet. Of course I found this out after removing the under belly and fooling around underneath for an hour investigating.

bdlharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlharper View Post
I had the same problem. I found that both the fill and vent hoses were about 6 inches too long. This allowed them to sag and not let the tanks vent or fill properly. An easy fix is to remove the three screws holding the fill/vent hose inlet and pull it out. then remover each hose and pull taut and remove the excess and reinstall on the inlet. Of course I found this out after removing the under belly and fooling around underneath for an hour investigating.
Yep, sounds like a good plan...

Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #4

Tennessee
First rule of troubleshooting a Dutchman product, Dutchman probably caused the trouble to begin with.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
First rule of troubleshooting a Dutchman product, Dutchman probably caused the trouble to begin with.
Indeed. And likely with "too much" or "excess".......
It is obvious the culprit is almost always something you can relate to building it as FAST as you can.

I have few complaints with the actual materials used or components chosen. They're mostly modern and sufficient. But the HURRY is the obvious explanation for the shortcuts.

Those folks at the assembly line must work under some serious angst.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
It is obvious the culprit is almost always something you can relate to building it as FAST as you can.

I have few complaints with the actual materials used or components chosen. They're mostly modern and sufficient. But the HURRY is the obvious explanation for the shortcuts.

From what I have read they are paid by the piece, so the more they put in the more they make. And apparently they aren't held accountable of the ones put in wrong.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #7

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
From what I have read they are paid by the piece, so the more they put in the more they make. And apparently they aren't held accountable of the ones put in wrong.

Aaron
Every time I think about the "build quality" of these units... I think about the final phase of the old Michael Keaton movie, "Gung Ho".
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #8

Ohio
This seems to be a common problem, I have 2012 Voltage 3200 and have researched for a fix but have come empty handed short of pulling my fresh water tanks, there is a problem with the vent tubing between the tanks? I have found out if you take one of those brass garden hose that you get at big box store that is tapered to a tip that is about 1/4" in diameter and I drilled it out insert some 1/4" copper tubing so it is about 12" long and I soldered it to the brass nozzle and insert that into the fill neck I can put a 160 gallons of water in my tanks in about 45 minutes, I am on city water and I also have one those garden hose gallon measuring meter that also tells how water I am putting in so in doing that you filling slower but also letting the tank vent through the fill neck. Yes....it sounds like a PITA but it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #9

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
You really can't imagine it.
Living in Northern Indiana I am in the Heart of the RV Industry.
2 SIL's and a Nephew all work in different ones... and have made darn good carriers out of it for many years.
Not only are they paid by the unit finished, they get to go home as soon as the days quota is met. FULL THROTTLE start to finish.
When a new guy starts they throw 'em out there with a Team Leader to watch. But that same Team Leader is watching and assisting many others.
They are held accountable in a sense, If after a week or so the new guy can't cut it, they let them go.... but there is a weeks worth of units out the door he potentially screwed up on.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
You really can't imagine it.
Living in Northern Indiana I am in the Heart of the RV Industry.
2 SIL's and a Nephew all work in different ones... and have made darn good carriers out of it for many years.
Not only are they paid by the unit finished, they get to go home as soon as the days quota is met. FULL THROTTLE start to finish.
When a new guy starts they throw 'em out there with a Team Leader to watch. But that same Team Leader is watching and assisting many others.
They are held accountable in a sense, If after a week or so the new guy can't cut it, they let them go.... but there is a weeks worth of units out the door he potentially screwed up on.
That would explain a lot. My unit must have been built by a whole crew of "new guys". Mine was so bad that Keystone was still covering major issues under warranty a year after the warranty expired. To this day I'm still fixing things that are factory craftsmanship/quality control problems, hidden issues that no pre-delivery walk through would ever catch. Just my luck. Thankfully I'm able to handle most issues, I just shouldn't have to be dealing with it at this stage of the game still. Having bought seven new RVs in my day, I expected some problems to deal with, I never expected what I got with this one. Hopefully some day I'll get finished...